FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:59 pm
Austinrunner
Suspended

Originally Posted by azgirlnnyc
is there any other tool to look up route maps? I've been on all the partner maps, but when I finally go to check actual routing, it seems like connections pop up everywhere. Am pretty flexible on my itinerary, but seems to completely change every time I redo it! Any suggestions?

Can leave from US or Europe. Plan on traveling for 12 months.

Essentially want to go to Middle East for fall, South Africa/Vic Falls in November, Dec-May in Asia, except for side trip in January to Mel and Syd

Latest attempt looks like this, all with stopovers unless mentioned:

LHR(aa)-NYC(aa)-AMM(rj)-DXB(rj) (open jaw) JNB-VFA(ba)-JNB(cp)-HKG(cp)-BKK(cp)-MEL(qf)-SYD(qf)-SIN(qf)-HKG(cp) (connection)-DPS(cp)-HKG (cp)(connection)-NRT(jal)-LHR(jal)

I'm open to better routing suggestions, esp if I can go from the US to start the trip. For example, ORD-LHR...then the rest, but then I'd be using my open jaw and will max out on miles flown...
(1) Airline Route Mapper is the best mapper.

(2) When did CX start offering VFA -> JNB on a CX aircraft?

(3) Using an Explorer award for a year-long trip will be very difficult to book because: (a) all flights on the award must be completed within one year of the original ticketing date; and (b) no flight can be booked more than 330 days in advance.

(4) To me, HKG -> BKK (CX) -> SIN (CX) -> DPS (QF codeshare on JQ flight) -> MEL (QF codeshare on JQ flight) -> SYD (QF) -> NRT (QF or JL) -> LHR (JL) makes more sense. But maybe that's just me.

Originally Posted by azgirlnnyc
Further to thread above, I will be doing several side trips from these locations overland, so if there is a routing that incorporates more expensive flights within this ticket instead of less expensive legs that would make more sense to purchase, would be nice to know so I can plan accordingly.
We can't help unless we know which locations you are going overland.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jun 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm