Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Congratulations! ^ Good job!

Originally Posted by CO777ER
Date 7/7/13
AAdvantage Status None
Fare class P (Domestic First)
What happened Oversold
Compensation $500 and a confirmed first seat on a flight 1 hour later
Comments
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atlandy
Some questions have come up in replies and I am going to try to clarify.
Thanks for the additional info.

Originally Posted by atlandy
The original flight was AA 3876 on June 8th.
In previous cases where AA canceled a flight out of Atlanta on us we were offered transportation on Delta for no additional cost. Considering we had a TATL flight to connect to and were in First Class is it reasonable to expect the agent at the counter in ATL to offer other transportation options (BA direct, DL to ORD, UA to ORD)?
Given that it's been a month, difficult to tell whether Chicago weather was the cause of the crew timing out and the cause of the flight cancellation.

AA could have re-routed you to ORD on DL or UA, but if AA had just one F seat, what are the odds that DL or UA would have four?

BA nonstop to LHR? Same question: What do you think the odds are that BA would have four empty F seats from ATL to LHR that day?

While sitting in the back of a lousy regional jet wasn't ideal, AA managed to get you to ORD in time for you to sit in your original F seats, and let's be honest here - the F seats to London were the real treat of the trip, not some F seats on a CRJ700 on a 600 mile connecting flight. Sitting in the back of that CRJ didn't ruin the trip. And AA ain't going to refund tens of thousands of miles for such a minor, inconsequential, failure.

If AA had messed up your plans and thus you didn't get to keep those long-haul F seats from ORD to LHR, that would have been a major failure.

Kudos to your family for planning ahead so that one flight cancellation wouldn't completely foul your plans - at least you left enough room in the day so that the next flight would still get you to Chicago in time.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:50 am

Compensation for mechanical cancelation causing delay over +12 hrs

I used an AAnytime award ticket to fly LHR>LAX>PHX and my LAX>PHX was canceled due to mechanical issues and it was the last flight out for the day. What compensation was I entitled to receive and what was goodwill? I was put up overnight at a airport hotel without meal vouchers. Could I have been put on another airline carrier even though I was on an award ticket?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Centurion
I used an AAnytime award ticket to fly LHR>LAX>PHX and my LAX>PHX was canceled due to mechanical issues and it was the last flight out for the day. What compensation was I entitled to receive and what was goodwill? I was put up overnight at a airport hotel without meal vouchers. Could I have been put on another airline carrier even though I was on an award ticket?
Hmm... since the flight that was cancelled is not covered by EU regulations ( unlike the LHR-LAX leg ) , I think that you are entitled to hotels/meals and thats about it
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:54 am

Thanks, That is what I was trying to determine if EU regs come into play since I had a connection in the USA (no stopover) to my final destination and plus it was an AA one way award ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(Search term {"compensation"})

Cheers.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT
7/7/13 - DCA-LAX/LAX-SFO

Booked an anytime award ticket, one way, DCA-LAX-SFO on 7/7 at 5:00p. Obviously due to the crash at SFO everything was messed up. I proactively booked a fully refundable virgin flight LAX-SJC on 7/8 at 12:55p just in case I was stuck in LA for the night. When I got on the DCA-LAX leg they asked for volunteers for $500 and a reroute through JFK. I knew these were flown by 767 so I agreed. When I was signing my paperwork the gate agent bumped me into first class DCA-JFK, and then 3 class first, JFK-LAX. She did not book the remaining LAX-SFO leg, and I did not notice this because I was pretty pleased at getting my voucher as well as the double class upgrade. She also mentioned that I could call revenue management and request to have miles redeposited because I took a bump.

Of course, weather swooped into DC and my DCA-JFK leg was delayed until after the JFK-LAX leg. I was in the admirals club this entire time, and the agent agreed that I scored on the double upgrade transcon. When it was clear that I was not going to be making the JFK-LAX leg, she confirmed me IAD-LAX, in F, on 7/8 at 8:55a. She also reiterated the suggestion of contacting management to get my miles reinstated.

Upon landing at LAX I immediately high-tailed it over to the admirals club where the angels were able to put me on the standby list LAX-SFO at 12:05p. Unfortunately, even as platinum, I was #27 on the list. The angel muttered something – made some key strokes, called the gate, and said to me – “can you hurry down there? I just manually overrode you #1 on the standby list – you have to be there if they call your name” At this point, extremely grateful, I rushed down to the gate and after confirming with me my name, handed two non-revs tickets, and then said to me ‘the final seat is yours if they do not show up’ Last board called – the gate agent told me to follow her onto the plane – tore the previous passengers ticket so it was just a stub with a seat number, 12B. This seat turned out to be between an extremely large man (easily 6’5”, 350+ lbs) who spilled so much into the middle seat it was obvious that he had purchased both 12A and B. He was very surprised to have me sitting next to him, and humorously there was a woman with a cat in her lap in 12C. I’m 6’1, 165lbs so this was a fairly comical scene.

