Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by kebosabi
If something comes up where you have to stay in BKK longer before going to HKG, you can change the date to leave two weeks later, but there has to be opening on CX. If there is no opening on CX but you find one on RJ however, you cannot change your flight the RJ BKK-HKG flight.
This is no longer true. Oneworld partners can be added and removed from awards.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Not Explorer awards.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Meyers
I am working with an Award Booking service now to get it all planned out. However between the two of us we still ran into something we weren't sure about.

When booking a OneWorld award, are dates flexible? Meaning if flying to Sydney, then Bangkok, then Hong Kong, but I really hate it in Sydney and want to leave a week sooner, and really love Bangkok and want to stay two weeks longer, can I change the dates without enormous fees? Or at all? Is it only the route and locations I can not change?
I am shocked that a service charging for booking your award does not know the rules on this.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sukn
This is no longer true. Oneworld partners can be added and removed from awards.
You are thinking about OneWorld and Other Airlines award. (the old All Partners award).

This is Explorer award which operates on a totally different set of rules.

Explorer award once ticketed, cannot be changed on anything other than dates and flights of the same carrier. That is pretty much about IT.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zznoname
Up to you. I'm sorry for doing something wrong.

But.. just to say.. if you are doing an Explorer AAward Around the world, RJ could, would probably come into play. Disseminating some OW routes here would not hurt and could provide a quick reference.

Yes, the OW airlines have their own space, but some routes are frequently used with Explorer AAwards and people might not or could be encouraged to, share their airline experiences and routing options between cities in Explorer AAward context.

Meaning.. the HKG to AMM route mentioned above. "For some" (still can't find the links) it's a big difference if they take CX or RJ. The reviews on that could be helpful.

That stuff I had to research myself so thought it would be good to share the results.
I DO appreciate reading your feedback on RJ because RJ often is being mentioned as an option in some routing.

Your feedback would definitely make me think twice before using RJ in my routing.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:03 pm

Hi there, longtime lurker, firstime poster. I want to thank everyone who has helped make this thread an invaluable resource.

I currently have the following itinerary on hold...

JFK -> MAD (IB - business)
MAD -> VIE (IB - business)
VIE-> AMM (RJ - business)
AMM -> DEL (RJ - business)
DEL -> BKK (CX - business)
BKK-> SIN (CX - business)
SIN -> BNE (QF - business)
BNE -> CNS (QF - business)
CNS -> SYD (QF - business)
SYD -> HNL (QF - economy)
HNL -> LAX (AA - economy)

I was really happy to get all this in at 24,930 miles. My question though, is they are quoting me taxes of $934 pp and I'm not sure if this is correct or not. Using ITAmatrix, I was expecting something closer to the $500-600 range. I tried to get some answer as to the highest charges from the rates desk, but the agents today are currently having trouble getting through to them.

The two IB flights on ITA matrix do show YQ surcharges of $403 and $51 which would account for my discrepancy. From previous posts I was under the impression that IB YQ has some sort of lower limit - does a $400 charge for an IB transatlantic flight seem normal?

Does these taxes look about right? Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Unless things have changed recently, the maximum IB surcharge is 30 euros.

Because you have included IB in your itinerary, certain US government taxes (etc.) are due that wouldn't otherwise be charged.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scottcnyc
I currently have the following itinerary on hold...

JFK -> MAD (IB - business)
MAD -> VIE (IB - business)
VIE-> AMM (RJ - business)
AMM -> DEL (RJ - business)
DEL -> BKK (CX - business)
BKK-> SIN (CX - business)
SIN -> BNE (QF - business)
BNE -> CNS (QF - business)
CNS -> SYD (QF - business)
SYD -> HNL (QF - economy)
HNL -> LAX (AA - economy)

I was really happy to get all this in at 24,930 miles. My question though, is they are quoting me taxes of $934 pp and I'm not sure if this is correct or not. Using ITAmatrix, I was expecting something closer to the $500-600 range.
Excluding the IB surcharges:

