Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
It seems reasonable here too. If you had been downgraded for the TATL, that would be different.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it was 16,000 points per passenger downgraded, then that doesn't seem too bad for a downgrade on ATL-ORD; if this was the total for all 3, then I think it is very poor

That the international flight was still in 1st class is irrelevent

The US could do with some rules like the EU regulations regarding downgrading/denying boarding imo to provide a standard policy on downgrading
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by umaa83
Seems reasonable to me too, if not more than adequate. I suspect you didn't use the miles for a F ticket on a 90 minute ATL-ORD flight, you used it for ORD-LHR which is what you got
No, he used it for an ATL-LHR trip in 1st class which is NOT what he got
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If it was 16,000 points per passenger downgraded, then that doesn't seem too bad for a downgrade on ATL-ORD; if this was the total for all 3, then I think it is very poor

That the international flight was still in 1st class is irrelevent

The US could do with some rules like the EU regulations regarding downgrading/denying boarding imo to provide a standard policy on downgrading
It was a total of 16,000 Miles for all three passengers that were downgraded.
Yes we need some FAA level rules.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
It would cost 5k miles each to upgrade from a full economy fare on that flight. Seems reasonable to get about 5k miles each to downgrade.

Frankly, given the treatment others have recently reported, you were lucky to get that phone call.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Sounds more than fair to me. One small segment of a multi-segment booking downgraded for a flight 1-1/2 hours this is more than adequate. Vouchers for food were given, don't understand what more OP is entitled to. Don't know how one would expect a plane with 9 seats in F would have 4 open F seats within 24-hours of flight time. Back of the plane is no more noisy than any other part, so really a non-sequitor. If one were to prorate the whole trip over the number of miles the redemption cost, 5K+ per person (who flew coach) is about 10% of the inflight time on an 10-hour in air one-way (62.5K).

Last edited by Shareholder; Jul 8, 2013 at 10:31 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
No, he used it for an ATL-LHR trip in 1st class which is NOT what he got
Although in principle I agree, the OP agreed to take a flight that didn't offer enough F space to ORD, therefore F to the international gateway was not that important. The moment their flight was cancelled/delayed, the OP could have tried a different routing through MIA/DFW, split up, or used a different date if flying F to an international gateway was that important to them. Obviously it wasn't, therefore I feel AA's compensation is more than adequate. Heck, assuming F was available on BA's flight from ATL to LHR, they probably would have had a case to be put on their nonstop without fees.

If AA could prove that the OP's original flight crew had timed out due to weather (if I were a betting man, I would bet that it was given the two airports involved), the OP is technically owed nothing, except for F space on the next available flight or, at the OPs choosing, a downgrade to Y on the next available flight, which is what they did.

If the OP want's to get compensation from AA for sitting in economy to ORD, I would also fight for compensation that one passenger had to sit in F (if one even wants to call it that) on an AE flight. Big difference from mainline F (assuming they were booked mainline F to begin with).

I value my time a heck of a lot more than to pursue this issue with AA for 90 minutes in coach.

Last edited by umaa83; Jul 8, 2013 at 10:37 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Back of the plane is no more noisy than any other part, so really a non-sequitor.
It was a CRJ - the back of the plane is most definitely louder than the front.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sinanju
Frankly, given the treatment others have recently reported, you were lucky to get that phone call.
On the plus side, the 1 F seat didnt get taken by a FAM

Originally Posted by lovely15
It was a CRJ - the back of the plane is most definitely louder than the front.
I think that holds true for all aircraft. More pronounced on a CRJ/ERJ/MD80 though.

OP - its not an ideal situation, but given that it is a short flight and your TATL flight was untouched, you fared pretty well. Cheers and enjoy your trip

Last edited by Antarius; Jul 8, 2013 at 10:38 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. The only compensation due is under the COC which would provide for a recalculation of the itinerary (ATL-ORD-LHR-XXX-ATL) with the first segment in Y and the remainder in F. That is likely to be zero (and would likely be $0 on a cash ticket).

2. The miles here are more likely to be a CS gesture than compensation, although it is impossible to be certain without recalculaing the miles required per ticket for the new itinerary.

3. The gesture is fine.

4. Anybody here who wants the US to enact EU-Nanny rules ought to consider that those come at a cost: higher fares / more miles required or fewer elite perks (try finding a freebie UG on an EU carrier). Be careful what you wish for.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by atlandy
It was a total of 16,000 Miles for all three passengers that were downgraded.
Yes we need some FAA level rules.
5,333 miles for a downgrade is a risible offer imo.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Often1

4. Anybody here who wants the US to enact EU-Nanny rules ought to consider that those come at a cost: higher fares / more miles required or fewer elite perks (try finding a freebie UG on an EU carrier). Be careful what you wish for.
I disagree; it simply provides a disincentive for the airline to screw the passengers over and decent recompense for the party that was screwed over
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
There is no relationship between EU regulation and frequent flyer perks. It is a question of what the market can support.

Mideast carriers provide terrible FFP perks, and yet operate under a less regulatory environment than even the US (when it comes to compensation, labor laws, etc).
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
5,333 miles for a downgrade is a risible offer imo.
For a sub-2-hour flight? I don't think it's that bad.

Bottom line, they were downgraded for 606 miles out of a total of 9118. The difference between the F award and a Y award was 65K miles. 65K x 606 / 9115 = 4320.

So 5333 would seem to be quite fair.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why did the crew "time out" for the ATL-ORD flight? I'm guessing it was weather - as in the recent storms that plagued the midwest. They probably got in very late. If so, then IMO the OP should be glad they made it to ORD and their First Class Suites for the long ride to London. Downgraded on ATL-ORD? Let it go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.