Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ghostboy
Try LAX-BNE; much better business class availability.
For example, there are 4 business class seats available on 12/3 & 12/8 - QF16 LAX-BNE.

Good luck!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ghostboy
Try LAX-BNE; much better business class availability.
Not always "much better".

Availability as of yesterday, per the QF website:

LAX -> BNE in J (>=2 seats)
August 19, 29
October 7
November 21, 28
December 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 16, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

LAX -> BNE in J (=1 seat)
May 20
July 23, 25
August 22
September 2, 9, 10
November 14, 23, 26
December 2, 7, 10, 14, 15, 19

LAX -> SYD in J (>=2 seats)
March 5
October 7
November 5, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27
December 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31

LAX -> SYD in J (=1 seat)
July 23
September 2, 10
October 1
November 21, 23, 28
December 2, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 19
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Well, it would have been nice had you included that fact in your first post....
I'll be honest though -- I didn't expect anyone to go through that level of detail so THANK YOU.

The other thing is if availability just flat isn't available for my routing you can be damn sure I'll pay the additional cost in the Maldives and do your routing, so thanks again. (Not to mention Malaysia coming into play lets me get to MLE on OneWorld which might throw a wrench into all of this if they become active in time for me to book)

And the VIE routing to get to NCE is priceless. Seriously, I can't thank you enough.

EDIT: And the more I think about it, the more I think saving the time flying that many miles might be better to just pony up the extra cost to do it your way.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:39 pm

Am I permitted to make a change from a direct flight (BOM-BKK-HKG is CX750) to a non-stop (BOM-HKG is CX684)?

Thanks!

(Apologies if this question is covered elsewhere in the thread. I tried searching and read a few pages in and didn't see it.)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by sprinkles
Am I permitted to make a change from a direct flight (BOM-BKK-HKG is CX750) to a non-stop (BOM-HKG is CX684)?

Thanks!

(Apologies if this question is covered elsewhere in the thread. I tried searching and read a few pages in and didn't see it.)
That's a good question!

My guess is that yes, you can change from a direct flight with stop to a non-stop, considering how the AA explorer award treats direct flight with stops as a single segment and also only counts the distance between the origin and destinations on such a direct flight.

Give it a try and please report back your result.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:33 pm
Suspended

The correct answer is "no."
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by sprinkles

Thanks!

The correct answer is "no."
Interesting
Presumably the initial reservation will simply show BOM-BKK on CX750 (with no mention of the stop at BKK)
And the question is could the flight be changed to CX684

Section 9 in the first post of this thread states that flight number changes are allowed -
SECTION 9: TICKET VALIDITY AND CHANGES
(1) ...
(2) Once the ticket is issued, a change to the date, time, or number of a flight is free. These types of changes may be made even after travel has begun...
So perhaps someone should update Section 9 to clarify that changes such as that raised by sprinkles are NOT allowed
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:43 pm

Qatar Airlines

When will you be able to use Qatar Airlines on a segment for a AA Explorer award?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
The Explorer AAward allows Oneworld airlines only (and their affiliates)
So the answer is - when QR is a Oneworld member

I don't know what 'wiggle room' there might be around the time QR joins - for instance if its join date is announced to be 1 December, would it possible to book an award in November that includes flights on QR on or after 1 December. My guess is no

Consider Malaysian (MH). It joins on 1 February. AFAIK it cannot yet be included in an Explorer award
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth
The Explorer AAward allows Oneworld airlines only (and their affiliates)
So the answer is - when QR is a Oneworld member

I don't know what 'wiggle room' there might be around the time QR joins - for instance if its join date is announced to be 1 December, would it possible to book an award in November that includes flights on QR on or after 1 December. My guess is no

Consider Malaysian (MH). It joins on 1 February. AFAIK it cannot yet be included in an Explorer award
Yeah, I really want to be able to book an explorer award the first week of february but MH isn't bookable. in calling AA, the reps act as if it isn't even a sure thing come february 1- that there may be an unknown period of time that they can't book MH awards even after it's officially oneworld.

Anyone have any advise, experience with how it goes when a new carrier becomes 'official'? Really need it for asian trips with the explorer awards because none of my itineraries works without MH because nearly all intra asia oneworld is on cathay and all those flights route thru HKG. Since i have to go thru HKG on the way from the US and back- it only leaves 1 more connection thru HKG, when i need like 5 with BKK, PNH, MNL, SIN, Bali, Cebu, JKT...! Sure, i could use a LCC to fill gaps- but not really. my trip is 6 months and i have a lot of baggage. transporting said baggage around on LCC would instantly make them prohibitively expensive- enough so to negate all the benefits of the explorer savings.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Can you arrive/depart via NRT? I know CX is considered stronger as a product than JL or AA though, but I'd consider that if possible. There is also an RJ flight KUL-BKK I believe, may be able to get that one in with CX's BKK extra operations to put some connections in BKK and lessen what you need in HKG.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Can you arrive/depart via NRT? I know CX is considered stronger as a product than JL or AA though, but I'd consider that if possible. There is also an RJ flight KUL-BKK I believe, may be able to get that one in with CX's BKK extra operations to put some connections in BKK and lessen what you need in HKG.
Thanks for the 5th freedom rec- didn't think of that. Though, then it's getting to KUL. REALLY hoping MH is bookable for awards right on Feb 1. The Philippines really makes it difficult, then again, so does everything when it's really only CX intra-asia til MH kicks in.

Yeah, looking at JL for SFO-NRT-MNL but, reading the business class reviews, it doesn't sound too appealing as i'm tall and have circulation issues. if only i could generate more AA miles and be able to take CX 1st class on all my long hauls.

Like i said, if anyone has any experience with whether new OW members have delays in being bookable on awards (as has been kinda implied by AA reps), please chime in...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:19 pm
Suspended

QF (on JQ-operated flights) and KA are other options.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Thanks for the 5th freedom rec- didn't think of that. Though, then it's getting to KUL. REALLY hoping MH is bookable for awards right on Feb 1. The Philippines really makes it difficult, then again, so does everything when it's really only CX intra-asia til MH kicks in.

Yeah, looking at JL for SFO-NRT-MNL but, reading the business class reviews, it doesn't sound too appealing as i'm tall and have circulation issues. if only i could generate more AA miles and be able to take CX 1st class on all my long hauls.

Like i said, if anyone has any experience with whether new OW members have delays in being bookable on awards (as has been kinda implied by AA reps), please chime in...
I know it would likely add 2-3 hours to flight time (and some miles, don't know how close you to bumping up against the award length limit) but could you try connecting through NRT instead of HKG on one of the trips? Maybe do SIN-NRT then NRT-MNL, I believe JL has a 787 flight on the SIN-NRT route if so interested.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF (on JQ-operated flights) and KA are other options.
Does KA have operations other than to/from HKG? OP's problem doesn't seem to be too many CX flights (which would never be a problem ) but too many potential transits of HKG. Since OP is using two of the three alloted airport visits (stopover+2 transits as you certainly know but I'm restating for clarity for anyone else reading) for the TPAC in each direction on CX, that leaves only one more HKG visit allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.