Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Still awaiting response for EU261 as listed above
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:42 pm

I need some advice on this one. This is for the SO, who has no status:

Itinerary: STL-ORD-BOS on 10/14:

Plane on STL-ORD boarded, had a ~1 hour delay due to weight balance issues, then went MX. When she got off, she called AA while waiting in line to talk to the GA, and the phone agent managed to get her booked on the same routing STL-ORD-BOS departing 6am the next day.

From what I can tell, she asked most of the right questions: route via different hub, accommodation on another carrier, route to NYC or PVD, etc. She told me it seemed like the agent did her best to look for options, but it was a no go, and the 6am departure was the best she could do. GA had no better options.

The original scheduled arrival was 8:40pm. Now the scheduled arrival is 11:45am the next day.

Thoughts? What compensation do you think I should ask for in an email to Customer Relations?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:19 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
AA 2451 on 10/16 ORD-LAX, originally 7:40pm departure, over the course of 11+ delays departed at around 11pm and arrived LAX 1:15am. Within 20 minutes had an email with an apology for 5,000 miles. I'm Plat but that flight should post as EXP so should I get more as EXP?

And while I'd be fine with that normally, it's the way these delays panned out that upset myself and other EXPs onboard. We boarded a first aircraft 1 hour late only to find out that the GPS should have been updated 8 days prior and handn't been. Got a text from AA saying there was an equipment/gate change but pilot refused to acknowledge and wanted mechanic to keep trying. That didn't work and we deboarded 45 minutes after AA made the equipment change. Absolute waste of time. Crew didn't want to abandon ship even as baggage handlers were pulling out checked luggage in full view of starboard window pax. This was a known issue for 8 days!

Plus the way AA does these dumb 20-minute incremental delays is disrespectful to passengers who have no choice but to stay in the gatehouse. I understand delays, but instead of 3 straight 20-minute delays while the inbound plane wasn't even at the gate, at least have the decency to delay it an hour and give people a chance to get food or visit the AC without feeling obligated to stay near the gate in case boarding commences soon.

Last edited by amolkold; Oct 17, 2013 at 3:32 am
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amolkold
AA 2451 on 10/16 ORD-LAX, originally 7:40pm departure, over the course of 11+ delays departed at around 11pm and arrived LAX 1:15am. Within 20 minutes had an email with an apology for 5,000 miles. I'm Plat but that flight should post as EXP so should I get more as EXP?

And while I'd be fine with that normally, it's the way these delays panned out that upset myself and other EXPs onboard. We boarded a first aircraft 1 hour late only to find out that the GPS should have been updated 8 days prior and handn't been. Got a text from AA saying there was an equipment/gate change but pilot refused to acknowledge and wanted mechanic to keep trying. That didn't work and we deboarded 45 minutes after AA made the equipment change. Absolute waste of time. Crew didn't want to abandon ship even as baggage handlers were pulling out checked luggage in full view of starboard window pax. This was a known issue for 8 days!

Plus the way AA does these dumb 20-minute incremental delays is disrespectful to passengers who have no choice but to stay in the gatehouse. I understand delays, but instead of 3 straight 20-minute delays while the inbound plane wasn't even at the gate, at least have the decency to delay it an hour and give people a chance to get food or visit the AC without feeling obligated to stay near the gate in case boarding commences soon.
I can understand why you're not happy, I wouldn't be either. Go ahead and send AA an email detailing all of this and let us know if you get anything more.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I can understand why you're not happy, I wouldn't be either. Go ahead and send AA an email detailing all of this and let us know if you get anything more.
One of my questions is do EXPs get higher compensation than other elites? Technically I was EXP on that flight but my status hadn't changed yet so the system thinks I'm Plat. United gives better compensation to 1K > PP > PG > PS > GM.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
One of my questions is do EXPs get higher compensation than other elites? Technically I was EXP on that flight but my status hadn't changed yet so the system thinks I'm Plat. United gives better compensation to 1K > PP > PG > PS > GM.
My non-scientific inquiries indicate yes. I frequently get way more for way less than non-EXP coworkers/friends.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:34 pm

Date and Flight info: AA 4 (LAX-JFK) 10/15/13
AAdvantage status: PLT
Fare class: Not sure, something coach. Probably N (not upgraded)
What happened: Headrest wings were completely floppy.
Compensation: 7500 miles
Comments: I explicitly said it wasn't a big deal and was for maintenance only. Of course, in the back of my head I knew they might throw some miles my way so I definitely didn't say "don't compensate". This could have easily gone into the least substantial things to complaint about thread. I'm continually surprised by how much compensation they give for the smallest of seat malfunctions for some and yet not for others, or for significant delays. 7500 for this minor issue versus 5000 for the multi-hour delay amolkold mentioned? I think the delay was much worse.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by djibouti
Date and Flight info: AA 4 (LAX-JFK) 10/15/13
AAdvantage status: PLT
Fare class: Not sure, something coach. Probably N (not upgraded)
What happened: Headrest wings were completely floppy.
Compensation: 7500 miles
Comments: I explicitly said it wasn't a big deal and was for maintenance only. Of course, in the back of my head I knew they might throw some miles my way so I definitely didn't say "don't compensate". This could have easily gone into the least substantial things to complaint about thread. I'm continually surprised by how much compensation they give for the smallest of seat malfunctions for some and yet not for others, or for significant delays. 7500 for this minor issue versus 5000 for the multi-hour delay amolkold mentioned? I think the delay was much worse.
Reporting these things helps AA in the future, so maybe they are more generous with compensation.

