Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
It's a valid routing. I suggest you call AA and ask them to calculate the flown mileage. You might get lucky.

You could also substitute MEL for ADL and then make your own way between the cities.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Originally Posted by honu
It is indeed a valid routing, and if it turns out that you are just over the 35K mile flown limit and reservaations won't budge, you could try substituting PHL with BWI, if it's close enough for your purposes. That should keep you well under 35K flown (34854, according to gc.kls2.com)
That is one great option. Thank you!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:06 pm

Why is it so hard to get to New Zealand?

I'm trying to get to New Zealand from Southern California in August (Yes, I know it's their winter). We're a family of 5 and would like to go business class. It's a long way!!! I probably won't have enough miles to book the tickets until early March.

My thought process:
- Air New Zealand from LAX: Coach $1200pp, Premium Eco $3600pp
- No way to get more than two business class seats, if that, on direct from North America to Australia Qantas flights
- If for some reason I could get business class, even on different flights, it would be 125K RT
- Using an One World explorer award at 130K or 150K (would like to keep under 20K), availability would be much better and we could stop in Tokyo and Honolulu

Here's what I'm considering (both under 20K and I'd have to buy some additional flights):
SAN/LAX-NRT (AA, JL), NRT-SYD (JL, QF), SYD-HNL (QF), HNL-LAX (AA)
YVR-HKG (CX), HKG-AKL (CX), SYD-HNL (QF), HNL-LAX (AA)

Am I going in the right direction? I think I can hold individual partner flights and then convert to explorer award? The One World Explorer award seems like a much better use of miles, although more flying, more destinations than North America to South Pacific.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdfamily
Here's what I'm considering (both under 20K and I'd have to buy some additional flights):
SAN/LAX-NRT (AA, JL), NRT-SYD (JL, QF), SYD-HNL (QF), HNL-LAX (AA)
YVR-HKG (CX), HKG-AKL (CX), SYD-HNL (QF), HNL-LAX (AA)
You can't do the second option because you would have 2 open jaws.

Concerning the first option, if you book AA for the first flight, then you must book JL for NRT->SYD.

If you're willing to book a "oneworld and other airline" award instead of an Explorer award, have you considered LAX -> PPT (TN) -> AKL (TN)? Or LAX -> NAN (FJ) -> AKL (FJ)? Or LAX -> HNL (HA or AA) -> AKL (HA)?

Last edited by Austinrunner; Dec 11, 2012 at 5:03 pm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:20 pm

Thanks for the help! Yes, I see option 2 does not work. oops!

I was intrigued by the transit through Asia on the explorer award and trying to make it work. But, more difficult than I thought to stay under 20K.

Yes. I did consider the other options for a partner award. They do get me into New Zealand without having to go through Australia. Will look again....
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Hey guys, I need some help.
I am planning a trip in Nov - Dec 2013 (20K - 25K miles)
SFO-HKG-DPS-HKG-CMB-JED-AMM-SFO 24766 Miles

SFO - HKG (Stop Over)
HKG - DPS (Stop Over)
DPS - HKG (Connection)
HKG - CMB (Stop Over)
CMB - AMM (Connection)
AMM - JED (Stop Over)
JED - HKG (Connection)
HKG - SFO

Ok the questions are:

1. There arent any direct flights from DPS to CMB, so I need to route back through HKG. Do I need to calculate and add the distance to my total (DPS-HKG) or the agent will see that there arent any direct flights and will not add the extra distance in the calculation?

2. When I search for award availability (on ba site), from CMB to JED, I do not see anything, but if i break it and search CMB - AMM - JED, i do see award availability. But doing so increases my total distance over 25,000 miles as I have to go through AMM first and then JED. If I go to JED directly, my total distance remains under 25,000. Any solution?

3. JED - SFO routes back again through HKG ( avoiding BA) , do I need to add the distance again to my total for JED - HKG? If i do, my total miles crosses over 28,000.

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80

SFO - HKG (Stop Over)
HKG - DPS (Stop Over)
DPS - HKG (Connection)
HKG - CMB (Stop Over)
CMB - AMM (Connection)
AMM - JED (Stop Over)
JED - HKG (Connection)
HKG - SFO

Ok the questions are:

1. There arent any direct flights from DPS to CMB, so I need to route back through HKG. Do I need to calculate and add the distance to my total (DPS-HKG) or the agent will see that there arent any direct flights and will not add the extra distance in the calculation?

2. When I search for award availability (on ba site), from CMB to JED, I do not see anything, but if i break it and search CMB - AMM - JED, i do see award availability. But doing so increases my total distance over 25,000 miles as I have to go through AMM first and then JED. If I go to JED directly, my total distance remains under 25,000. Any solution?

