Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by deraynman1
Lastly, any must see spots in South America that I'm missing?
You'd do better by posting this question in the South America forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by deraynman1
Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip for late 2013 that takes me from New York > Quito, Ecuador (tentative) > Buenos Aires, Argentina > Ushuaia, Argentina

And then on the way back: Puntas Arenas, Chile > Santiago, Chile > Lima, Peru > Cusco, Peru > New York

I love the idea of the Explorer Award, but I don't see any way to get two different non-AA airlines involved. Everything would be AA or LAN Airlines. I have a few questions: Is there a way to get a second airline on this itinerary? Is the Explorer Award the best way to do this trip? The All Partner Award on AA does not allow stopovers so I don't think that would work for me. Is it possible that using BA miles for every leg is the best solution?

Also I realized that Oneworld flights to Ushuaia are few and far between and might have to do a Delta Skymiles redemption for Aerolineas Argentinas. Lastly, any must see spots in South America that I'm missing?

I love seeing FTers help out new guys like me. Thanks in advance!
BA has a few intra-Caribbean flights with local-traffic rights, and IB has a couple of intra-Central America flights, as well. There's also CX service between JFK and YVR.

Whether it's worth the time and trouble to include any of those detours just to qualify for an Explorer award is something only you can decide.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:03 pm

Taxes on Oneworld Explorer Award

Hi,

I recently booked my first RTW trip, using 160k AA miles. I was wondering if $665 in taxes is correct/good for the following itinerary (all economy)?

Also, what is the latest time you can change date/time of a segment before the flight?

JFK -> SYD (QF via LAX)
SYD -> MEL (QF)
MEL -> AKL (QF)
AKL -> BNE (QF)
BNE -> HKG (CX via CNS)
HKG -> BKK (CX)
BKK -> DEL (CX)
DEL -> AMM (RJ)
AMM -> CAI (RJ)
CAI -> MAD (IB)
MAD -> LIM (IB)
LIM -> IPC (LAN)
IPC -> SCL (LAN)
SCL -> PUQ (LAN via PMC)
PUQ / GIG (OPEN JAW)
GIG->JFK (AA)

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Have you plugged in your itinerary at the ITA website and checked the taxes (etc.)? Refer to the first post in this thread.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Have you plugged in your itinerary at the ITA website and checked the taxes (etc.)? Refer to the first post in this thread.
I should have done that, but I guess I am more curious what you veterans think of the taxes for the mileage (~42,000) and route. Is it below/above the normal range for this type of trip, or is it impossible to compare?

*I have checked everywhere online, but could not find anything about the latest time to change date/times for a segment...is that information out there?

Thanks again.

Last edited by PhillyFlyers77; Aug 9, 2012 at 6:14 pm
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers77
I should have done that, but I guess I am more curious what you veterans think of the taxes for the mileage (~42,000) and route. Is it below/above the normal range for this type of trip, or is it impossible to compare?
Impossible to compare. Taxes (etc.) depend on routing, countries visited, cabin, stopovers, and other factors.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Impossible to compare. Taxes (etc.) depend on routing, countries visited, cabin, stopovers, and other factors.
Sounds good...

Does anyone know the rule for changing date/time of a Oneworld Explorer Award segment??? Can I change it up to 24 hours before departure? Appreciate any help.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds good...

Does anyone know the rule for changing date/time of a Oneworld Explorer Award segment??? Can I change it up to 24 hours before departure? Appreciate any help.
Since any change would need to re-issue the whole ticket, I were you I would not count on the "latest cut-off window" to do such a thing. Any hiccup in the re-issuance of your new ticket, you are likely screwed with such a short window to your departure. The worst nightmare could be, the partners do not get the proper re-ticketing info and your seats are canceled after certain time has lapsed and there is no seat available to reinstate the original route in the class booked...

Why would you run such a risk?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Since any change would need to re-issue the whole ticket, I were you I would not count on the "latest cut-off window" to do such a thing. Any hiccup in the re-issuance of your new ticket, you are likely screwed with such a short window to your departure. The worst nightmare could be, the partners do not get the proper re-ticketing info and your seats are canceled after certain time has lapsed and there is no seat available to reinstate the original route in the class booked...

Why would you run such a risk?
I am planning for worst case scenarios...if something happens and it looks like I may miss my flight, I would change it if possible. I am not trying to run such a risk, but you never know. I think it is wise to know all the rules before I'm out there.

Do you happen to know the rule on this though?

When you say they re-issue the whole ticket, does that mean any confirmed seat I had is released? Or they just have to properly carry those over to the new ticket?

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you say they re-issue the whole ticket, does that mean any confirmed seat I had is released? Or they just have to properly carry those over to the new ticket?

Thanks
The confirmed seats would not be released, but a new ticket would be re-issued and then send out to all the partners involved on that itinerary as the old ticket would be replaced, i.e. no longer good. So the partners have to receive the replacing ticket in order to keep the seats good. Glitch can happen and does happen - such as a segment or two completely fall off the itinerary (happened to our OneWorld awards before that took 2 or 3 days to get it fixed.)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Happy
The confirmed seats would not be released, but a new ticket would be re-issued and then send out to all the partners involved on that itinerary as the old ticket would be replaced, i.e. no longer good. So the partners have to receive the replacing ticket in order to keep the seats good. Glitch can happen and does happen - such as a segment or two completely fall off the itinerary (happened to our OneWorld awards before that took 2 or 3 days to get it fixed.)
Understood. I guess I'll call and see what the actual policy is.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I am pricing out some all partner and explorer options for a trip and, for reasons I can get into if needed, it seems like it would be better to start the Explorer trip in Asia and finish in the US - I can't find anywhere where it is a requirement to start and finish your trip in the same country - but am I missing something? Hopefully not. I'd like to do something like:
hkg-bne(stop)-cns(stop)-bne-hkg(stop)-tpe(stop)-nrt-lax-iad
Total Mileage is 19932, so it looks like the cost in business class would be 130,000 miles if I am not violating any of the rules with this.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel
I am pricing out some all partner and explorer options for a trip and, for reasons I can get into if needed, it seems like it would be better to start the Explorer trip in Asia and finish in the US - I can't find anywhere where it is a requirement to start and finish your trip in the same country - but am I missing something? Hopefully not. I'd like to do something like:
hkg-bne(stop)-cns(stop)-bne-hkg(stop)-tpe(stop)-nrt-lax-iad
Total Mileage is 19932, so it looks like the cost in business class would be 130,000 miles if I am not violating any of the rules with this.
Ending in a different country is an open jaw, which is allowed.

However, you can't connect in your origin (HKG) or destination.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by rrgg

Thanks!

Ok, then any ideas on another way to make this work, maybe deleting the HKG stopover and keeping the mileage under 20k?

Last edited by GrizShel; Aug 15, 2012 at 8:14 am Reason: correct mileage allowance
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Originally Posted by rrgg

Thanks!

Ok, then any ideas on another way to make this work, maybe deleting the HKG stopover and keeping the mileage under 15k?
On Explorer awards, the redemption rates change at 14K flown miles, not 15K.

How were you planning to get to HKG to start your Explorer award? If you were going to use a separate one-way award, you could fly to some other Asian city, and start the award there. Maybe someplace in Japan (other than Tokyo, since you want to pass through Tokyo on your Explorer award).

Remember that an Explorer award permits two connections and one stopover at any city other than the origin and destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.