Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
If you belong to the UA program and have kept your boarding pass, you should be able to get mileage credit for the AC flight. Not much, I realize, but better than nothing.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:31 am

I booked the flight on AA.com without any insurance. The flight was at 9:30pm and I was told it got canceled due to mechanical reasons when I reached JFK at 7:30pm, so it's too late to cancel my hotel room even though it was a flexible rate. I contacted Sheraton at Montreal and they were happy to apply credit for a later stay, so the hotel side is all good.

What I really want is the $60 baggage fee AC charged me, I don't really care for the miles, since it's only 300 miles or so.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Central90210

What I really want is the $60 baggage fee AC charged me, I don't really care for the miles, since it's only 300 miles or so.
This is completely reasonable for a mechanical-related rebooking. Whether or not they'll do it is another story (and I disagree with the assessment of "harsh" responses as they're more toward realism, and that's better than nicer, but inaccurate, answers).

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Though luck getting your bag fees back... AA once rebooked me on LH after a cancellation, who originally charged me EUR 500(!) for baggage and dog (their outrageous AVIH charges being one reason why I left them in the first place). Wanted to get the difference between that and the $150 I would have had to pay on AA refunded but CS said "no".
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by hillrider
You have no passenger protections in the USA, and in its unilateral contract of carriage AA does not offer any compensation (it doesn't even guarantee when it will get you at your destination), so what you got is what you got. You can ask for more, but you have no rights.
That's true. Only way to get AA to comply is for the politicians to change the rules.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, EXP, Hilton Diamond
I had three separate AA flights in a 24-hour period cancelled last week in YYZ and JFK, resulting in two missed meetings. The GA's were fantastic, the AAngels were friendly and efficient and I eventually made it through the day and home to SFO (sadly, via LAX due to the third cancellation) the next day. I wrote an email to customer service applauding the helpfulness and efficiency of the staff, but wanting to point out that 3x times in 24-hours was a little rough :-) I received a 7500 mileage credit email from AAdvantage this AM.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dfwgolfer1
Wow, roughly put replies.
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
I agree. Tough crowd today. If this was mechanical or something within AA's control, I think AA should have to pay for reasonable expenses incurred as a result of its failure. Whether they have to pay or will pay is a different story. At the very least, you might get some bonus miles (but this would only be in AA's program not your OW alliance airline).
I respectfully disagree. Just because someone does not agree with the OP that he deserves compensation (as an example, OP thinks that AA should pay him for the hotel room he did not occupy in addition to paying for the hotel room he did occupy) is not "rough" - it is real world. So is the notion that any compensation would be in AA miles, not in CX miles. If OP wanted validation for his compensation dreams, he should ask elsewhere, if he wants to know what AA will do, it isn't "rough" to tell him. Note that OP has not told us the reason for the cancellation and has not followed FT rules and looked in the Compensation master thread, where the answer to his questions has already been posted many times. OP has not told us his status, which could make a difference. Given OP's cavalier attitude toward us and his totally unrealistic attitude toward AA, I would say he has been treated with kid gloves.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gemac
I respectfully disagree. Just because someone does not agree with the OP that he deserves compensation (as an example, OP thinks that AA should pay him for the hotel room he did not occupy in addition to paying for the hotel room he did occupy) is not "rough" - it is real world. So is the notion that any compensation would be in AA miles, not in CX miles. If OP wanted validation for his compensation dreams, he should ask elsewhere, if he wants to know what AA will do, it isn't "rough" to tell him. Note that OP has not told us the reason for the cancellation and has not followed FT rules and looked in the Compensation master thread, where the answer to his questions has already been posted many times. OP has not told us his status, which could make a difference. Given OP's cavalier attitude toward us and his totally unrealistic attitude toward AA, I would say he has been treated with kid gloves.
Well had you read all the posts you would have read the OPs 2nd post , post #11 where they said the CX was due to MX. Which Im sort of surprised at since NYC was experiencing a rain storm at the time, the Yankee game was held up 3x last night till they finally called it off after bottom of the 6th so Boston gets the Win

