Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
That's good to know. In December, we purchased a ticket from LBB-DFW on AA, then used Amex miles to buy a ticket from DFW-SYD on QF. The LBB-DFW flight was cancelled and I was told, you can run over to the Southwest counter and buy a full fare ticket and then figure out how your going to get from LUV-DFW.

That's what we did but there was no offer to re-accomodate the flight. Also had a connection on AA FF miles from SYD-BNE. So would have missed the international leg and a domestic Australia leg.
Your situation is a bit different than most and is different than the AA / OW commitment.

AA would have rebooked you even though you misconnected on separate tickets. But, what it can't do is reboook you on WN because WN refuses to participate in the interline agreements which the real carriers all have. May work as a disadvantage, but WN doesn't care because it has no desire to be able to rebook its distressed pax OA.

The WN situation is simply that hopefully its cheap enough that the refund from AA for the cancelled segment exceeds or is close to the cost of the WN ticket.

Annoying, but that's WN.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:52 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
That's good to know. In December, we purchased a ticket from LBB-DFW on AA, then used Amex miles to buy a ticket from DFW-SYD on QF. The LBB-DFW flight was cancelled and I was told, you can run over to the Southwest counter and buy a full fare ticket and then figure out how your going to get from LUV-DFW.

That's what we did but there was no offer to re-accomodate the flight. Also had a connection on AA FF miles from SYD-BNE. So would have missed the international leg and a domestic Australia leg.
Good thing you made your flights. Having read the last couple of pages - I would repeat that there's a lot to be said for purchasing traveller's insurance (esp. on TATL/TPAC itineraries). Hopefully, you'll never have to use it, but it is there for you if you do, and a lot cheaper than full-Y bucket.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:45 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
"the pilots were kind of slow" weather or operational delay ?

YYZ-DFW the other day .. it was snowing lightly. departure 6.40pm , at 6.30 the doors were closed and we were advised to turn off electronics.

the plane sat there for at least 20 minutes without moving, (I saw the YYZ-LAX also set for 6.40pm departing the gate OK) then we started moving and stopped because a plane was on our way. another 10 mins there.

we were taxied by the carts, and plane started moving slowly, I can see all other planes passing us and going for de-icing. we were engines on, but not moving, and when we move, another 5 planes went by for deicing while we were waiting in line to cross one of the runaways.

went for deicing and assigned queue behind a KLM747, another 30 mins wait while all other deicing stations were empty.

then had to depart from the other part of the terminal .. where also other planes specially air canada planes were given priority and we had to wait.

arrived at DFW 1 hour and 30 mins late and misconnect. admirals closed. we were told to go to the gate to get hotel vouchers.

one of the crew members of the flight came by the gate and I asked.. what happened? he said "yes.. the pilots were kind of slow..."

the agent was going through the process of issuing my hotel voucher while he saw on the screen the flight was documented as "weather" and he cannot give me anything, but instead I have to pay the hotel and try to claim refund through customer relations.

I've checked the status of YYZ-LAX who was also delayed but not 1hr and 30mins but 1hr only. air canada planes left without or minimum delay.

is there anything I should do here? or just get over it and assume the loses?

were the pilots slow for whatever reason?
is YYZ giving canadian planes priority over US planes?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hmm. The clues here are "snow", "deicing", "deicing queue", etc. And what ground control or ATC does during the weather. Nasty, and sorry for the inconvenience - but: I suspect the "force majeure" clause would apply.

• [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Did you request a distressed traveler chit from the agent, or distressed traveler rate from the hotel?

Moving to the compo thread... no, stopping for deicing first.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:17 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
SJU-MIA in Business Class. The entire cabin's video, audio, seat movement and reading lights were all non-functional. (No power in FC cabin.) FAs said they couldn't do anything about it. After more than an hour, all the gear suddenly started working. I thanked for FAs for fixing the problem; they replied that they did not do anything and the stuff just started working all by itself. For a 2:50 flight we were seated bolt upright with no IFE and not even a reading light, for just over half of the total flight time.

EXP Spouse and I both wrote to AA. Within minutes, we received a nice reply (the same canned reply twice) along with 10K points each.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:49 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
besides the compensation thing.. I was wondering what really happened here?

pilots were working slow on purpose? I don't think so I guess those times are over.

YYZ gives priority to canadian planes?

Originally Posted by JDiver
Hmm. The clues here are "snow", "deicing", "deicing queue", etc. And what ground control or ATC does during the weather. Nasty, and sorry for the inconvenience - but: I suspect the "force majeure" clause would apply.

Did you request a distressed traveler chit from the agent, or distressed traveler rate from the hotel?

