Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, Co Gold
I am planning a trip in Business from London to Brazil and then London to NY for 4 people.

I am trying to avoid the high fees that comes with flying Business out of London, as well as trying to avoid the high fees with BA.

So far I have:

MAD-GRU - IB
GRU-LHR - BA
MAD-JFK- IB
JFK-MAD - IB

Problems:
  1. For some reason, although fees MAD-GRU is $60, and GRU-LHR is $40, MAD-GRU-LHR fees is $377!
  2. I need to fly three extra trips 1)LON-MAD 2)LHR-MAD 3)MAD-LHR
Old May 24, 2012, 10:27 am

Malaysia Airlines

I am planning on booking an explorer award for next 2013. I was wondering when would Malaysia airlines be joining one world alliance?
Old May 24, 2012, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Sometime before 1 January 2013, according to current public pronouncements.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:24 am

RTW Itinerary Check

New to this...haven't called airline yet as I wanted to check with forum to see if this itinerary works for the Explorer ticket. Hoping to do in economy class. RTW trip over the next year.

Great circle mapper says this is 16 segments and 44657 miles.

NYC-LHR-AMM-DXB-LHR (connect)-JNB-HKG-SIN-DPS-SYD-MEL-SYD-SCL-EZE-GYE-LIM-SFO (edited after austinrunner's comments below)

Does this work??? I know I'm not using all of my miles. Planning stopovers in all locations, except where connection noted. Just figured I'd catch budget airlines back to original destination where I would have otherwise travelled overland and used an open-jaw

Of course still need to check availability...

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by azgirlnnyc; May 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm
Old May 27, 2012, 1:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by azgirlnnyc
New to this...haven't called airline yet as I wanted to check with forum to see if this itinerary works for the Explorer ticket. Hoping to do in economy class. RTW trip over the next year.

Great circle mapper says this is 16 segments and 43890 miles.

NYC-LHR-AQJ-DXB-LHR (connect)-JNB-HKG-SIN-DPS-BME-SYD-SCL-EZE-UIO-CCS-MIA (connect)-SFO
How are you getting from LHR to AQJ -or- AQJ to DXB -or- DPS to BME -or- EZE to UIO -or- UIO to CCS? No oneworld airline flies those routes nonstop.

You will pay a rather large fuel surcharge for each BA flight you book.
Old May 27, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
RTW routing and timing questions

Looking at doing a RTW trip with the wife over the course of 9 months, but figured I'd check with folks here as a sanity check.

The routing I'm looking at is:

IAD-JFK-LHR-SIN-HKG-SHA/PEK (Open Jaw)-NRT-SYD-MEL-AKL-SCL-AEP-SAO-MIA-IAD

According to Great Circle Mapper the total distance is 34481, so we'd have enough to do it in 1st, though barely.

One thing that concerns me is the timing of the trip. We're trying to spend New Year's in London, so booking sooner than later seems like a good idea . I'm also trying to go through NYC, since AA's new 777's start flying direct to LHR in December, which would mean avoiding BA's fuel surcharges.

My question is this: if we're planning on ending the trip in August 2013 does it make sense to book the flights in August 2012 and book dummy dates for the last legs of the trip that I would change later (given the 335 day limit)? Or does it make more sense to wait until the beginning of October and book the whole trip with "real" dates so I only have to do it once, but risk having a hard time getting the flights for the beginning of the trip?

Thanks all! Hard to imagine less than a year ago that this would have even been possible. Fortunately I stumbled on this crazy forum.
Old May 27, 2012, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by wanderlustre
The routing I'm looking at is:

IAD-JFK-LHR-SIN-HKG-SHA/PEK (Open Jaw)-NRT-SYD-MEL-AKL-SCL-AEP-SAO-MIA-IAD

According to Great Circle Mapper the total distance is 34481, so we'd have enough to do it in 1st, though barely.
Be aware that a 1st class award will only get you better than a Business award on the following segments of your trip:
JFK-LHR-SIN and GRU-MIA
and maybe on SIN-HKG-SHA.
Also a minor point : you will need to do SCL-EZE-GRU as LAN no longer is allowed to fly AEP-GRU (and as you have one open jaw already you can't do SCL-AEP//EZE-GRU)
On a positive note you have overestimated your mileage ? by including the surface sector in your calculations.
You could actually stay under the 35000 miles and fly HKG-PEK//NRT-HKG-SYD giving yourself another 2 1st class sectors
Old May 27, 2012, 1:52 pm

RTW Itinerary Check p2

Thanks for pointing out - had been looking at AQB, but didn't realize it connected through Amman. Changed original thread to show new routing. So hard to think that far out!

