Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 11:43 pm

RTW itinerary take 3

Assuming there are seats for my dates, would this itinerary work?

BCN-LHR-NYC-AMM-DXB-HKG-JNB-HKG-MEL-SYD-SIN-DPS-NRT-GUM-NRT-BCN

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2012, 11:53 pm
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Are one-way awards allowed ?

I am trying to book a oneworld explorer award LAX-TXL-DME-TJM (in Russia). There is availability but the agent told me she cannot book it because one-way oneworld awards are not allowed. Does anybody know if this is true ?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:02 am

Airline Route Map

Tried downloading the file from the link on first page of thread, but nothing opens except a file with characters that are not English (and saying file is "locked") Any helpful hints on getting this to work? Thanks again!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by azgirlnnyc
BCN-LHR-NYC-AMM-DXB-HKG-JNB-HKG-MEL-SYD-SIN-DPS-NRT-GUM-NRT-BCN
What are the airlines for each segment? Which are stopovers and which are connections? How long are you taking to complete the itinerary? Have you studied the rules in the first post of this thread (or at the link in my signature)?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BAK
There is availability but the agent told me she cannot book it because one-way oneworld awards are not allowed.
There is no such rule. Also, they're called Explorer awards now, not oneworld awards.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:27 am
Suspended

Tried downloading the file from the link on first page of thread, but nothing opens except a file with characters that are not English (and saying file is "locked") Any helpful hints on getting this to work?
It's a software program that you have to install on your computer. It's not a regular file. Also, the program won't work on Macs.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:12 pm

Thanks to Austin Runner for this great thread and blog post. 2 questions.

1: Can I choose my seats on anything other than the AA segments?
2: As I have booked a Business award, will I have access to business class lounges while I am flying Air Berlin economy segments? Even if these segments are not part of an immediate long-haul connecting flight?

From http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/
"Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status... Customers flying in Economy class on the domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling the longhaul segment."

Just to note: I booked in business with around 24,200 miles length.
tol-ord-mad-amm-del-bkk-hkg-pek-oms(connection)-dme-txl-krk-txl-bcn, (open jaw),mad-ord-tol. Fees were $392 + $25 booking fee.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:18 pm

rtw take 3

is there any other tool to look up route maps? I've been on all the partner maps, but when I finally go to check actual routing, it seems like connections pop up everywhere. Am pretty flexible on my itinerary, but seems to completely change every time I redo it! Any suggestions?

Can leave from US or Europe. Plan on traveling for 12 months.

Essentially want to go to Middle East for fall, South Africa/Vic Falls in November, Dec-May in Asia, except for side trip in January to Mel and Syd

Latest attempt looks like this, all with stopovers unless mentioned:

LHR(aa)-NYC(aa)-AMM(rj)-DXB(rj) (open jaw) JNB-VFA(ba)-JNB(cp)-HKG(cp)-BKK(cp)-MEL(qf)-SYD(qf)-SIN(qf)-HKG(cp) (connection)-DPS(cp)-HKG (cp)(connection)-NRT(jal)-LHR(jal)

Thanks again.

I'm open to better routing suggestions, esp if I can go from the US to start the trip. For example, ORD-LHR...then the rest, but then I'd be using my open jaw and will max out on miles flown...

Such a puzzle to figure out a year in advance!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
So one-way awards are alowed?

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
There is no such rule. Also, they're called Explorer awards now, not oneworld awards.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:48 pm

rtw take 4

Further to thread above, I will be doing several side trips from these locations overland, so if there is a routing that incorporates more expensive flights within this ticket instead of less expensive legs that would make more sense to purchase, would be nice to know so I can plan accordingly.

I know this is a lot to ask. I've spent countless hours trying to figure this out on my own, and on hold with AA and my travel date is drawing very close!

Thanks again!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:59 pm
Suspended

is there any other tool to look up route maps? I've been on all the partner maps, but when I finally go to check actual routing, it seems like connections pop up everywhere. Am pretty flexible on my itinerary, but seems to completely change every time I redo it! Any suggestions?

Can leave from US or Europe. Plan on traveling for 12 months.

Essentially want to go to Middle East for fall, South Africa/Vic Falls in November, Dec-May in Asia, except for side trip in January to Mel and Syd

Latest attempt looks like this, all with stopovers unless mentioned:

LHR(aa)-NYC(aa)-AMM(rj)-DXB(rj) (open jaw) JNB-VFA(ba)-JNB(cp)-HKG(cp)-BKK(cp)-MEL(qf)-SYD(qf)-SIN(qf)-HKG(cp) (connection)-DPS(cp)-HKG (cp)(connection)-NRT(jal)-LHR(jal)

I'm open to better routing suggestions, esp if I can go from the US to start the trip. For example, ORD-LHR...then the rest, but then I'd be using my open jaw and will max out on miles flown...
(1) Airline Route Mapper is the best mapper.

(2) When did CX start offering VFA -> JNB on a CX aircraft?

(3) Using an Explorer award for a year-long trip will be very difficult to book because: (a) all flights on the award must be completed within one year of the original ticketing date; and (b) no flight can be booked more than 330 days in advance.

(4) To me, HKG -> BKK (CX) -> SIN (CX) -> DPS (QF codeshare on JQ flight) -> MEL (QF codeshare on JQ flight) -> SYD (QF) -> NRT (QF or JL) -> LHR (JL) makes more sense. But maybe that's just me.

Further to thread above, I will be doing several side trips from these locations overland, so if there is a routing that incorporates more expensive flights within this ticket instead of less expensive legs that would make more sense to purchase, would be nice to know so I can plan accordingly.
We can't help unless we know which locations you are going overland.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jun 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beofotch
So one-way awards are allowed?
An Explorer award can begin anywhere and end anywhere. Different continent. Same continent. Different airport. Same airport. You choose. But there are lots of rules to comply with. Refer to the first post in this thread (or the link in my signature).
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:58 pm

(1) I have a Mac, which explains whey the mapper doesn't work.
(2) Sorry - VFA-JNB would be on BA, not CF
(3) I plan on doing this all in a year, believe it or not.
(4) The routing I'd used accounts for me being in SE Asia for December through mid-Jan (not sure where exactly overland yet, but can get back to whatever airport I need to) , but then I must fly to Melbourne for the Australian Open in mid-Jan plus Sydney after. Going through Bali seems like a good idea after SYD, except I hear the weather is nightmarish until about April/May, so am routing back up to SE Asia first and then going back down to Bali near end of trip.

Can't get there truly overland, but would like to add Cebu and Guam/Micronesia somewhere. Not sure if makes sense to buy flights locally, or try to add into this ticket?

Another itinerary I was toying with which accomplishes similar goals but gets me around Europe this summer (assuming availability):

FCO-BCN (IB)
BCN-LHR(IB)-NYC (BA)
NYC-AMM (RJ)
AMM-DXB (RJ)
DXB-AMM-BKK (RJ)
BKK-HKG (CX)
HKG-JNB (CX)
JNB-HKG (CX)
HKG-MEL (QF)
MEL-SYD (QF)
SYD-SIN (QF)
SIN-NRT (JL)
NRT-LHR(JL)

Circle mapper says 15 segments and 49,829 miles. What do you think?

Last edited by azgirlnnyc; Jun 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"FCO-BCN (IB)"

IB does not fly this route on its own metal. The route is operated by Vueling, which cannot be used on AA awards.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
(1) I have a Mac, which explains whey the mapper doesn't work.
For One World airlines, the following works just fine on Macs. You don't need to install anything on your computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.