Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can Google "IST airport wiki" for a link to the Wikipedia article for IST Airport. It will list the airport's carriers and cities served by them.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Sizook
How would I be able to get to Ist? Any thoughts. Im new. I was thinking cx to hkg, and sin. and ist-hlr- dfw on ba but not familiar with how to get to Ist.
From SIN-IST, you could do

1. SIN-KUL on MH, KUL-AMM-IST on RJ

2. SIN-BKK on CX, BKK-AMM-IST on RJ

3. SIN-CMB on CX, CMB-AMM-IST on RJ

These flights don't operate daily so you need work on the dates. You could download OW timetable or use interactive map on Oneworld.com.

Keep in mind that using BA will cost you an arm and leg.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
[QUOTE=Sizook;20241838]
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Finally had enough miles to book 3 awards in biz class.

SFO - HKG (stopover) (CX)
HKG - DPS (stopover) (CX)
DPS - KUL (Connection) (MH)
KUL - SIN (Stopover) (MH)
SIN - CMB (Stopover) (CX)
CMB - MLE (Will use emirates miles)
CMB - AMM (Connection) (RJ)
AMM - IST (Stopover) (RJ)
IST - LHR (Connection) (BA)
LHR - ORD (Connection) (AA)
ORD - MCO (Stopover) (AA)
MCO - ORD (Connection) (AA)
ORD - SFO (Final Destination) (AA)

Total miles per person 130,000.

Thats over 25000 milesHow did you get it for 130000miles per person?
I know, but that's what the agent quoted me and ticketed as. I hope they dont back track and remove miles from my account.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by cbjmh
Thanks 3Cforme for the answer. If part 1 of my trip start from Oct and then we pay our own ways back to JFK in Dec. In May of 2014, we pay our way and start the 2nd part of the trip which will end in July, 2014. We plan to fly business, each of us has roughly 200,000 AA award miles. If we book the tickets in March, then we have up to March 2014 to finish our trip. In this case, we are not able to split the trip into two parts. Should we just book the first part of the trip now in order to get the seats and get the second part later on? Instead of book one ticket for all the cities, book two tickets separately and use more AA award miles. Any suggestion???? Thanks.
I would suggest that you read the first post in the following thread. There are lots of useful information.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html

With 200K each you have, you can redeem OW award for up to 35,000 flying miles (190K) in business which will cost you 190K.

With all the stops you want to go, booking two tickets separately will use more miles. I don't think you have enough miles for two tickets with all the stops.

Here is a tentative routing with 16 segments for you to play around. According to GC map, it will be 34,401 miles. Also, I am not sure if you can redeem DPS-CNS. If not, you will need a connection somewhere.

jfk-sfo-hkg-dps-cns-syd-(kul)-mnl-(hkg)-fra-txl-dme-led-(txl)-bcn-mad-jfk

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=j...avy&MAP-STYLE=

I guess you can fly out TXL after your first trip and in for the second.

Last edited by ilovetofly; Feb 13, 2013 at 4:28 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:52 pm

[QUOTE=iqbalt80;20241963]
Originally Posted by Sizook

I know, but that's what the agent quoted me and ticketed as. I hope they dont back track and remove miles from my account.
I would expect it to be caught at some point -- I've had AA call me back booking these awards because the first agent made a mistake, etc.

Also why not do KUL-MLE using this award as well on MH? If you're going to be hit with the OW190C award tier you might as well use those extra flight miles
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
[QUOTE=sellouts;20242192]

I would expect it to be caught at some point -- I've had AA call me back booking these awards because the first agent made a mistake, etc.

Also why not do KUL-MLE using this award as well on MH? If you're going to be hit with the OW190C award tier you might as well use those extra flight miles
Not able to find any MH business class seats from KUL - MLE. All I can see is Economy. Checked at BA.com

Also if i do KUL-MLE, what about SIN? How do i bring that into the picture.

I guess I can also buy the DPS - SIN ticket. $50 per person on AirAsia.

Last edited by iqbalt80; Feb 13, 2013 at 6:20 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

As the query was largely about a oneworld Explorer award, it has been merged into the appropriate thread. Please be sure to read the first post in this thread for some useful information.

Another tool to help visualize routes and flights is the oneworld interactive route map here.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:40 pm

[QUOTE=iqbalt80;20242474]
Originally Posted by sellouts

Not able to find any MH business class seats from KUL - MLE. All I can see is Economy. Checked at BA.com

Also if i do KUL-MLE, what about SIN? How do i bring that into the picture.

I guess I can also buy the DPS - SIN ticket. $50 per person on AirAsia.
I booked KUL-SIN in business class on MH. It is a 1 hr flight.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:44 pm

[QUOTE=sellouts;20242797]

I booked KUL-SIN in business class on MH. It is a 1 hr flight.
I have the same. I was thinking about KUL-MLE. Nothing available on that except Y seats.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:45 pm

If i am over by 250 miles (threshold 25000 miles) will AA be lenient enough to let it go or I will hit a brick wall?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:57 pm

If i am over by 250 miles (threshold 25000 miles) will AA be lenient enough to let it go or I will hit a brick wall?
Did you get an e-ticket confirmation?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ilovetofly
Did you get an e-ticket confirmation?
I still have the award on hold. I am contemplating whether to change the last few legs so i am around 25298 miles rather than 25594 miles.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:38 pm

I still have the award on hold. I am contemplating whether to change the last few legs so i am around 25298 miles rather than 25594 miles.
Whatever the case, unless your itinerary includes a direct flight that helps you cut the mileage down to below 25000, I wouldn't count on being able to "skip" a band. You previously said that your award was "ticket as", but if you haven't ticketed it, you are almost certainly going to be charged for the higher band.

Even if not, I have, multiple times, received emails from AA asking me to call back and back out of changes that violate the oneworld explorer award, even though an agent initially allowed it over the phone.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Whatever the case, unless your itinerary includes a direct flight that helps you cut the mileage down to below 25000, I wouldn't count on being able to "skip" a band. You previously said that your award was "ticket as", but if you haven't ticketed it, you are almost certainly going to be charged for the higher band.

Even if not, I have, multiple times, received emails from AA asking me to call back and back out of changes that violate the oneworld explorer award, even though an agent initially allowed it over the phone.
Thanks for the input. I am going to add a open jaw at DPS. Buy a $100 * 3 ticket on QR from DPS to SIN.

Called AA desk to book QF Codeshare Jetstar flight. No go. Only option available was Cathay or Malaysian

Last edited by iqbalt80; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:12 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:12 pm

Am I understanding this correctly, if Im booking in business class in a world explorer award and there s only two classes on a particular route, am I downgraded to coach instead of first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.