Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Some things to consider, although I don't know if any are available at this late date:

(1) SIN -> CMB (CX) -> AMM (RJ) -> ORD or YUL or JFK (RJ) -> LAX (AA)

(2) SIN -> BKK (CX) -> AMM (RJ) -> ORD or YUL or JFK (RJ) -> LAX (AA). (Don't forget the
BKK -> DEL (CX) -> AMM (RJ) possibility.)

(3) SIN -> HKG (CX) -> PVG (CX or KA) -> LAX (AA)

(4) SIN -> SYD (QF) -> HNL (QF) -> LAX (AA)

(5) Westbound (through Europe or the Middle East) from Tokyo or Hong Kong.

(6) From HEL, connecting somewhere in Europe for the trans-Atlantic flight.
Austinrunner- amazing- thank you!!! I looked at a few of these possibilities but had not at all thought about many of them. This is awesome- thank you! FT is such an amazing resource- I appreciate it!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PatoLoco
Not missing anything, I'm aware it's booking a reward trip VERY late. What can I say, I got inspired by a great blog post I read and decided it was the perfect storm of events in my life in order to make this happen.

Under ideal circumstances, I would have been able to book months out but que sera, sera and here I am trying to figure out how to make a potentially great trip happen.

I got it resolved. We are now doing LAX-HNL-NRT-HKG-DPS and then we purchased Air Asia tickets for $50 each to get us to Bangkok. From there, we'll do the train gradually making our way to Singapore. And coming home it got creative, but connect back from the open jaw we left in Bali and go Singapore-Hong Kong-Tokyo-LAX. Avoiding SYD saved us over $125 in taxes and 20k miles (and cold weather) which made buying the Air Asia flight a no brainer.

I am in huge debt to some great people in reservations at AA that worked with me to make this happen and I am excited to see a part of the world I haven't been to yet!
Have you been in Australia before?

Weather is not bad in SYD - it only gets a bit chilly in MEL but it is still about mid 40 degree F. Cains is best visited in Winter due to the rainy season in Summer. (bad visibility with fresh water run off, humidity, heat, and oh, deadly jelly fish). Cains is in 70s to 80s in Jul/Aug fyi.

Unless you decide you would spring up a load of miles for a separate Australia trip in the future, the extra $125 and 20K seem to be money/miles well spent in my book. One of the better way to visit Australia is using the Explorer award so for a little extra miles over a separate Australia award one gets to do BOTH Asia and Australia.

SYD-HKG is served by both CX and QF. SYD-SIN and SYD-BKK are served by BA. I believe QF still serves SYD-SIN, CX may still flies the CNS-HKG route.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:39 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this great thread. Can someone verify this itinerary for me?

jfk-hkg(stop)-bkk(stop)-sin(stop)-dps(stop)-sin(conn)-maa(stop)-bom(stop)-amm(stop)-ist(stop)-vie(stop)-mad(stop)-cmn(stop)-mad(conn)-bos

According to Circle Mapper this comes out to 14 segments and 24121 miles.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mfr2000
Hi Everyone,

jfk-hkg(stop)-bkk(stop)-sin(stop)-dps(stop)-sin(conn)-maa(stop)-bom(stop)-amm(stop)-ist(stop)-vie(stop)-mad(stop)-cmn(stop)-mad(conn)-bos

Thanks!
You'd better double-check your carriers: I don't think there is direct service on oneworld metal between a few of those city pairs.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You'd better double-check your carriers: I don't think there is direct service on oneworld metal between a few of those city pairs.
Thanks. You are right I have to revise the India portion
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by mfr2000
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

I would double check that route. Best thing to do in my opinion is to call in to the award reservation folks at your carrier. If you get someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, hang up and call back. When you get a good agent, it can help straighten out any possible issues.

Best of luck- looks like a great trip!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA, United, Delta, Marriott, HH, Hyatt
One world / Explorer award YQ

So i had this itinerary on hold and asked them to send it to the rate desk for total taxes to book the RTW ticket.

fco-txl AB
txl-bcn AB
bcn-mad IB
mad-mia AA
mia-atl AA
atl-ord AA
ord-pek AA
pek-hnd JL
hnd-kix JL
kix-pvg JL
pvg-hkg KA
hkg-bkk CX
bkk-del CX

After 24 hours when i called :
I was quoted 578 USD for the award RTW ticket.
Surprised i asked the AA Agent to breakdown the taxes , and he said that all taxes were 270 USD but there were 2 fuel charges of 250 USD and 58 USD which is for trans pacific and trans Atlantic flights.

