Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by sellouts
Rather than fight with an agent I gauge within about 15 seconds if they know what I'm asking about. In this case I ask if they have experience booking explorer awards. If there's hesitation or an ask for an explanation I thank them for their time and call back to get another agent.
Any advice on the best time or number to call? I have no status with AA. I call 800-882-8880. In recent weeks, I've had to call for a number of things, and my hold time has never been less than 35 minutes.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I suppose it's a little confusing then, to have this in big bolded letters in post #1:

oneworld explorer awards using AAdvantage miles.

Also, when I called an AAgent to get some information, she didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned Explorer awards. She just called them oneworld awards. She also said I had to use AA PLUS 2 other airlines, and that changes to date and time are never allowed once ticketed, but I gather she was wrong about all that.
Agent was definitely wrong. Routing and carrier changes aren't allowed. Date and time changes are.

I called the EXP line to book my Explorer award, and the EXP agent wasn't sure at first. Apparently, nobody got the memo about the name change, as agent asked if was one of the Oneworld awards and I said yes and that they had changed the name. My particular agent said it had been months since booking one, but I got 14 segments and everything sent over to the rate desk within 40 minutes (from dialing phone number to finish time). Agent had a supervisor assisting (my routing was fairly complex), so if you get a frontline agent who is unsure, mention both the explorer and Oneworld terms, mention it is the distance based award, and see if they can consult with a supervisor who may know more.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:12 pm

Any advice on the best time or number to call? I have no status with AA. I call 800-882-8880. In recent weeks, I've had to call for a number of things, and my hold time has never been less than 35 minutes.
First thing in the morning is usually my best bet. At least try to catch the west coast while they're sleeping?

I've also had luck at the very end of the day with only 8-12 minute hold times.

It's pretty much random though...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:45 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by sprinkles
Am I permitted to make a change from a direct flight (BOM-BKK-HKG is CX750) to a non-stop (BOM-HKG is CX684)?

Thanks!

(Apologies if this question is covered elsewhere in the thread. I tried searching and read a few pages in and didn't see it.)
If you are not stopping in BKK and it has already been ticketed as BOM-HKG then YES you are.

However if you had at anytime booked a stop in BKK or had it ticketed for some unusual reason as a Stopover then NO you cannot.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Make sure that there are no major delays in (look at airport delay lists in this order) DFW/ORD/MIA/LAX/JFK. Anytime weather affects those airports, AA's desks can get backed up trying to rebook people. Particularly DFW.

I called at maybe 10PM eastern time for my booking, while I can call the EXP desk, it did go right through (usually does but not always). Avoid the bad weather days if possible and call either early in the morning or late at night. Probably avoid 4-7PM (Central time since AA's two largest hubs in terms of flights are DFW and ORD) if at all possible. Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturdays would be best for day of week.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Any advice on the best time or number to call? I have no status with AA.
As early in the morning as you can is good for two reasons. First, no long lines and your wait will be shorter. Second, reservations on hold expire at midnight, so you'll have a greater chance of finding an available seat before others snag it. I shoot for a time between 4AM and 6AM. Anyway, early as you can.

Last edited by aktchi; Jan 20, 2013 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi
As early in the morning as you can is good for two reasons. First, no long lines and your wait will be shorter. Second, reservations on hold expire at midnight, so you'll have a greater chance of finding an available seat before others snag it. I shoot for a time between 4AM and 6AM. Anyway, early as you can.
Okay, thanks all for the tips. Early AM while west coast sleeps sounds like a good bet.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:12 am

Transit via a co-terminal of origin?

I'm not sure if I break any rules or not with the following itinerary.
BWI-xJFK-oHEL-xJFK-oDCA-xMIA-oEZE-xMIA-BWI

I want to stopover in a co-terminal of my origin. Not sure if that counts as returning to the origin or not. Also, not sure if ending at BWI is the same as 2 stops in the DC area. I guess it would be a moot point if the 1st segment is aaa-xJFK...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I want to stopover in a co-terminal of my origin.
You cannot.

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Also, not sure if ending at BWI is the same as 2 stops in the DC area.
The last point in an Explorer itinerary is not a stopover.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:31 pm

Changing Canceling an Explorer AAward

No changes to routing and the other stuff, but what happens if you "just have to" cancel the trip and go home?

Does the ticket go bye-bye?
Are they any options in a medical emergency?
Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:40 am

AA said, reschedule the trip or if a medical emergency, talk to CS when you get back. Not sure how CS can parse a refund for an Explorer AAward.
Does anyone have experience or knowledge about discontinuing an Explorer AAward while on the trip? Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zznoname
AA said, reschedule the trip or if a medical emergency, talk to CS when you get back. Not sure how CS can parse a refund for an Explorer AAward.
Does anyone have experience or knowledge about discontinuing an Explorer AAward while on the trip? Thanks.
Trip insurance worth considering and shelling out for? At least that gets you home first should you have emergency.

The rest probably would take weeks if not months, to work it out with AAdvantage desk on how to refund - i.e. recalculating the miles per distance actually flown, and if it met the 2 other airlines requirement on the portion flown, etc etc to determine exactly how much miles should cost if it was still valid for an Explorer award or it changed to a regular award...

if you have to worry about all these unforeseen situations, may be not to book an Explorer award at the first place? As all other awards can be changed, even after travel started, much more flexible than the Explorer award which gives great flexibility in routing in turn you give up almost all flexibility after ticketing. You choose what works best for you. Cannot have the cake and eat it too.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Oneworld explorer F award with segment within Japan

Just booked an Oneworld explorer F award from ORD-NRt/HND-ITM/KIX-HKG. Traveling in June this year. AA agent ticketed the award, but told me that NRT/HND-ITM/KIX segment could not be in F or J even when F or J seats opens up. Is that correct information that one cannot book F or J seat for JL domestic flight using Oneworld exploer Award?

AA Agent was also unable to get seat assigned for this within Japan segment. What are the ways for us to get seat assigned?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily
Just booked an Oneworld explorer F award from ORD-NRt/HND-ITM/KIX-HKG. Traveling in June this year. AA agent ticketed the award, but told me that NRT/HND-ITM/KIX segment could not be in F or J even when F or J seats opens up. Is that correct information that one cannot book F or J seat for JL domestic flight using Oneworld exploer Award?

AA Agent was also unable to get seat assigned for this within Japan segment. What are the ways for us to get seat assigned?
Dont know if JL even offers F on those domestic segments. I do know that if it is a J award, all JL domestic segments would be booked in Y, regardless of availability.

On top of that JL domestic segments do not open for seat assignment until 2 months before travel.

HND-ITM is really short. I would take the bullet train than fly this segment if possible. The time to get to HND and then from ITM to get to KIX, together with the time spent at the airport waiting to board the flight and the flight time - all added up would probably come close to the train travel time from Tokyo proper to Osaka proper.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:47 pm

I am trying to figure out how many segments in this itinerary?

1 HNL depart
2 NRT stop
3 ICN stop
4 TPE stop
5 HKG connection
6 PVG stop
7 KUL connection
8 PER stop
9 KUL connection
10 DEL stop
11 AMM connection
12 DXB stop
13 AMM connection
12 BNC stop
15 LHR stop
16 JFK connection
17 BDA stop

I know the rules only allow 16 segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.