Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's an organized compensation thread that may offer some guidance.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: QF WP. LTG
Just learned our LHRORD cancelled AA 91/31July...J/class on arrival LHR from FCO.

AA has offered overnight hotel and rebooked on UA...please advise if EU 261 is applicable. We have also lost a prepaid night in Chicago.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by guoguo914
Date: July 19 2013
AAdvantage Status: None
Fare class: T (Economy Award)
What happened: Booked two tickets using my miles for my parents MSP-ORD-PVG, ORD-PVG leg cancelled after multiple delays due to mechanical problems. Nothing on the same day or the second day is available. They are now rebooked on the flight on July 21. They have to spend two days in Chicago themselves!! I have to buy myself a round trip ticket MSP-ORD to accompany them since they speak little English.

What should I ask in comp? in miles/voucher?
was offered $250 in evoucher.. which I don't accept at all for a 48 hour delay due to mechanical caused cancellation..

So the response was sent by [email protected], where should I send reply to?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
was offered $250 in evoucher.. which I don't accept at all for a 48 hour delay due to mechanical caused cancellation..

So the response was sent by [email protected], where should I send reply to?
The only thing they owed your parents was a hotel stay and meal allowance until they could accommodate them on the next flight. I hope AA tried to reroute them on another carrier but that might have been impossible if about 200 passengers needed rerouting.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
The only thing they owed your parents was a hotel stay and meal allowance until they could accommodate them on the next flight. I hope AA tried to reroute them on another carrier but that might have been impossible if about 200 passengers needed rerouting.
And they sent them to a small hotel 30 minutes cab drive from airport and only gave $21 per person per day in meal voucher.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That sounds about right for U.S. carrier-norm for non-status coach passengers, frankly. If you spend $100K on tickets annually and are traveling yourself, best available hotel at airport may be a realistic expectation.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:34 pm

I think the $21 a day for meals is probably based on the fact that if the passenger was at home they would be incurring expenses for food anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:01 pm

I think the $21 a day for meals is probably based on the fact that if the passenger was at home they would be incurring expenses for food anyway.
ORD is just a connecting city. A meal at the hotel easily costs $30.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:45 am

ORD is just a connecting city. A meal at the hotel easily costs $30.
Just as a representative sample, I looked at the dinner menu at the Marriott O'Hare and there are plenty of selections in the $15 range.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
$15 range for what? a basic dinner consist of a starter (salad, soup or appetizer), then and entree (the main dish) and a drink... You can get all that at the Marriott for $15???

Just as a representative sample, I looked at the dinner menu at the Marriott O'Hare and there are plenty of selections in the $15 range.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:20 pm

You can certainly get adequate nutrition for less than $20. AA is not paying for a night out on the town.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
$20 at any full service hotel does not go far... unless you are staying at a Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Place... etc. Perhaps a wrap and some chips, nachos.

But no... at any full service hotel... a decent dinner at $20 is a joke.

You can certainly get adequate nutrition for less than $20. AA is not paying for a night out on the town.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Date: August 5, 2013
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: Z
What happened: JFK-LAX-SAN itinerary in F. JFK-LAX on the 762 delayed at the gate for mechanical reasons. It was eventually determined that it couldn't fly due to engine fuel leakage. Gate change from gate 14 to 42, followed by another delay of two hours or so. Gate was too far from the JFK FL to go back to it, but the AC staff by new gate were very accommodating, including handing out drink chits. New 762 flew out roughly three to four hours after original schedule. My connecting LAX-SAN flight was significantly delayed as well (original departure time of 2210, wheels up at 2356), but I just missed it when we got to the gate at LAX a few minutes after midnight.
Compensation: Rebooked on next morning LAX-SAN flight in F (Z class), hotel accommodations at LAX airport Marriott, $7 breakfast coupon (unused), $12 lunch coupon (unused), allowed to use LAX FL next morning, proactive e-mail offer of 5,000 AAdvantage miles from AA by the time I got to my hotel in LA. (Follow-up edit: given an additional 5,000 miles after brief e-mail to customer service in which I notably did not request any additional compensation)

Last edited by metallo; Aug 7, 2013 at 4:31 pm Reason: Added result of follow-up e-mail
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Date: June 2013
AAdvantage status: none (BA Gold)
Fare class: Business/I
What happened:
Inbound AA92 delayed due to mechanical causing outbound AA93 DUB-ORD to be delayed 90 minutes. Missed connecting flight originally scheduled for 1:35pm. Rebooked on the 8pm flight in coach (was ticketed in J/F on original itinerary). Went to AAdmirals Club on G concourse to be rebooked on an earlier connection. Was offered a connection on United instead, but again in coach. F was summarily refused even though it was available on the flight (I checked the United website while sitting with the AAgent which would still sell me 1 F seat on the flight). Rebooked and bags (theoretically) transferred to UA. UA flight then delayed due to weather. Scheduled arrival at destination: 3:30pm. Actual arrival 8:45pm. Baggage arrival 11:40pm the next evening...
Compensation: $200 travel voucher
Comments: Not impressed. AA's attitude throughout the disruption was one of complete disinterest. UA on the other hand - color me surprised/impressed! Sure we were delayed because of weather, but the GA was awesome at providing updates, and once on board the crew apologized for the delay and did everything they could to get us in the air as soon as possible. Understand it's a sample size of one, but the experience left me with a pretty good feeling about UA.
AA customer relations took 2 weeks to respond to my email, then a further 3 weeks to send the voucher. And if they really want "the chance to restore your confidence in us..." then it's gonna take more than a $200 travel voucher.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:30 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by BA1321
Date: June 2013
AAdvantage status: none (BA Gold)
Fare class: Business/I
What happened:
Inbound AA92 delayed due to mechanical causing outbound AA93 DUB-ORD to be delayed 90 minutes. Missed connecting flight originally scheduled for 1:35pm. Rebooked on the 8pm flight in coach (was ticketed in J/F on original itinerary). Went to AAdmirals Club on G concourse to be rebooked on an earlier connection. Was offered a connection on United instead, but again in coach. F was summarily refused even though it was available on the flight (I checked the United website while sitting with the AAgent which would still sell me 1 F seat on the flight). Rebooked and bags (theoretically) transferred to UA. UA flight then delayed due to weather. Scheduled arrival at destination: 3:30pm. Actual arrival 8:45pm. Baggage arrival 11:40pm the next evening...
Compensation: $200 travel voucher
Comments: Not impressed. AA's attitude throughout the disruption was one of complete disinterest. UA on the other hand - color me surprised/impressed! Sure we were delayed because of weather, but the GA was awesome at providing updates, and once on board the crew apologized for the delay and did everything they could to get us in the air as soon as possible. Understand it's a sample size of one, but the experience left me with a pretty good feeling about UA.
AA customer relations took 2 weeks to respond to my email, then a further 3 weeks to send the voucher. And if they really want "the chance to restore your confidence in us..." then it's gonna take more than a $200 travel voucher.
Your UA experience is atypical from what many have reported on the UA forum. Further, as you appear to be a BA customer (???), I'm shocked at how you were somehow expecting a better response. BA is notorious for their anaemic response to any customer service queries.

Exhibit Q - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-24-hours.html

Now that is a typical BA experience. Just saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.