I told him to resend it to the rate desk and told to wait 24 hours now.
Can anyone please tell me , that has American airlines have started charging YQ on flights other than BA/IB.

What should i do regarding this information.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by maxcalls
I was quoted 578 USD for the award RTW ticket.
Surprised i asked the AA Agent to breakdown the taxes , and he said that all taxes were 270 USD but there were 2 fuel charges of 250 USD and 58 USD which is for trans pacific and trans Atlantic flights.

I told him to resend it to the rate desk and told to wait 24 hours now.
Because it's so complicated to calculate, odds are you end up getting a new tax amount. From past postings I've read, you get a new amount nearly every time. Let us know what happens!!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:05 am
Suspended

So i had this itinerary on hold and asked them to send it to the rate desk for total taxes to book the RTW ticket.

mad-mia AA
ord-pek AA

The agent is wrong. AA does not require customers redeeming AA miles to pay fuel surcharges on AA-operated flights.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
What are the odds the Explorer award will still be around for booking in November 2012? My wife and I are planning a 2-3 month around the world trip in Aug - Oct 2013. Based on where we have the points points, we are going to try and book the following C awards:

2x Explorer C Awards ~260KAA total
2x ANA C Awards ~230K ANA total
2x UA One Way F Awards ~70k UA total

I am starting to fund her AA account with credit card and hotel transfers, my ANA account with Amex transfers, and I have the UA points. My worry is that I fill up the AA account now, and 5 months from now at booking time the Explorer award is gone.

I know there are no fortune tellers, but any speculation or insight?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:49 pm

carrier imposed YR NOW charged on AA

Hi Austinrunner,

I know you have been guiding people on this forum , but regarding my concern on that itinerary yesterday .
I called aa and discussed the matter for 1 and a half hour and I was told that they have started charging YR NOT YQ From June 1 2012.

So my taxes were 275 usd
But I have to pay 53 usd and 250 usd trans atlantic and trans pacific YR.
I am really surprised as I talked to every person I could agent , supervisor , rate desk and told that they don't charge YQ OR YR On anything except BA OR IB .
But they said they would now charge carrier imposed fees on all flights.
Please help me regarding this ,, cause noone was informed and it's a shock to me.
I have one more day on hold before I get it ticketed , and I don't know what to do now. ,
Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Hi Austinrunner,

I know you have been guiding people on this forum , but regarding my concern on that itinerary yesterday .
I called aa and discussed the matter for 1 and a half hour and I was told that they have started charging YR NOT YQ From June 1 2012.

So my taxes were 275 usd
But I have to pay 53 usd and 250 usd trans atlantic and trans pacific YR.
I am really surprised as I talked to every person I could agent , supervisor , rate desk and told that they don't charge YQ OR YR On anything except BA OR IB .
But they said they would now charge carrier imposed fees on all flights.
Please help me regarding this ,, cause noone was informed and it's a shock to me.
I have one more day on hold before I get it ticketed , and I don't know what to do now. ,
Thanks
Have you tried doing a dummy award booking on aa.com for MAD-MIA and ORD-PEK to see if the website is now assessing fuel surcharges on those awards?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:04 pm

No I tried , there is no charges still , it shows 34 usd mad-Mia
And 2.50 usd Ord-pek...
The thing is , from what I heard , aa is not charging anything on their flight but is charging carrier imposed YR on the other carriers I have in my itinerary ..
I also told the supervisor , that no one was informed about it , and she was like if your state govt raised you taxes to 20 percent , does it has to tell you that they did it.
Man it was such a great conversation , that I thought I was not talking to customer rep but some big boss who just kept saying I can't do anything , pay or leave your ticket.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:05 pm

Also I researched , this YQ to YR MOVE was done not even on aa.com
But on AA.co.uk
Stating that YR will now replace YQ but it won't effect how surcharges were charged to the flights.
I am confused what to do now ..
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:10 pm

I guess the AA Is now following the footsteps of its guru British-airways .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.