Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I have read the summary in the first post, but not the rest of this long thread. If my answer is in a post or elsewhere, a link is appreciated.

What happens if I need to change the ticket after issue such that it is no longer eligible to be a OW Explorer award? can I keep the award bookings I am not changing, and pay for them as regular (maybe one-way) awards? I realize there would be a $150 fee, that is not a problem.

Similarly, what happens if I have flown some segments and then need to cancel the rest (let's say I can't fly on the day booked, and can't find an award on the same award/routing for when I want to fly)? Would I be able to pay for the segments flown as one-way awards, or would I lose all the miles?

Specifically, consider

ORD-HKG-DEL: CX
DEL-DOH-ORD: QR

This is 130K miles, less than a roundtrip on CX (170K miles) or QR (135K miles). However, suppose I discover (before or after taking the outbound) that I cannot fly on the return flights booked and cannot find any award seats on days I can fly. Of course I'll have to get a paid ticket for the return, but what happens to the miles I paid? Am I screwed?
I know for a fact that once an award is partially flown, there is no way to get any miles back. So, if you ticket an explorer award and fly even just one segment, you no longer can get any miles back. There is no way to retroactively re-book it as a partner award.

As for rebooking an explorer award into regular awards before you fly the first segment, I am not too sure. Based on the fact that you can do so before ticketing (i.e. when you are holding award), my impression is that the AA system should have a way to hold and rebook the space, but in reality I think it would be very tricky.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ckpeter
I know for a fact that once an award is partially flown, there is no way to get any miles back. So, if you ticket an explorer award and fly even just one segment, you no longer can get any miles back. There is no way to retroactively re-book it as a partner award.
Many thanks for clarifying. This is a significant difference between explorer awards and AA/partner awards, so maybe it should be in the first post.

Come to think of it, I don't actually know for sure that a normal round trip AA/partner award can be split into one-ways and then partially canceled.

Originally Posted by ckpeter
As for rebooking an explorer award into regular awards before you fly the first segment, I am not too sure. Based on the fact that you can do so before ticketing (i.e. when you are holding award), my impression is that the AA system should have a way to hold and rebook the space, but in reality I think it would be very tricky.
It should be possible since the fare class is the same. But direct experience would be useful. I had planned to try the reverse...change a currently booked round trip into an explorer award, keeping the CX outbound and changing the inbound to QR for $150 and a miles reinstatement. But at this point I won't try because of the no-refund issue.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 30, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Many thanks for clarifying. This is a significant difference between explorer awards and AA/partner awards, so maybe it should be in the first post.

Come to think of it, I don't actually know for sure that a normal round trip AA/partner award can be split into one-ways and then partially canceled.

It should be possible since the fare class is the same. But direct experience would be useful. I had planned to try the reverse...change a currently booked round trip into an explorer award, keeping the CX outbound and changing the inbound to QR for $150 and a miles reinstatement. But at this point I won't try because of the no-refund issue.
There is NO R/T award which is nothing more than 2 One-Way awards booked under same PNR on same ticket. AA has gone on One-Way system for several years already - all awards are One-Way awards. One PNR can hold up to 4 awards. A R/T award is nothing more than a notion in your mind due to the old habit never dies.

You can definitely cancel the return portion of the "R/T" award because it is merely a 2nd One-Way award booked with the same PNR as the 1st One-Way award. Of course you would need to pay the $150 redeposit fee.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:50 pm

No business seats - use economy

I am in the process of booking my first Global Explorer award flight doing 16 segments and travelling about 35,000 miles. I was looking at the aa.com site to determine the availability of flights so when I call the agent I can have some preliminary data on hand. I need 2 seats - non stop at a certain time to meet another flight. Here is what I found for SFO to ORD on Feb 24,2014:
1. 1 seat available - Business Mile Saver award level @ 25,000 miles
2. More than 1 seat available - Economy Anytime award level @ 25,000 miles.
3. No seats available - Economy Mile Saver @ 12,500 miles.

I thought that I could use Business miles to get an economy seat if the mileage level was the same or less. The agent said that I could only get the seat if it was available as a Economy Mile Saver seat. If I am correct, how do I convince the agent that they are wrong and the correct rule is what I described above? I looked at the seat availability and no seats were sold so how can only one seat be available.