My questions are as follows:

A) Should I request my miles to be reimbursed, per the gate agent and admirals club angel?
B) If so, should I request mileage credit for my new flights IAD-LAX-SFO?
C) If I do this – there is no ticket number for LAX-SFO, I was literally handed a torn stub which I still have
D) While grateful to get bumped to number 1 on the standby list and therefore able to get on the flight, was I improperly passed over by the gate agent by handing out actual seats to non revs while I was clearly given the last minute option?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:15 pm

Forgot to add a point or two:

E) Can I request credit of the car that took me between DCA-IAD?
F) I cancelled my virgin ticket while i was boarding - hence I did not have time to properly state my point about the non-rev to the GA
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by 310mrl
Forgot to add a point or two:

E) Can I request credit of the car that took me between DCA-IAD?
F) I cancelled my virgin ticket while i was boarding - hence I did not have time to properly state my point about the non-rev to the GA
How are you sure there were two non-revs? Special access to AA systems? Uniformed crew (if that's how you made your determination) could have been flying positive space to start work.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by 310mrl
7/7/13 - DCA-LAX/LAX-SFO

Booked an anytime award ticket, one way, DCA-LAX-SFO on 7/7 at 5:00p. Obviously due to the crash at SFO everything was messed up. I proactively booked a fully refundable virgin flight LAX-SJC on 7/8 at 12:55p just in case I was stuck in LA for the night. When I got on the DCA-LAX leg they asked for volunteers for $500 and a reroute through JFK. I knew these were flown by 767 so I agreed. When I was signing my paperwork the gate agent bumped me into first class DCA-JFK, and then 3 class first, JFK-LAX. She did not book the remaining LAX-SFO leg, and I did not notice this because I was pretty pleased at getting my voucher as well as the double class upgrade. She also mentioned that I could call revenue management and request to have miles redeposited because I took a bump.

Of course, weather swooped into DC and my DCA-JFK leg was delayed until after the JFK-LAX leg. I was in the admirals club this entire time, and the agent agreed that I scored on the double upgrade transcon. When it was clear that I was not going to be making the JFK-LAX leg, she confirmed me IAD-LAX, in F, on 7/8 at 8:55a. She also reiterated the suggestion of contacting management to get my miles reinstated.

Upon landing at LAX I immediately high-tailed it over to the admirals club where the angels were able to put me on the standby list LAX-SFO at 12:05p. Unfortunately, even as platinum, I was #27 on the list. The angel muttered something – made some key strokes, called the gate, and said to me – “can you hurry down there? I just manually overrode you #1 on the standby list – you have to be there if they call your name” At this point, extremely grateful, I rushed down to the gate and after confirming with me my name, handed two non-revs tickets, and then said to me ‘the final seat is yours if they do not show up’ Last board called – the gate agent told me to follow her onto the plane – tore the previous passengers ticket so it was just a stub with a seat number, 12B. This seat turned out to be between an extremely large man (easily 6’5”, 350+ lbs) who spilled so much into the middle seat it was obvious that he had purchased both 12A and B. He was very surprised to have me sitting next to him, and humorously there was a woman with a cat in her lap in 12C. I’m 6’1, 165lbs so this was a fairly comical scene.

My questions are as follows:

A) Should I request my miles to be reimbursed, per the gate agent and admirals club angel?
B) If so, should I request mileage credit for my new flights IAD-LAX-SFO?
C) If I do this – there is no ticket number for LAX-SFO, I was literally handed a torn stub which I still have
D) While grateful to get bumped to number 1 on the standby list and therefore able to get on the flight, was I improperly passed over by the gate agent by handing out actual seats to non revs while I was clearly given the last minute option?

Thanks for your thoughts!
We met yesterday at the AC.

You could try to get your miles back, but they got you from point A to point B, so I don't think you have much ground to stand on. It's doubtful you would get the mileage credit as well. I feel request E is reasonable. Otherwise you are at the mercy of AA for taking the bump. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:12 am

How long did it take you to make it home?

I am actually quite pleased with how the situation was handled. I'm curious about the mileage redemption since I had two different people mention it to me completely unprovoked.

And yes - uniformed crew. One pilot one flight attendant. I assume non-rev because they were handed boarding passes only when people were not showing up for the flight, literally moments before handing me my seat.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not happy with compensation offer - continue to push?

Long story short - DEN-ORD departure at 6PM turned into 2AM after a series of screwups that were so bad all I could do was laugh (we boarded the same plane four times till they decided it was too broken to fly).

I had used 2 500 milers to upgrade, and my "F" seat on the replacement plane the tray table was taped shut with an inop sticker. Food was loaded at 6PM, so was too old to use. Got $300 voucher for the delay (on an $800 ticket), but when I asked for my 2 500 milers back, I was told that their voucher "represents an amount we believe to be fair and reasonable.".

I disagree - had I just stayed in the back, I would have at least had a tray table to use and get some work done. Do I just add this to the disappointment, or push for them back? I feel they didn't deliver on the upgrade and that the voucher merely covers the flight delay.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Lol - my DEN to DFW flight did the exact same thing, except my delay went from 4 PM to 1 AM. Received 300 bucks as well. Was your APU broken too?

I would contact them and let them know about the tray table as a separate concern. Indicate that delay or no delay, the seat was not in completely usable condition and you felt that the upgrades were of limited value to you.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The upgrades sound like they were all but useless. They should return them at the least.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
My rule of thumb is to push only one extra time, and only if they seem to have ignored or misunderstood a fact in my original request. Can't hurt to ask (and emphasize one key fact), but if they so no more, then I accept it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.