Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:34 am

Flight shows no availability

I am in the process of booking my Explorer award. According to Award Nexus, there is inventory on all of my flights (at least economy, if not business) except for my last leg. The last leg is AA from EZE-DFW or EZE-MIA. I would then go from either of those cities back to my home destination of STL. What are my options? Can I not book this ticket at all until the inventory shows up?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by badgersfly
I am in the process of booking my Explorer award. According to Award Nexus, there is inventory on all of my flights (at least economy, if not business) except for my last leg. The last leg is AA from EZE-DFW or EZE-MIA. I would then go from either of those cities back to my home destination of STL. What are my options? Can I not book this ticket at all until the inventory shows up?

Thanks!
1. You can put what is currently available on a five-day hold (unless you have one or more segments on LAN).

2. You can try a different routing. Have you checked LAN flights out of EZE co-terminal AEP?

3. You can request that AA Revenue Management make a SAAver seat available out of EZE, and you can "appeal" if Revenue Management initially declines to do so.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat
Planning RTW

How far in advance should one be planning to book an around the world trip??? I'm planning on the following itinerary for after graduation

NYC > LHR > DXB > CAI > DAR > CPT > RIO > UIO > BOG > HNL (Possibly DCA)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ebaniaga
How far in advance should one be planning to book an around the world trip??? I'm planning on the following itinerary for after graduation

The sooner, the better.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ebaniaga

I suggest that you try working out your actual routing first. You are limited to 16 segments (and a maximum of one open jaw), but some of your city pairs do not have direct service on oneworld carriers. You may find that you will run out of segments before the end of your desired itinerary.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
So I am on the phone right now with the AAdvantage desk trying to book an award. Many of my segments are on LAN.

They are saying that right now they cannot book/hold any LAN segments for awards due to the glitch going on with the LAN system conversion. This is making my booking pretty tricky, since I have to snap up segments 331 days out as they become available on the return. They gave no ETA when this would be up and running.

Could this possibly be a reason to get a hold, or to be able to add segments after the hold time and have the change fees waived?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:27 am

Worth the gamble?

I am continuing to work on my itinerary. I have booked my fiance on the following in business:
STL-LAX AA
LAX-HKG CX
HKG-JNB CX
JNB-SYD QF
SYD-HKG CX
HKG-CDG CX
MAD-EZE IB
EZE-DFW AA (10/6/13)
DFW-STL AA

My itinerary looks the same until we get to EZE. There was no inventory (coach or business) available on the same EZE-DFW flight (I have already gone to Revenue Management with no success). I only have the itineraries on hold until tomorrow evening. In the meantime I have booked myself EZE-MIA, then onward to STL. The good thing is that they leave EZE around the same times, the bad thing is we would be on different flights. If I read the first post in the thread correctly, I could book EZE-DFW on 10/7 for myself and then hope that inventory opens up at some point and change myself back to her 10/6 flight, therefore avoiding any change fees. But if I stick with my current plan through MIA, there is no way for me to change to her flight should inventory open up without a change fee. Correct? If so, does anyone have thoughts on which option I should take? Maybe I am missing something?
Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:06 pm

I am continuing to work on my itinerary. I have booked my fiance on the following in business:
STL-LAX AA
LAX-HKG CX
HKG-JNB CX
JNB-SYD QF
SYD-HKG CX
HKG-CDG CX
MAD-EZE IB
EZE-DFW AA (10/6/13)
DFW-STL AA

My itinerary looks the same until we get to EZE. There was no inventory (coach or business) available on the same EZE-DFW flight (I have already gone to Revenue Management with no success). I only have the itineraries on hold until tomorrow evening. In the meantime I have booked myself EZE-MIA, then onward to STL. The good thing is that they leave EZE around the same times, the bad thing is we would be on different flights. If I read the first post in the thread correctly, I could book EZE-DFW on 10/7 for myself and then hope that inventory opens up at some point and change myself back to her 10/6 flight, therefore avoiding any change fees. But if I stick with my current plan through MIA, there is no way for me to change to her flight should inventory open up without a change fee. Correct? If so, does anyone have thoughts on which option I should take? Maybe I am missing something?
Thanks
If the inventory is available, couldn't you both take the 10/7 flight?

Also, I don't see anything CDG-MAD. Are you doing that overland or with a non-OW carrier?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by 2millionquest
If the inventory is available, couldn't you both take the 10/7 flight?

Also, I don't see anything CDG-MAD. Are you doing that overland or with a non-OW carrier?
10/7 doesn't work as our 3 weeks of vacation from work will be up by then, in addition to the fact that there is only 1 seat in inventory on that flight as well. It would just be an insurance policy on my part to hope that the 10/6 inventory opens up for me to switch. That's the risk.
I realize it's AA's choice to do what they want with award seats, but it's a little frustrating that I was able to get two business award seats on almost all of the partner airlines for our flights, but when it came to AA they only had one seat per flight available (all classes).

As for CDG-MAD, that's an open jaw we are doing via train.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"As for CDG-MAD, that's an open jaw we are doing via train."

Note that IB does fly ORY-MAD, in case you would rather not take the train.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

Thanks for the idea, but a stop in Bordeaux is on the agenda!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the idea, but a stop in Bordeaux is on the agenda!
OK. Iberia's Air Nostrum affiliate flies BOD-MAD, in case you'd like to fly that leg on your Explorer award.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:47 pm

10/7 doesn't work as our 3 weeks of vacation from work will be up by then, in addition to the fact that there is only 1 seat in inventory on that flight as well. It would just be an insurance policy on my part to hope that the 10/6 inventory opens up for me to switch. That's the risk.
I realize it's AA's choice to do what they want with award seats, but it's a little frustrating that I was able to get two business award seats on almost all of the partner airlines for our flights, but when it came to AA they only had one seat per flight available (all classes).

As for CDG-MAD, that's an open jaw we are doing via train.
From everything I've heard and read, AA often opens only one seat at a time. You're talking almost a year out. I think you have an excellent chance of having another seat open up between now and your trip.

I'm a very risk-averse person and wouldn't take the gamble, but if you're more comfortable with it (and many here on FT are), I think it's probably a relatively safe gamble to book yourself on the other date and then move to the date you want when the seat opens up. If you don't already have a subscription to EF, now would probably be a good time to get one.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:03 pm

OK. Iberia's Air Nostrum affiliate flies BOD-MAD, in case you'd like to fly that leg on your Explorer award.
Great idea, didn't even think about that! It's easy to get a train to Bordeaux, but not nearly as easy for me to figure out how to get from Bordeaux to Madrid...plus it saves some cash!! Thanks

Originally Posted by 2millionquest
From everything I've heard and read, AA often opens only one seat at a time. You're talking almost a year out. I think you have an excellent chance of having another seat open up between now and your trip.

I'm a very risk-averse person and wouldn't take the gamble, but if you're more comfortable with it (and many here on FT are), I think it's probably a relatively safe gamble to book yourself on the other date and then move to the date you want when the seat opens up. If you don't already have a subscription to EF, now would probably be a good time to get one.
I'm pretty risk averse as well, but I like your thought about the fact that something "has" to open up between now and then. I was going to use Award Nexus over EF, as I am also looking to upgrade one segment on QF too. Do you recommend that I do EF over Award Nexus?
Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:05 pm

I'm pretty risk averse as well, but I like your thought about the fact that something "has" to open up between now and then. I was going to use Award Nexus over EF, as I am also looking to upgrade one segment on QF too. Do you recommend that I do EF over Award Nexus?
Thanks!
Unfortunately, I've never used Award Nexus, so I can't compare the two; however, I have had extremely good results with EF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.