Can you advise me on what the rule regarding this is since I could not find this subject in your rules. Sorry if I missed it in your rules.

Thanks, Rick
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I thought that I could use Business miles to get an economy seat if the mileage level was the same or less. The agent said that I could only get the seat if it was available as a Economy Mile Saver seat. If I am correct, how do I convince the agent that they are wrong and the correct rule is what I described above?"

You are incorrect; the agent is correct.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:01 am

If I start an explorer award from IAD am I allowed to connect through DCA at some point in the itinerary?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mfr2000
If I start an explorer award from IAD am I allowed to connect through DCA at some point in the itinerary?
No. No connections or stopovers at your first or last airport or any of their co-terminals.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:20 am

I know that co-terminals count as segments. Do they also count as individual connections?
For example if I do LGA-JFK as a connection and later on EWR-LGA as a connection that means I am connecting in NYC twice correct?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by mfr2000
I know that co-terminals count as segments. Do they also count as individual connections?
For example if I do LGA-JFK as a connection and later on EWR-LGA as a connection that means I am connecting in NYC twice correct?
I'm not sure if a definitive answer exists, but my instincts say they would count as connections, as stopovers/connections/open-jaws are done by city. So, doing that would use up two connections in NYC, leaving you with only being able to stopover, and depart at the end of an open-jaw at other points within the award. Remember the time limits according to the award for connections, while certainly workable, can be somewhat tenuous when making those connections you list.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Thoughts on the below itinerary and carriers? Let me know if you have any recommendations, I was thinking of doing it in F (180K vs J @ 130K).

sfo-tyo (AA)
tyo-icn (JAL)
icn-hkg
hkg-sin
sin-mel (QA)
mel-syd-SFO (QA if there's space)

PS Great Circle Mapper says it's 20,376 mi but if AA has the same distances I'll just take the shortest segment and make it a BA distance award (open jaw the rest) to get it under 20K (cheaper than getting bumped into 25K!)

Last edited by silverforumsurf; Nov 4, 2013 at 3:31 am
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Thoughts on the below itinerary and carriers? Let me know if you have any recommendations, I was thinking of doing it in F (180K vs J @ 150K).

sfo-tyo (AA) *F
tyo-icn (JAL)
icn-hkg (CX)
hkg-syd-mel (QAN) *F
mel-syd-SFO (QAN) *F

PS Great Circle Mapper says it's 20,064 miles but if AA has the same distances I'll just take the shortest segment and make it a BA distance award (open jaw the rest) to get it under 20K (cheaper than getting bumped into 25K!)
Be aware that QF does not fly its A380 every day on the HKG-SYD segment
On the days it flies a B747 it does not offer F

SYD-MEL and MEL-SYD will be in domestic J
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Thoughts on the below itinerary and carriers? Let me know if you have any recommendations, I was thinking of doing it in F (180K vs J @ 130K).

sfo-tyo (AA)
tyo-icn (JAL)
icn-hkg
hkg-sin
sin-mel (QA)
mel-syd-SFO (QA if there's space)

PS Great Circle Mapper says it's 20,376 mi but if AA has the same distances I'll just take the shortest segment and make it a BA distance award (open jaw the rest) to get it under 20K (cheaper than getting bumped into 25K!)
IATA airline designator for Qantas is QF , just in case you have further questions. It helps anyone answer it as I had to think about what QA was before I saw the routing (and also now though you listed the routing, without you listing the routing, QA could mean Qatar Airways to some, though Qatar's IATA designator is QR). Also, QF no longer flies SYD-SFO direct, so you would have to fly SYD-LAX-SFO or SYD-DFW-SFO. Best of luck finding space on SYD-LAX (SYD-DFW doesn't have F and would add a couple thousand more BIS miles which might bump your award up to the next bracket) but it looks good otherwise.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Thanks. Apparently Qantas business SYD-LAX award is akin to winning the lotto! I'll have to do SYD-NRT-SFO worst case I guess..
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks. Apparently Qantas business SYD-LAX award is akin to winning the lotto! I'll have to do SYD-NRT-SFO worst case I guess..
Good luck there too. I eventually had to go SYD-PVG-LAX-SFO (but that may be extreme). Don't rule out HKG as a connection either.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Which is whats killing me right now.. I may have to just scratch the entire SYD (South Pacific) part of the trip..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.