US International Departure Tax (US) $16.70
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
Spanish Airport Services Charge (JD) $18.40
Spanish Security Tax (QV) $4.70
Austrian Passenger Service Charge (ZY) $21.90
Austrian Passenger Security Charge (AT) $9.40
Austrian Air Transport Levy (QD) $9.80
Jordan Embarkation Tax (HQ) $56.50
Jordan Passenger Terminal Use Fee (NH) $8.50
Indian User Development Fee (IN) $15.53
Indian Service Tax (JN) $21.70
Indian Passenger Service Fee (WO) $3.65
Indian Development Fee (YM) $26.40
Indian User Development Fee (IN) $18.75
Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TS) $22.20
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $3.50
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $26.90
Singapore Passenger Service Charge (SG) $11.20
Singapore Aviation Levy (OP) $4.90 http://www.caas.gov.sg/caasWeb2010/e...n/2.1.1.11.pdf
Singapore Passenger Security Service Charge (OO) $6.40
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $18.30
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $17.70
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $11.60
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
Australian Passenger Movement Charge (AU) $57.80 http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...-March2009.pdf
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $27.20
US International Arrival Tax (US) $16.70
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
US Flight Segment Tax (ZP) $3.80
US Alaska/Hawaii Departure Tax (US) $8.40
TOTAL PER PERSON: $500.03

Last edited by Austinrunner; Aug 3, 2012 at 12:37 am
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:15 pm

Woohoo! Thanks so much Austinrunner!

Just spent the last 3 hours on the phone but finally got things straightened out with the IB YQ surcharges. Had you not replied I probably wouldn't have been as confident pushing. The first two agents I talked to weren't helpful at all and acted annoyed as they reiterated the only thing they could do is resubmit the request to the rate desk, but advised that I shouldn't expect any changes. Finally on the 3rd try we got an agent who took one look and agreed that it didn't look right. So, in the end the whole itinerary's taxes and surcharges came out to $517. Which is actually a little lower than I was anticipating. So I didn't hesitate to get that puppy ticketed. Hopefully there won't be any discrepancies on the credit card.

I otherwise probably would have sacrificed IB business class for an AA economy, or perhaps just caved in on the taxes.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:25 am
Suspended

You're welcome! Glad to have been of service.

I suspect that a couple of the non-US taxes (etc.) I listed are not due on award tickets. But because I don't know which, I included them all.

AA frequently makes errors on taxes (etc.), as reported in this forum, even when the exemptions are clear.

Plus, I'm not convinced they're up-to-date on the exemptions for non-US taxes (etc.). Those are very hard to research with just online sources.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:23 am

"perfunctory disclaimers, apologies, and thank-yous"

Am I correct that, so long as you observe all other applicable rules (including stopover and connection rules), you may stop as many times as you want in a single continent?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Yes, you are correct (subject to the 16-segment, and one open-jaw maximum, in addition to all the other rules).
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:51 pm

Hey guys,

I just wanted to post a follow up to my itinerary. Originally the last two legs of my trip involved going from SYD->HNL->LAX. The SYD->HNL leg was on a QF codeshare operated by Jetstar. There are QF metal flights that do this route, but nothing available at the time.

None of the agents we worked with in planning the itinerary brought up any issue with this leg. It wasn't until the day after we sent the itinerary off for ticketing did AA contact us to say it wasn't allowed. After trying multiple times with different agents the final explanation we received was that after ticketing AA sends each leg off to the respective carriers for approval, and Jetstar denied the award ticket which was beyond AA's control. One agent believed that QF codeshares operated by jetstar are fine on all-partner awards and explorer tickets that are paid for, but couldn't cite any actual rule.

In the end we had to take out the HNL portion (sigh... first world problems I suppose.) Which led to the rates desk messing up our taxes again, but the second time around it was a little easier to fix.

Just a data point showing a QF/Jetstar flight not working on the explorer award ticket.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scottcnyc
The SYD->HNL leg was on a QF codeshare operated by Jetstar. ... Jetstar denied the award ticket which was beyond AA's control.
I doubt that JQ denied it (or that the segment was even sent to Jetstar). If any airline did, it was QF.

Others have reported being allowed to book QF-marketed flights on JQ metal for Explorer awards.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:08 am

Advice on South American trip

Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip for late 2013 that takes me from New York > Quito, Ecuador (tentative) > Buenos Aires, Argentina > Ushuaia, Argentina

And then on the way back: Puntas Arenas, Chile > Santiago, Chile > Lima, Peru > Cusco, Peru > New York

I love the idea of the Explorer Award, but I don't see any way to get two different non-AA airlines involved. Everything would be AA or LAN Airlines. I have a few questions: Is there a way to get a second airline on this itinerary? Is the Explorer Award the best way to do this trip? The All Partner Award on AA does not allow stopovers so I don't think that would work for me. Is it possible that using BA miles for every leg is the best solution?

Also I realized that Oneworld flights to Ushuaia are few and far between and might have to do a Delta Skymiles redemption for Aerolineas Argentinas. Lastly, any must see spots in South America that I'm missing?

I love seeing FTers help out new guys like me. Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.