And, as far as avoiding BA surcharges, was hoping to fly to LHR on AA. Is there a way to estimate tax for the Dubai-Johannesburg leg? If I just connect in LHR, would I still get hit with the taxes? Is there any other way to get to South Africa? Another thought was to have open jaw between Dubai and JNB and get there on my own using Star Alliance miles to hit Maldives, Seychelles and/or Mauritius. Assuming the open jaw there, how would I calculate the milage/segments? Do i understand rules correctly that I'd still burn one "segment", but would also be saving a segment and all those miles by not having to connect through London again?

Thanks again!

Last edited by azgirlnnyc; May 27, 2012 at 2:26 pm
Old May 27, 2012, 2:15 pm

Doesn't Royal Jordanian go from LHR to AQJ...and also from there there to Dubai?

Could also go through Amman, I suppose...?

Doesn't Qantas go from Bali to Broome?

And doesn't LAN go from BsAs to Quito (and from Quito to Caracas)?

What am I missing here?
The only one of those that has a direct Oneworld flight is EZE-UIO

LA 1442 EZE 5:10PM GYE 9:25PM 6h 15m Airbus A320
GYE 10:15PM UIO 11:10PM 0h 55m Airbus A320

All the others involve connecting flights and using two (at least) of your allotted segments eg UIO-CCS on LAN involves a connection in LIM
Old May 27, 2012, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Great circle mapper says this is 16 segments and 44657 miles.

NYC-LHR-AMM-DXB-LHR (connect)-JNB-HKG-SIN-DPS-SYD-MEL-SYD-SCL-EZE-GYE-LIM-SFO (edited after austinrunner's comments below)
You will be allowed to stopover in SYD only 1 time. Instead of DPS -> SYD -> MEL -> SYD, do
DPS -> MEL (QF codeshare on JQ-operated flight) -> SYD (QF).

Please don't change your prior posts. Just add a new one.

And, as far as avoiding BA surcharges, was hoping to fly to LHR on AA. Is there a way to estimate tax for the Dubai-Johannesburg leg? If I just connect in LHR, would I still get hit with the taxes? Is there any other way to get to South Africa? Another thought was to have open jaw between Dubai and JNB and get there on my own using Star Alliance miles to hit Maldives, Seychelles and/or Mauritius. Assuming the open jaw there, how would I calculate the milage/segments? Do i understand rules correctly that I'd still burn one "segment", but would also be saving a segment and all those miles by not having to connect through London again?
The first post in this thread has lots of valuable information, including how to estimate taxes and a great desktop program that will let you visualize all flights worldwide.

If you want to avoid LHR the second time and avoid BA's fuel surcharge, you could do this for around 1,300 more flown miles: DXB -> HKG -> JNB -> HKG.

If you have an open jaw in the middle of your itinerary, then you will have to end it in NYC. You cannot have more than 1 open jaw. An open jaw in the middle counts as a segment.

Last edited by Austinrunner; May 27, 2012 at 5:07 pm
Old May 28, 2012, 12:59 am

RTW itinerary - p3

I'm still a little confused about how open jaw miles are calculated.

If I do the following, for example: LHR-DXB (open jaw)- JNB - HKG, does DXB-JNB count as one segment, even if I go "overland", getting from Dubai to J'burg via other airlines? And, do the miles in between cities count...or not?

Sorry - I know this is probably very basic, but confused on rules despite reading this entire thread.

Thanks again!
Old May 28, 2012, 2:13 am
Suspended

You don't need to read the entire thread. Just read post #1. The issue you're asking about is covered clearly there. An open jaw counts as a segment. But the miles of the open jaw don't count.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
@3544quebec

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'll change the Asian & South American portions of my trip around. Between the need for another open-jaw, and Sao Paulo's reputation looks like we'll head to Ecuador instead to hit up the Galapagos.

On a side note, rather peculiar that there are no 1st class flights between NRT-SYD, AKL-SCL. Feels like someone could win a lot more business that way!
Old May 28, 2012, 5:11 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
You will be allowed to stopover in SYD only 1 time. Instead of DPS -> SYD -> MEL -> SYD, do
DPS -> MEL (QF codeshare on JQ-operated flight) -> SYD (QF).
I understood you cannot have OW Awards on a JQ operated Flight it has to be QF Metal please correct me if I am wrong.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:49 am
Suspended

A QF flight number on a JQ-operated flight is the one exception to the Explorer rule against codeshares. This is covered in the first post of this thread (and at the website linked in my signature), along with the appropriate links.

Last edited by Austinrunner; May 28, 2012 at 7:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.