Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by domthegreat
Hi everyone,

I hope this is not such a stupid "Newb" question, but I just started reading about these rewards today, and it seems intriguing to me. I was wondering would this be a good choice for island hopping the Caribbean? I am looking to fly from EZE to some places in the Caribbean (Cayman, BVI, Aruba, Bahamas, etc.) and then on to ORD and then back to EZE. This is our honeymoon ideal here. We have about 120k on American to use here. We could possibly end up with a few more by time we need to go in March.

Are these kind of rewards wroth investigating for our purposes?
Absolutely. These awards are based on total distance traveled and allow up to 16 Segments. As long as you can find award availability to desired destinations it will work very well. Coming from EZE to MIA then Island hopping and back to EZE it will cost you 90-100K in Miles in Coach per award though.

Enjoy the Island hopping
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by iridge
Originally Posted by domthegreat
Hi everyone,

I hope this is not such a stupid "Newb" question, but I just started reading about these rewards today, and it seems intriguing to me. I was wondering would this be a good choice for island hopping the Caribbean? I am looking to fly from EZE to some places in the Caribbean (Cayman, BVI, Aruba, Bahamas, etc.) and then on to ORD and then back to EZE. This is our honeymoon ideal here. We have about 120k on American to use here. We could possibly end up with a few more by time we need to go in March.

Are these kind of rewards wroth investigating for our purposes?
Absolutely. These awards are based on total distance traveled and allow up to 16 Segments. As long as you can find award availability to desired destinations it will work very well. Coming from EZE to MIA then Island hopping and back to EZE it will cost you 90-100K in Miles in Coach per award though.

Enjoy the Island hopping
Since an Explorer award requires that at least two of AA's oneworld partners be used on the itinerary, at least one intra-Caribbean flight would have to be on BA metal.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since an Explorer award requires that at least two of AA's oneworld partners be used on the itinerary, at least one intra-Caribbean flight would have to be on BA metal.
Good point! and you can fly LAN either into or out of NA.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And LAN also offers service between MIA and PUJ -- in both directions -- a few days a week.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by lcrall
Is there a way to email your ticket request to the One World Alliance ticket desk for explorer awards? I live overseas and a long distance phone call will cost me a lot of money.
Have you considered Skype? You can use it to call 1-800 numbers in the US at no cost.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:30 pm

Thank you! I did not realize that you could use Skype to call 1800 numbers.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Have you considered Skype? You can use it to call 1-800 numbers in the US at no cost.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
One World vs Global Explorer Questions

Hey all - still finishing up planning my 1st One World award for myself on the Mrs.

The new route I'm looking at (in business at this point) is:

ORF -> JFK -> SFO -> HKG -> SIN -> HKG/TPE -> ICN -> NRT -> SYD -> HBA -> MEL -> AKL -> SCL -> EZE -> JFK -> ORF

According to the GCM, the total distance is 34,475 miles - which is a little tighter than I'd like, but hopefully doable.

A couple questions:

1) I've been checking routing via the One World RTW tools, but it occurs to me that the rules on AA's One World ticket allow you to cross the Pacific multiple times. So is this routing valid?

2) Is there a rule to the number of stopovers you can do in your home country? We were looking at doing a stopover in SFO on the way out, and JFK on the way back.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wanderlustre
Hey all - still finishing up planning my 1st One World award for myself on the Mrs.

The new route I'm looking at (in business at this point) is:

ORF -> JFK -> SFO -> HKG -> SIN -> HKG/TPE -> ICN -> NRT -> SYD -> HBA -> MEL -> AKL -> SCL -> EZE -> JFK -> ORF

According to the GCM, the total distance is 34,475 miles - which is a little tighter than I'd like, but hopefully doable.

A couple questions:

1) I've been checking routing via the One World RTW tools, but it occurs to me that the rules on AA's One World ticket allow you to cross the Pacific multiple times. So is this routing valid?

2) Is there a rule to the number of stopovers you can do in your home country? We were looking at doing a stopover in SFO on the way out, and JFK on the way back.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
1. Yes.

2. No.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Excellent, thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:53 am

Missing a OW Explorer Award Segment

Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers77

Also, what is the latest time you can change date/time of a segment before the flight?

Thanks!
I had posted a few weeks ago asking about what the policy is on changing date/time for a segment, but got no answer. In a worst-case scenario, I wanted to know how much notice was needed to change before the actual flight time.

I called yesterday, and the AAgent told me that if you realize you are going to miss a flight, call and cancel that segment so that you can then reschedule that segment and not have all subsequent flights canceled on that itinerary. He said he was not aware of a minimum amount of time needed to change, however.

Does this sound correct to anyone? If it is true, I think it is very useful to know that you can cancel one segment to avoid ruining the whole trip.

Last edited by PhillyFlyers77; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:13 am
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:57 pm

LAN Issues

#1: When trying to view my ticketed OW Explorer Award itinerary on LAN website, there is no result.

I used the same PNR that I was given for CX and IB, which both show the flights no problem. Any idea why this may be?

#2: When I had my itinerary on hold, I got a call from AA saying that LAN doesn't like flights to be held, and that I needed to make a decision before the 5 days were up. Has anyone else heard this?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:11 pm

One World Explorer Award x2

I am planning my trip for next year (2013 summer) using the one world explorer award ticket at 1st I had intentions to use 1 ticket with the 16 segments however I realized that I want to visit more stops therefore I have split my trip into 2 awards.

