FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:17 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by deraynman1
Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip for late 2013 that takes me from New York > Quito, Ecuador (tentative) > Buenos Aires, Argentina > Ushuaia, Argentina

And then on the way back: Puntas Arenas, Chile > Santiago, Chile > Lima, Peru > Cusco, Peru > New York

I love the idea of the Explorer Award, but I don't see any way to get two different non-AA airlines involved. Everything would be AA or LAN Airlines. I have a few questions: Is there a way to get a second airline on this itinerary? Is the Explorer Award the best way to do this trip? The All Partner Award on AA does not allow stopovers so I don't think that would work for me. Is it possible that using BA miles for every leg is the best solution?

Also I realized that Oneworld flights to Ushuaia are few and far between and might have to do a Delta Skymiles redemption for Aerolineas Argentinas. Lastly, any must see spots in South America that I'm missing?

I love seeing FTers help out new guys like me. Thanks in advance!
BA has a few intra-Caribbean flights with local-traffic rights, and IB has a couple of intra-Central America flights, as well. There's also CX service between JFK and YVR.

Whether it's worth the time and trouble to include any of those detours just to qualify for an Explorer award is something only you can decide.