Just a theory, my experiences mirror yours.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: Various
The only benefit of this nature that you get for being EXP and mileage compensation increase vs others ? Entitlement.

No extra miles for you or other EXP, sorry.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Robt760
The only benefit of this nature that you get for being EXP and mileage compensation increase vs others ? Entitlement.
Considering the airline that called its own elites "over entitled" has a system to compensate them more during IRROPS, I think it was a fair question.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL GM, Starwood PLT, Marriott Silver
Offer from customer relations for airport issues

This past Tuesday I booked a flight from LGA-DTW to travel the same day. I purchased Choice Plus ticket for $372 because I knew I would want to do same day flight change.
I was able to successfully confirm the same day flight change, checked in online and was at the airport with sufficient time to get through security with Pre-Check. For whatever reason at C gates at LGA on Tuesday, TSA was having difficulty with some travelers, many of whom did not appear to actually be pre-check (many, many liquids, scissors, etc.). I managed to get to my gate 15 minutes before departure, and the GA told me that no more passengers were allowed on the plane. However, both the gate and plane door were not yet closed and the manifest was not printed. I told the GA that it was imperative that I make this flight, and as he printed the manifest, he gave me a smirk and seemingly took pleasure in denying me boarding.
I promptly called AA, and told them what happened, as I was running to the DL terminal. A kind CSR advised me to call customer relations when I had time, and that she had notated my issue in the reservation.
Meanwhile, the only available seat to DTW on DL was $740, which I purchased because I had no choice.
Today, I finally had the time and I called CR. After waiting on hold for nearly 45 minutes, I spoke to a rep who told me that she would give me a voucher for the value of my flight, and after telling her that my ticket had no flight change fee, she offered an additional $75 voucher.
Although the vouchers will be somewhat useful, I was incredibly inconvenienced and ended up paying basically double for the ticket on DL. And since there will be no change fee, this is kind of an insult.
I have already received the 2 vouchers via email, but I am wondering if I have any additional recourse. I am buying, more or less, 2-4 last minute tickets a week, and will be doing so until the end of the year due to some work travel that cannot be scheduled in advance.
Any advice greatly welcome.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sketchbellina
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(Search term {"compensation"}) as we don't need a new thread each time someone has an issue with the airline.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:57 am

Mod can you please delete?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:58 am

Offer from Customer Relations for Airport Issue

(Apparently I posted this in the wrong place before...)
This past Tuesday I booked a flight from LGA-DTW to travel the same day. I purchased Choice Plus ticket for $372 because I knew I would want to do same day flight change.
I was able to successfully confirm the same day flight change, checked in online and was at the airport with sufficient time to get through security with Pre-Check. For whatever reason at C gates at LGA on Tuesday, TSA was having difficulty with some travelers, many of whom did not appear to actually be pre-check (many, many liquids, scissors, etc.). I managed to get to my gate 15 minutes before departure, and the GA told me that no more passengers were allowed on the plane. However, both the gate and plane door were not yet closed and the manifest was not printed. I told the GA that it was imperative that I make this flight, and as he printed the manifest, he gave me a smirk and seemingly took pleasure in denying me boarding.
I promptly called AA, and told them what happened, as I was running to the DL terminal. A kind CSR advised me to call customer relations when I had time, and that she had notated my issue in the reservation.
Meanwhile, the only available seat to DTW on DL was $740, which I purchased because I had no choice.
Today, I finally had the time and I called CR. After waiting on hold for nearly 45 minutes, I spoke to a rep who told me that she would give me a voucher for the value of my flight, and after telling her that my ticket had no flight change fee, she offered an additional $75 voucher.
Although the vouchers will be somewhat useful, I was incredibly inconvenienced and ended up paying basically double for the ticket on DL. And since there will be no change fee, this is kind of an insult.
I have already received the 2 vouchers via email, but I am wondering if I have any additional recourse. I am buying, more or less, 2-4 last minute tickets a week, and will be doing so until the end of the year due to some work travel that cannot be scheduled in advance.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Just to be clear, you purchased an earlier/different flight just so you could change to a later/earlier, presumably more expensive flight for free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.