Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:05 pm
Suspended

You may have a maximum of one stopover plus two connections at SYD.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ghostboy
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
6 hours is the maximum for an international connection on an Explorer award. Refer to the first post in this thread or the website in my signature.
Thanks, sorry I missed this in the first post. So, based on that, as long as my connection in SYD on the inbound to ROK (destination of stopover), then I could overnight in SYD before the SYD-LAX outbound?

lax-lhr(AA)-sin(QF)-syd(BA)-bne-rok//syd-lax(QF) = 24,404

Thanks.
If you are now planning a ROK//SYD open jaw on the award itinerary, then you are free to either stop over or connect during your first SYD transit. Unless there has been a recent change in the rules, the tail end of an open jaw (SYD in the case of a ROK//SYD open jaw) counts as neither a stopover nor a connection for Explorer award purposes.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:00 pm

Checked Luggage?

I have a question about checked luggage on a Business Class Explorer Award. I'm surprised there is no talk of this in the thread.

Business Class gives me 3 checked bags with my trip originating in the US. It seems obvious that I would be allowed these 3 bags for my entire journey- but I wanted to be sure given my trip to SE Asia and Dragonair looks to be 3 segments of my itinerary. This trip is 7 months so I will be utilizing all of my 3 bags with the considerable weight allowed. As I'm sure many know, the local asian carriers charge by weight- so I don't want some gotcha to turn those 3 segments into $3,000 in excess baggage fees!

The additional question is when a flight has no business class. I understand I would then fly coach; but do my bags continue to get a business class allowance of 3 bags? Again, seems obvious that if I start with 3 the ticket would be for 3 bags from start to finish- but I cannot find anything that states such.

thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:12 pm

Award currently on hold!

I started researching this back in Dec 11 for a trip starting in Jan 13. My original plan & routing were found with the help of pandaperth & austinrunner here

I have had to make a few changes since then due to AMM-NBO being cancelled as well as Kingfisher still not being bookable on the explorer award (to my knowledge).

tl;dr - I have an award reservation on hold until 9/12. We will be departing AKL in late January 2013 & the itinerary is:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=akl-syd...st-mad-ord-msp

AKL-SYD (QF) - biz
SYD-HBA (QF) - biz
HBA-MEL (QF) - econ
MEL-HKG (QF) - biz
HKG-BKK (CX) - biz
BKK-DEL (CX) - biz
DEL-AMM-CAI (RJ) - biz
CAI-AMM (RJ) - biz
AMM-IST (RJ) - biz
IST-MAD (IB) - biz
MAD-ORD(IB)-MSP(AA) - biz

I have a couple questions to the veterans:
1. How do I check the taxes/fees via ITA Matrix? It only allows ~6 segments max. Don't the fees change whether you are connecting or stopping over at airports?
2. I would like to change the carrier from MEL-HKG from QF to CX since the QF flight doesn't have full lie-flat seats. Is this possible without having to re-look for inventory for everthing else? The CX flight I would like is available.
3. Any final recommendations other than what I've asked? I wouldn't be opposed to changing things up if I get some good advice before actually ticketing this itinerary.

Thanks & sorry for the long read!

Last edited by captaincool; Sep 8, 2012 at 4:16 pm Reason: forgot to add gcmap
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:41 pm
Suspended

On ITA, figure the taxes between stopovers (including the connections between stopovers). You don't have to enter the whole itinerary all at once.

You can make whatever changes you want before ticketing without affecting the other segments being held.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captaincool
I started researching this back in Dec 11 for a trip starting in Jan 13. My original plan & routing were found with the help of pandaperth & austinrunner here

I have had to make a few changes since then due to AMM-NBO being cancelled as well as Kingfisher still not being bookable on the explorer award (to my knowledge).

tl;dr - I have an award reservation on hold until 9/12. We will be departing AKL in late January 2013 & the itinerary is:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=akl-syd...st-mad-ord-msp

AKL-SYD (QF) - biz
SYD-HBA (QF) - biz
HBA-MEL (QF) - econ
MEL-HKG (QF) - biz
HKG-BKK (CX) - biz
BKK-DEL (CX) - biz
DEL-AMM-CAI (RJ) - biz
CAI-AMM (RJ) - biz
AMM-IST (RJ) - biz
IST-MAD (IB) - biz
MAD-ORD(IB)-MSP(AA) - biz

I have a couple questions to the veterans:
1. How do I check the taxes/fees via ITA Matrix? It only allows ~6 segments max. Don't the fees change whether you are connecting or stopping over at airports?
2. I would like to change the carrier from MEL-HKG from QF to CX since the QF flight doesn't have full lie-flat seats. Is this possible without having to re-look for inventory for everthing else? The CX flight I would like is available.
3. Any final recommendations other than what I've asked? I wouldn't be opposed to changing things up if I get some good advice before actually ticketing this itinerary.

Thanks & sorry for the long read!
Seriously, you want to fly Kingfisher? That airline that is at the blink of going under and the main reason why it did not come in the fold of OneWorld as scheduled?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:17 pm
Suspended

RJ has been completely unreliable about the AMM-NBO route. Operated it for about 5 months earlier this year. Canceled it (without public comment). Loaded it for restart on 28 October 2012. Then canceled it again (also without public comment). Geez, RJ, you can do better than that.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Seriously, you want to fly Kingfisher? That airline that is at the blink of going under and the main reason why it did not come in the fold of OneWorld as scheduled?
It's about the destination for me, not the airline....
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by captaincool
It's about the destination for me, not the airline....
With Kingfisher, your odds of making it to your destination are not very good at the moment.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
AKL-PPT-IPC-SCL possible?

Trying to figure out if this routing is possible, since it looks like getting to PPT is a pain otherwise.

Looks like QF doesn't fly to PPT other than through codeshares with TN?

Anyone know if this route is possible, and the best way to find availability?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:24 am

Whoops, looks like going to AKL to PPT is possible on the one flight they do a week (I had the Partner Award checked instead of Qantas & Jetstar Any Seat Award).

No luck on BA or QF sites looking for a PPT to IPC flight.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:34 am
Suspended

This is the Explorer awards thread, not the "oneworld and other airline" awards thread. Only oneworld members may be used on Explorer awards. The only oneworld service to PPT is on LA from IPC. Please read the first post in this thread or the website linked in my signature for detailed information about Explorer awards.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:18 am

Ah, thanks for that. I was trying to make it work as part of an Explorer Award and got tripped up by the QF codeshare!

Last edited by MisterSelfish; Sep 10, 2012 at 10:28 am
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:26 am
Suspended

Have you read the first post in this thread?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:15 am

More thoroughly now, yep. Must have always skimmed past the code share section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.