3. JED - SFO routes back again through HKG ( avoiding BA) , do I need to add the distance again to my total for JED - HKG? If i do, my total miles crosses over 28,000.

Any suggestions?
It sounds like the answer for all three of your questions would be: the mileage calculation is based on actual flying distance on each direct flights. So the fact that there is no direct flight between two airports is not relevant - you will be charged the sum of all the segments.

There is no real solutions to the problem of not having direct flights. You can either try to find another oneworld partner that serves the route with no or less stops, or you can (if possible), create an open jaw in your trip, by dropping one of the segments to bring your explorer award down to the lower redemption level.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond

SFO - HKG (Stop Over)
HKG - DPS (Stop Over)
DPS - HKG (Connection)
HKG - CMB (Stop Over)
CMB - AMM (Connection)
AMM - JED (Stop Over)
JED - HKG (Connection)
HKG - SFO

Ok the questions are:

Any suggestions?
I'm not an expert on the routing you want, so I can't speak as to those aspects of your questions, but as far as adding up miles for connections or certain routes, et cetera, yes, you have to add every mile. You can't substitute the miles of a phantom direct flight for the connection flights you actually plan to take. You add up each leg, wherever and whatever that is, and whatever that total comes to, that's the amount you need an award for.

Also, try searching for award flights on the Qantas website -- you'll see more availability there than you will on the BA site.

Last edited by 2millionquest; Dec 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm Reason: Added additional info
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Perfect.. Thanks for the quick replies
Now on to adding/slashing segments
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:16 pm
Suspended

SFO - HKG (Stop Over)
HKG - DPS (Stop Over)
DPS - HKG (Connection)
HKG - CMB (Stop Over)
CMB - AMM (Connection)
AMM - JED (Stop Over)
JED - HKG (Connection)
HKG - SFO

(1) Ask AA to book you on the QF codeshare (operated by JQ) from DPS to SIN. So, your routing would be DPS -> SIN (QF operated by JQ) -> CMB (CX). Or instead DPS -> KUL (MH) -> CMB (MH).

(3) What's wrong with JED -> AMM (RJ) -> ORD (RJ) -> SFO (AA)? That would be only 8,800 flown miles.

SFO -> HKG (CX) -> DPS (CX) -> SIN (QF on JQ-operated flight) -> CMB (CX) -> AMM (RJ) -> JED (RJ) -> AMM (RJ) -> ORD (RJ) -> SFO (AA) would total 24,619 flown miles http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SFO-HKG...ED-AMM-ORD-SFO

SFO -> HKG (CX) -> DPS (CX) -> KUL (MH) -> CMB (MH) -> AMM (RJ) -> JED (RJ) -> AMM (RJ) -> ORD (RJ) -> SFO (AA) would total 24,625 flown miles http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SFO-HKG...ED-AMM-ORD-SFO

Last edited by Austinrunner; Dec 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:43 pm

(1) Ask AA to book you on the QF codeshare (operated by JQ) from DPS to SIN. So, your routing would be DPS -> SIN (QF operated by JQ) -> CMB (CX). Or instead DPS -> KUL (MH) -> CMB (MH).

(3) What's wrong with JED -> AMM (RJ) -> ORD (RJ) -> SFO (AA)? That would be only 8,800 flown miles.

SFO -> HKG (CX) -> DPS (CX) -> SIN (QF on JQ-operated flight) -> CMB (CX) -> AMM (RJ) -> JED (RJ) -> AMM (RJ) -> ORD (RJ) -> SFO (AA) would total 24,619 flown miles http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SFO-HKG...ED-AMM-ORD-SFO
Thanks for the help... Much better
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Also refer to my edited post for another option.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:07 pm

Also refer to my edited post for another option.
Thanks.. Couple of other questions.

1. Shall I search for the JQ awards on the Qantas site?

2. Also I am looking to travel in Nov 2013 - Dec 2013 (Nov 22 - Dec 20 ) .. Ofcourse some of the award dates arent visible yet. So shall I call AA and start putting flights on hold? or shall i wait till Dec 25th so all the flights are available?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:38 pm
Suspended

You can do only a 5 day hold. You should call AA to inquire about QF availability on JQ-operated flights. You will need QF inventory, not JQ.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:55 am

20K Explorer AAward in J

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by zznoname; Dec 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by zznoname
The JAL, ORD-NRT and NRT-MNL flights will not be as comfortable as ORD-HKG on CX...
Just curious why you think so. The flight is long enough for good sleep and JL service is fine. Of course, so is CX, but did you have bad experience with JL anytime?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.