Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atlandy
Do you feel that the compensation that we were offered was adequate and if not what would you consider to be adequate compensation?
If only there were a big thread where everybody would post the compensation that they received when something went wrong, then we could go to that thread and look through it to see what others in similar circumstances have gotten.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So, I am a bit confused here attempting to figure out what occurred.

Was the ATL-ORD flight downgraded and the ORD-LHR flight downgraded as well, or was it the ATL-ORD flight that was downgraded?

Now: as we have a consolidated compensation thread, we are merging this there - for the convenience of members, and for yours (OP) as well, so ou can see what others have garnered in compensation from AA under similar circumstances. /Mod hat on
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure that the ORD-LHR flight was not downgraded, as their acceptance of econ from ATL to ORD (three of four passengers) ensured that they arrived at ORD in time to keep their original seats.

IMO, the miles offered by AA are adequate compensation for a 600 mile CRJ700 economy experience.

F from ORD to LHR costs the same miles as from ATL. In some ways, AA gives free flights to the gateway cities. In fact, that's how the award chart described it back in the very old days.

So their "free" add-on flight from ATL to ORD was in econ? The miles returned sound fair to me.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They were denied boarding into the cabin into which they had booked and paid for a ticket after the booked flight was cancelled due to crew being absent; there is nothing in the original post to suggest any weather issues in Atlanta and not reasonable to blame bad weather happening anywhere on a continent as a weather issue

It is bad enough to effectively force the passenger to downgrade but 5,333 points compensation is derisory imo
A crew is going to time out for mainly two reasons, either weather or mechanical delay. Given the two airports involved, I would bet it was weather. I of course don't have proof that it was, but if the OP could provide the original departure date, it wouldn't take long to figure out.

If it's a mechanical delay, then I would say it's up to each individual person to determine if a 90 minute flight in Y is worth the likely several hours back and forth with AA to get them to throw out a bone. For me, I wouldn't waste my time. Now if it had been the ORD-LHR flight, different story. If F on a 90 minute flight was THAT important, I would have been asked to be put on the BA non-stop, Delta or AA F flight to ORD/MIA/DFW/JFK connecting to AA/BA in F. There's a high probability one of those combinations would have been available.

Assuming it was weather related, the OP is entitled to nothing except a confirmed seat in F on the next available flight or at the passengers choice, Y (as discussed up thread). It doesn't matter if it was weather in ORD/ATL, or weather in SEA that caused the cancellation, the OP is technically entitled to nothing and should be happy they got anything. The subject of whether or not a weather delay in SEA or some other part of the country can be used to as justification for a delay/cancellation in ATL is a whole different argument, but that's currently how the system works, not saying its right or wrong.

Last edited by umaa83; Jul 8, 2013 at 2:22 pm
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They were denied boarding into the cabin into which they had booked and paid for a ticket after the booked flight was cancelled due to crew being absent; there is nothing in the original post to suggest any weather issues in Atlanta and not reasonable to blame bad weather happening anywhere on a continent as a weather issue

It is bad enough to effectively force the passenger to downgrade but 5,333 points compensation is derisory imo
About the bolded portion: the OP of post 289 didn't tell us why the crew timed out and did not fly ORD-ATL (preventing their ATL-ORD flight from operating, as the plane was not there) but I'll bet that the cancellation of the ORD-ATL flight was due to severe thunderstorms, which hit ORD several times in June. The OP of #289 hasn't even told us when this happened, which would enable us to determine whether it was weather-related.

IMO, the OP was owed nothing and any miles returned were a gift. YMMV.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:14 pm

If that's it, yes, I agree the compo was quite good. I mean the difference between riding up front in an RJ (or 738 or MD80) and being busted to coach on a flight of under two hours duration with 777-anything in F transat the OP got most of what was paid for and particularly the important bit.

The option was to wait for the proper F seats to open up, perhaps via ORD, perhaps not, etc. etc. and it might have taken a day or two anyway.

And as the ATL-ORD flight originated in ORD timing the crew out, ORD is notorious in summer for ground holds / ATC delays caused by weather. Of course, it's notorious for delays in winter as well. There may even be a couple of months in the year ORD is not subject to weather-induced delays... I sometimes do connect at ORD - I have been skunked a number of times over the years, even planning 3-4 hours connect time; I have gtreater success planning a LIFO connection (arrive late afternoon / evening / Last In or close, overnight and depart on the First Out the next morning / day).

By the way, Dave, we use miles, not points, to secure awards on AA. (Got to tease a Qantas FF...)

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm pretty sure that the ORD-LHR flight was not downgraded, as their acceptance of econ from ATL to ORD (three of four passengers) ensured that they arrived at ORD in time to keep their original seats.

IMO, the miles offered by AA are adequate compensation for a 600 mile CRJ700 economy experience.