I have been waiting for Air Malaysia to official join One World however I don't want to delay my planning as I realize how much work it will take to pull this all of. I am hoping that Air Malaysia don't change their destinations hoever I wanted to get feedback from others if the below trips follow all the rules:

1st Trip
HNL-HND(stopover)-PEK(stopover)-KIX(stopover)-PVG(stopover)-HKG(connection)-TSA(stopover)-ICN(stopover)-HKG(connection)-HAN(stopover)-KUL
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=HNL-HND...CN-HKG-HAN-KUL
12,378 in business class
Does any one have any advice on how to get this route under 10,000 miles?

2nd Trip
KUL-PER(stopover)-KUL(connection)-DEL(stopover)-AMM(connection)-DXB(stopover)-AMM(connection)-MAD(stopover)-LHR(connection)-LGW(connection)-BDA
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=KUL-PER...AD-LHR-LGW-BDA
19,024 miles in business class trying to keep this under 20,000

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am planning my trip for next year (2013 summer) using the one world explorer award ticket at 1st I had intentions to use 1 ticket with the 16 segments however I realized that I want to visit more stops therefore I have split my trip into 2 awards.

I have been waiting for Air Malaysia to official join One World however I don't want to delay my planning as I realize how much work it will take to pull this all of. I am hoping that Air Malaysia don't change their destinations hoever I wanted to get feedback from others if the below trips follow all the rules:

1st Trip
HNL-HND(stopover)-PEK(stopover)-KIX(stopover)-PVG(stopover)-HKG(connection)-TSA(stopover)-ICN(stopover)-HKG(connection)-HAN(stopover)-KUL
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=HNL-HND...CN-HKG-HAN-KUL
12,378 in business class
Does any one have any advice on how to get this route under 10,000 miles?

2nd Trip
KUL-PER(stopover)-KUL(connection)-DEL(stopover)-AMM(connection)-DXB(stopover)-AMM(connection)-MAD(stopover)-LHR(connection)-LGW(connection)-BDA
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=KUL-PER...AD-LHR-LGW-BDA
19,024 miles in business class trying to keep this under 20,000

Thanks in advance for any assistance
The second trip's routing violates Explorer award rules: You cannot connect in KUL if your itinerary begins or ends there.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:36 pm
Suspended

... hoever I wanted to get feedback from others if the below trips follow all the rules:

1st Trip
You'll need to substitute TPE for TSA.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:42 am

Recently Ticketed Explorer Award - Tax/Fee Question

(See question at bottom, thanks!)

Ticketed Itinerary:
JFK -> SYD (QF via LAX)
SYD -> MEL (QF)
MEL -> AKL (QF)
AKL -> BNE (QF)
BNE -> HKG (CX via CNS)
HKG -> BKK (CX)
BKK -> DEL (CX)
DEL -> AMM (RJ)
AMM -> CAI (RJ)
CAI -> MAD (IB)
MAD -> LIM (IB)
LIM -> IPC (LAN)
IPC -> SCL (LAN)
SCL -> PUQ (LAN via PMC)
PUQ / GIG (OPEN JAW)
GIG->JFK (AA)

Taxes/Fees for each segment via ITA Website (All YQ/YR in bold):
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $26.90
US International Departure Tax (US) $16.70
QF YQ surcharge (YQ) $340.00
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50

QF YQ surcharge (YQ) $2.60
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $3.70
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $3.60
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $5.70

QF YQ surcharge (YQ) $60.00
Australian Passenger Movement Charge (AU) $57.00
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $4.10
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $14.70
New Zealand Passenger Service Charge (KK) $14.10

QF YQ surcharge (YQ) $60.00
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $3.50
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $26.60
New Zealand Passenger Security Charge (IA) $7.30
New Zealand Passenger Service Charge (KK) $14.10
CX YR surcharge (YR) $124.70
Australian Passenger Movement Charge (AU) $57.00
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $4.80
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $26.60

(YR) $28.10
Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK) $15.50

(YR) $28.10
(YR) $1.20

Indian User Development Fee (IN) $15.53
Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TS) $22.40

Indian Service Tax (JN) $16.80
RJ YQ surcharge (YQ) $5.00
Indian Passenger Service Fee (WO) $3.65
Indian Development Fee (YM) $26.20
Indian User Development Fee (IN) $18.75

(YR) $40.50
(YQ) $5.00

Jordan Embarkation Tax (HQ) $56.60
Jordan Passenger Terminal Use Fee (NH) $8.50

Egypt Transportation Tax (EG) $9.50
(YQ) $31.50
Egypt Embarkation Tax (QH) $15.00
Service Charge at Cairo Airport (EQ) $1.00
Egypt Departure Fee (JK) $8.20
Egypt Ticket Issuance Fee (XK) $24.60

(YQ) $268.70
Spanish Airport Services Charge (JD) $26.20
Spanish Security Tax (QV) $4.80
Peru Int'l Arrival Tax (DY) $15.00

Peruvian Sales Tax (PE) $57.80
Peru Airport Departure Tax (HW) $30.74

Chile Domestic Airport Facility Charge (CL) $13.10

Chile Domestic Airport Facility Charge (CL) $13.10

US International Arrival Tax (US) $16.70
Brazil Embarkation Tax (BR) $36.82
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
-------------------------------------------------------------
Total = $1,762.79
Total (excluding ALL YR/YQ) = $767.39
-------------------------------------------------------------
I am curious as to why I was charged $665, even when all YR/YQ are excluded ITA says it should be more (and I know the IB YQ surcharges up to 30 Euros would be included as well).

Have I missed some line items that would be excluded above???

Just trying to understand as best I can for future reference. Thanks in advance for the help, this thread is great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.