But Im sure if it was WX AA wouldnt have sprung for what it did

Also the OP said the Hoetl at YUL agreed to let them use the credit towards a future night so the OP was OK with that. Which brings all down to the $60 they had to pay AC for the bags.IMO fwiw I think AA should refund any amount over what they would have charged the OP, so if the OP would have had free bags then $60 is due to them, if the OP would have paid AA $25 then $35 is due

I dont know if AA didnt have any room on its flights but before FIMing anyone to another carrier any carrier should make sure that the person understands they will be on the hook if any fees are charged. Now if AA told the OP that , then the OP is SOL, if they didnt AA should be SOL. After all AA could have flown the bags as cargo on its flight and delievered them to the OP, probably for almost the same $$
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. There is no such thing as a unilateral contract. By definition a contract is agreed to by at least two parties. OP agreed. He doesn't like the result.

2. Sure, change the law. The Eurocrats did. Instead of purchasing private trip insurance for those who can't afford an occasional inconvenience, we can have the government order private business to shell our money and raise prices accordingly.

How's that EU money thing working?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have moved your question to the Compensation thread. /Moderator

Few (if any) airlines pay for consequential damages - e.g. the Montreal hotel. You could request the baggage fees, but I don't think AA can grant Original Routing Credit for an airline other than AA- you will probably have to take that issue up with Cathay Pacific.

Hello, my flight last week to Montreal (4463) got canceled when I reached JFK.

They rebooked me on AC the next morning and gave me transfer (JFK-LGA) and a night's accommodation at (an extremely rundown) Fairfield (they originally only offered transfer with no accommodation until I insisted).

Anyway, I was wondering if it is fair to ask AA to pay for my hotel night at Montreal that was lost as a result of the flight cancellation, as well as the baggage fees AC charged me (I get 2 free as a OW Ruby).

If its fair, can anyone enlighten me the best way to get compensated? Also, can I still get miles (CX) for the segment on AC as per my original itinerary?

Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:13 pm

Thanks to those who gave me helpful and constructive feedback. Apologies for not originally posting this in the compensation master thread, I didn't know it existed even though I did go through search and the first 10 or so pages.

The only reason why I opted for AA over say AC or WS is because of my OW Ruby benefit of 2 free checked bags, I personally try to avoid AA whenever possible due to obvious reasons. Hence I find it really unfair I had to shell out $60 for checking bags on AC when I was booked on AA, on top of being inconvenienced greatly (I was re-booked on a 6:30am flight, meaning I needed to be at LGA by 5am).

Another thing that made me really upset is how rude and unhelpful the AA staff (both agent and manager) at JFK were, not once did they apologize and they even initially refused to grant me accommodation and transfer, treating me like a third world riff raff. This delay and cancelation was entirely AA's fault, I shouldn't be responsible for any of their faults whatsoever.

jmayo: mind letting me know the email address you used to contact AA? Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Just a follow up on baggage fees. I had a flight today Europe-JFK-DCA. Europe-JFK was 2 hours late for mechanical reasons (the pilot mentioned replacing a radio). I missed my JFK-DCA flight due to that delay and the next flight was oversold. AA rebooked me to USAir our of LGA who asked for $25 to check my larger suitcase. Any chance of getting the money back? Of course then there was weather and my USAir flight was cancelled. Grrr
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
jmayo: mind letting me know the email address you used to contact AA? Thanks.
Ok, I have to say this, but you might try going to aa.com and see if they have a contact us section. On their home screen, towards the bottom, it clearly says Customer Service, and underneath it, Contact American. Lots of other informative data can be found there.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by ckendall
Just a follow up on baggage fees. I had a flight today Europe-JFK-DCA. Europe-JFK was 2 hours late for mechanical reasons (the pilot mentioned replacing a radio). I missed my JFK-DCA flight due to that delay and the next flight was oversold. AA rebooked me to USAir out of LGA who asked for $25 to check my larger suitcase. Any chance of getting the money back? Of course then there was weather and my USAir flight was cancelled. Grrr
Follow up on this follow up: as noted by other posters, there was no refund of my $25 baggage fees but I did receive 10K bonus miles and a promise for ORC which should appear in two days.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ckendall
Follow up on this follow up: as noted by other posters, there was no refund of my $25 baggage fees but I did receive 10K bonus miles and a promise for ORC which should appear in two days.
Thanks for the follow up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.