F from ORD to LHR costs the same miles as from ATL. In some ways, AA gives free flights to the gateway cities. In fact, that's how the award chart described it back in the very old days.

So their "free" add-on flight from ATL to ORD was in econ? The miles returned sound fair to me.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 8, 2013 at 3:22 pm
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
The mathematics is flawed

It is 62,500 points for a one way flight to Europe in 1st
It is 40,000 points for a one way flight to Europe in Economy

ORD-LHR is 3963 miles so would be 606/3953 => 15.3% of the journey

I think that 5,333 points for such a downgrade is extremely poor . The actual length of the flight is not that relevent imo in regards to involuntarily denying boarding to a passenger and then reaccommodating them in economy class
I was assuming a round trip and not taking into account off-peak awards. I was also assuming that there were no downgrades on the return. 125K - 60K = 65K.

And as Antarius pointed out, the denominator should be 4559, not 3963 (and 9118 for the RT as in my calculation).
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:28 pm

heard back from AAdvantage CS. Offered a $175 voucher each . I appreciate the
response. However I feel that a voucher is not
appropriate given the situation.

I paid 45000 extra miles each for this routing on Cathay Pacific.

05/24/13 ZP45A ASIA Z1 FIRST OW TKT -45,000 0 -45,000

One sector (HKG-NRT) was in business class even though I was charged for
1st, AND on top of that meals weren't correct during the trip.

My mom is diabetic and it's very important for her to have timely meals. This is exactly why I spend the extra miles above, for comfort and flexibility. In the end we got neither from AA.

So I am once again requesting a partial refund of the extra miles. That request was forwarded to AA CS by AAdvantage CS???
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Was the flight 2 class? If so, you are accommodated in the highest class offered. Unless it was a downgrade or IRROPS, this should be as ticketed.

When traveling on multiple carriers, I usually call each one/verify online to ensure my selection didn't get wiped out.

In addition, AA F has a pasta bar. You should have been able to get pasta with red sauce or something.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Was the flight 2 class? If so, you are accommodated in the highest class offered. Unless it was a downgrade or IRROPS, this should be as ticketed.

When traveling on multiple carriers, I usually call each one/verify online to ensure my selection didn't get wiped out.

In addition, AA F has a pasta bar. You should have been able to get pasta with red sauce or something.
yes it was 2 class flight on CX. Should've ticketed and paid for a business class awd and called CX.

lesson learned...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's family was not DG, they were rebooked onto a flight which lacked space to acommodate all 4 in F. That's the reroute they accepted. They could certainly have waited at ATL for 4F to become open or to have flown across multiple flights, but they didn't.

That's a sensible thing to do, but:

1. Nobody forced anybody to do anything.
2. IDB only applies to being denied a seat and most certainly does not apply to class of service.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:15 pm

Some Additional Information

Some questions have come up in replies and I am going to try to clarify.

The original flight was AA 3876 on June 8th.
In previous cases where AA canceled a flight out of Atlanta on us we were offered transportation on Delta for no additional cost. Considering we had a TATL flight to connect to and were in First Class is it reasonable to expect the agent at the counter in ATL to offer other transportation options (BA direct, DL to ORD, UA to ORD)?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vickh
yes it was 2 class flight on CX. Should've ticketed and paid for a business class awd and called CX.

lesson learned...
Personally, the J for the HKG to NRT route would be worth it to fly NRT --> DFW in AA F. The difference between F and J is quite large on the 772.

I ended up booking F from SIN to NRT to DFW earlier this year. the first leg was 2 class on JAL, but the longer flight was way more comfortable. ^
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:24 pm

How is AA responsible for what is served on CX? (The cabin class on a specific flight is easy to determine, so perhaps due diligence was not carried out here? Many airlines offer two class cabins - even on transpacific flights, e.g. JL, QF.)

I think $175 is quite sufficient - given Cathay Pacific was the airline that flubbed the meals. The cabin class thing was one that should have been checked when booking, unless this was due to a last minute aircraft substitution. Then it's still Cathay... they might have granted greater compensation if they had been approached at the time of travel.

As this is actually not about VGML / vegetarian meals, but about COMPENSATION, it will be merged into the existing thread; please follow the Compensation topic there. /Moderator

Originally Posted by vickh
heard back from AAdvantage CS. Offered a $175 voucher each . I appreciate the
response. However I feel that a voucher is not
appropriate given the situation.

I paid 45000 extra miles each for this routing on Cathay Pacific.

My mom is diabetic and it's very important for her to have timely meals. This is exactly why I spend the extra miles above, for comfort and flexibility. In the end we got neither from AA.

So I am once again requesting a partial refund of the extra miles. That request was forwarded to AA CS by AAdvantage CS???
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
Date 7/7/13
AAdvantage Status None
Fare class P (Domestic First)
What happened Oversold
Compensation $500 and a confirmed first seat on a flight 1 hour later
Comments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.