Moving to the compo thread... no, stopping for deicing first.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, AS MVPG, AR PLT,SPG GOLD
On fri 2-22 flight 699 which was delayed because of incoming crew that would have caused a misconnect LAX-DFW redeye I was put on flight 1617. We were stuck at the gate for 2 hours and supposedly the captain called 4xs for deicing we finally did. After sending an email I was givin 5k miles for the inconvienence.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:47 am
uxb

Date: 26 January 2013
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: Q/C
What happened: 2+ hr delay at JFK on AA0100. Busted audio jack.
Compensation: 10000 miles
Comments: The CSR made it clear that comp was awarded for the audio jack. Also, I didn't mentioned the small electrical fire I had on my return flight.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:27 pm
KBW

Programs: AA LT PLAT
PSP mechanical delay

2/21/2013 PSP>DFW AA# 1744 connecting DFW >LBB on AAeagle #3351.
LT Plat, traveling in Y.
A mechanical delay on AA # 689 DFW>PSP on 2/20 caused AA# 1744 on 2/21 to depart late due to flight crew rest issues. This delay caused me to miss DFW>LBB connection. There was no flight availability for the rest of the day DFW>LBB and I chose not to wait for stand by opportunities for the next 12 hours. Rented a car and drove 5 hours to LBB due to an early Dr's appointment the next morning.
Compensation:
After email to CS, I received a $200 travel voucher & refund of DFW>LBB ticket portion.
Seemed fair enough to me.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
AA FT experts, I was thinking to just use the Guide to compensation to describe the situation, but I think it's worth a small thread to discuss about the club lounges and IMO, more importantly, the attitude from one of the agents in question.

Jan 6th 2013
AA EXP
Full Fare J

1. JFK Flagship Lounge WiFi broken down. Had to hop back and forth the international and domestic lounge five to eight times on Jan 6, 2013
2. One Admirals Club agent interjected my conversation with another agent with a bit of personal attack:

Conversation:

Upon entering the domestic club...
Agent A: "Are you the one who came from First Class Flagship lounge? Please come in, we were notified by the agent there. WiFi is available at this lounge."
Me: "Thank you. I am wondering if the WiFi is not available at the International Terminal today?"
Agent A: "Yes, it has actually been unavailable for a couple of days."
Me: "I guess there must be a lot of passengers who complained about the issues?"
I wasn't talking to Agent B, but she interjected our conversation:
Agent B: "Not as much as you."

I then explained why I arrived at JFK early since I would like to get some work done. Without WiFi, it's just very difficult to have the work done. Agent A described the layout of the domestic lounge and later apologized for the inconvenience.

At that time I wasn't mad at all, but later I found myself a bit moody and couldn't explain why, until my colleagues and friends explained that was a very hostile way to treat the customer like that. What is your take on it?

I actually also had the flight delay to EZE, AA953 for two hours because the original flight had the heating issues with the windows and the air-conditioning, which took days to fix.

I was wondering if I should write the letter to AA CR to just describe the issues of JFK Flagship lounge and the agent's attitude and a separate issue of the flight delay instead of the combination of all three issues? It sounds like a lot of information to digest and CR might not read the entire letter.

Advice will be appreciated.

PS: Accidentally I also posted in the Guide to compensation 2013, my apologies for not keeping track of all the tabs in Firefox.
Curious if you remember the employees name.... perhaps Patti?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
How long to contact CR again

Emailed CR, and received auto response with reference number. How long should I wait before contacted CR again?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:18 am
uxb

Originally Posted by rkh29
Emailed CR, and received auto response with reference number. How long should I wait before contacted CR again?
IMRE, the wait time was a full week.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Ex, UA Prem G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just to follow up a claim from back august 2012. American Airlines exP line ,2 different agents, told me that even my flight was operated by BA, AA will need to take care of my compensation for the 8 hours delay (LHR to DFW). I submitted the claim to AA and I was told that AA can not help me because I was traveling with BA and not AA. It didnt matter if I paid the ticket to AA. I called back executive line and I was told that AA customer relations is wrong. I dont know what to think. I also have been trying to get in touch with customer relations from BA and their service is the worst. I have not gotten an answer at all. I am still waiting. What you guys recommend?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:53 am
uxb

Originally Posted by da_erazo
Just to follow up a claim from back august 2012. American Airlines exP line ,2 different agents, told me that even my flight was operated by BA, AA will need to take care of my compensation for the 8 hours delay (LHR to DFW). I submitted the claim to AA and I was told that AA can not help me because I was traveling with BA and not AA. It didnt matter if I paid the ticket to AA. I called back executive line and I was told that AA customer relations is wrong. I dont know what to think. I also have been trying to get in touch with customer relations from BA and their service is the worst. I have not gotten an answer at all. I am still waiting. What you guys recommend?
Did you file a claim w/ BA?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by da_erazo
If you are trying to claim under the EU261 legislation, then it is the operating carrier that is responsible and to whom the claim should be made.

If you have not written to BA, then write a letter clearly detailing the flight details and requesting the compensation.

There is not enough information provided to indicate whether there is compensation due though

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.