Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by student
So the question now is on a business class award can I change to business if it opens up later?
Absolutely. Just call AA.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton G, Delta G, UA 1k, AA G
Just to followup I also had two open jaws because I left SFO and returned to LAX plus the Hanoi-BKK. Because I didn't have enough miles I changed to Hanoi-SIN and then returned to LAX. Of course it took me an hour to convince AA that the open jaw mileage should not count against me half of that time was with a supervisor who still didn't understand the rules and would make a change that was permitted under the rules because it would require 190,000 miles. I got to tire of arguing and currently have the following reserved.

LAX-HKG
stop
HKG-HAN
open jaw
SIN-ADL
connect
ADL-SYD
Stop
SYD-HNL
Stop
HNL-LAX.

I may change the SIN-ADL to SIN-BNE put they are giving me so much trouble I don't know if I wan to be bothered. Thnaks for your help.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:56 pm

Surcharges for SFO-HKG-SYD

Hello,

I am seeking clarification/confirmation please....I was trying to decrypt taxes for the segments in the title, and I see there is both an AA YR surcharge (YR) - $195/pax & a CX YR surcharge (YR) - $70.10/pax.

Does AA pass these through? I don't see any mention of YR on page 1 of this thread.

Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:02 pm
Suspended

The first page of this thread is clear about this. AA collects a surcharge only for flights operated by BA or IB.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
The first page of this thread is clear about this. AA collects a surcharge only for flights operated by BA or IB.
That was my interpretation initially as well, but wanted to double check.

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I can't check actual inventory because the 331 day window has not arrived yet. However, I am trying to plan a oneworld explorer award trip late next year from ORD to Italy (Milan or Rome), Hong Kong, and Japan. I can either do Italy or Asia first. Does not matter to me. If AA collects surcharges for BA and IB, does anyone have advice on how to go between the Italy/ORD segment on the award and avoid the surcharges? I've checked inventory for other days (not mine since not in the window yet) and it seems like the only flights are on BA or IB on numerous days. There is a nonstop route on AA between ORD/Italy, but it doesn't appear to offer any award inventory...I've checked multiple multiple days.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I can't check actual inventory because the 331 day window has not arrived yet. However, I am trying to plan a oneworld explorer award trip late next year from ORD to Italy (Milan or Rome), Hong Kong, and Japan. I can either do Italy or Asia first. Does not matter to me. If AA collects surcharges for BA and IB, does anyone have advice on how to go between the Italy/ORD segment on the award and avoid the surcharges? I've checked inventory for other days (not mine since not in the window yet) and it seems like the only flights are on BA or IB on numerous days. There is a nonstop route on AA between ORD/Italy, but it doesn't appear to offer any award inventory...I've checked multiple multiple days.
Besides BA and IB, your other options to Italy include AY (Finnair) and AB (Air Berlin). Airlines don't always release all the award seats at the opening of the booking window, so it pays to keep checking.

If you can find IB over the water, it may be a good option. While AA does levy a surcharge for IB award flights, it is far less than BA and could be a good option if you can find availability.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Besides BA and IB, your other options to Italy include AY (Finnair) and AB (Air Berlin). Airlines don't always release all the award seats at the opening of the booking window, so it pays to keep checking.

If you can find IB over the water, it may be a good option. While AA does levy a surcharge for IB award flights, it is far less than BA and could be a good option if you can find availability.
Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:16 am

Deleted. Sorry - confusion.

Last edited by TravelLawyer; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:30 am
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Besides BA and IB, your other options to Italy include AY (Finnair) and AB (Air Berlin).
And HG from Vienna.

If the OP goes to Asia first, there are nonstop flights for CX from Hong Kong and RJ from AMM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:12 pm

And HG from Vienna.

If the OP goes to Asia first, there are nonstop flights for CX from Hong Kong and RJ from AMM.
Thanks Austinrunner - I was actually trying to get between Italy and Chicago (or anywhere else in the U.S. without going through BA). That's the segment that I'm having issues with. Getting TO Italy doesn't seem to be a huge problem.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
The only airline to avoid long-haul is BA, due to predatory fuel surcharges. IB etc are ok, and so would be BA for short intra-Europe segments.

You should look at AA, Finnair, Iberia, Royal Jordanian, Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines. Research at the OW route map site http://onw.innosked.com/?show=MAP. These awards cannot use codeshares, so avoid those.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:19 pm

So I called 800-882-8880 to put the first parts of the segments on hold (since those are within the 331 day window) and the rep says that she doesn't see any U availability for oneworld awards on any of the segments I told her. The BA award checker for JL and CX is showing 2-5 seats on each segment for the dates I'm looking at. Did I just get a bad rep or is the BA award checker not up to date???
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:46 am
Suspended

The JL website provides more accuracy concerning CX and JL availability.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:00 am

The JL website provides more accuracy concerning CX and JL availability.
Thanks. I know how to search for partner availability on JL for CX. But is JL oneworld award availability the same as its regular award availability?

Same question for AA oneworld award availability...I see saver awards on AA's own website available for regular AAdvantage award travel, but when I search for AA on BA or JL websites, the AA awards do not show up. Does that mean it cannot be used for oneworld awards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.