Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:09 pm

i was told " the fine print doesnt include us air" and "when the award was created years ago it didn't include us air" Basically i was told a load of bull. I did mention that they are now an affiliate.

They also still refusing to extend the hold so i can adjust.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Well, when the award was created years ago, it also did not include Qatar or Malaysia, but then they joined oneworld.

Did you speak with a supervisor?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:08 pm

I posted my response in the other thread where this was asked: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22665487-post2229.html
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mich183902
i was told " the fine print doesnt include us air" and "when the award was created years ago it didn't include us air" Basically i was told a load of bull. I did mention that they are now an affiliate.

They also still refusing to extend the hold so i can adjust.
It's absolute rubbish, AFAIK; I hope this gets straightened out soon. US Airways is now a oneworld affiliate of American Airlines, as much as any other affiliate (e.g. Dragon Air, Niki, American Eagle or American Connection.

As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by jwbcwhit87
Thanks everyone for the awesome responses, after reading 3-4 responses, I learned more about my particular routing then I had previously understood after a few hours/days of research And yes, I am still figuring out how to post cool responses (tagging, bolded name responses, etc) like the pro's above me, but I digress.

1. @Guv1976, yes my home airport is served by AA, so that makes it much simpler to just start my trip from my home city, vs positioning to ORD. Thanks for clearing that up! I will remember to include all segments for my total trip. After some of the other responses, and realities of the places I want to visit, it looks like I will be going up to the high threshold (150k AA miles for 25k miles flown in biz class). As for the "open jaw" note, still not sure if I will be using one on this trip, I will know more once I get a better grasp on what open jaws really are

2. @BOSman, thanks so much for the tips! Your routing actually looks better then mine ( ORD-PEK-HKG-AKL-SYD-LAX). I am open to flying CX from ORD-HKG-PEK, just for the sole purpose of getting on my first ever biz class seat in my life! I am able to flip all of the countries into any order that creates the best routing, so very flexible there. Also, thanks for the tips on getting back to the US from Australia.

3. @PandaPerth, thanks for the detailed explanation, it is much appreciated. I agree with your statement up bumping up to the next threshold for an additional 5k miles flown, for a small 20k AA miles. This now seems like a complete no-brainer considering I can start/end in my home city, without positioning to larger cities. You mentioned looking for 1 seat and being flexible "shouldnt" be to difficult, does upping that to two people making it out of this world more difficult, or should I just start looking now for a trip 1 year from now?

Thanks everyone for your awesome help!
Well, AA flies ORD-PEK nonstop. It won't be quite as nice as CX (ok, it will not be as nice overall, sorry AA ), but it is one less stop and fewer flown miles. Might depend on your routing as to whether or not you want to bump up or not.

Two seats TPAC on QF/Qantas is difficult more than around 330 days in advance. 1 seat is possible if flexible and willing to fly the 747 instead of the newer A380. Snob alert, I've only flown A380 F on QF so I can't give personal advice on which one to pick . Both hard products are similar, but there is a certain "cool factor" to being upstairs in the 747. You'll be upstairs on the A380 as well though if you choose that plane.

Also, I've rarely found AKL-SYD on LA to be available as an award. The flight also departs AKL at the unfriendly time of 6AM. In addition, the flight is canceled relatively frequently. So, I would not personally bother looking for that, and would take QF trans-Tasman. Availability on this route is usually quite good.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:26 am

They will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Terrible news indeed, though I won't jump to the conclusion that these would last forever sans merger. Maybe they can get rid of the "no third region" routing restriction...

To a constructive question: anyone have any indication (or experience) on whether we should still be able to change dates on existing awards? That's one of the reasons I booked one, and would very much not like to be locked into the dates I have right now.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by sk3x
To a constructive question: anyone have any indication (or experience) on whether we should still be able to change dates on existing awards? That's one of the reasons I booked one, and would very much not like to be locked into the dates I have right now.
I don't know. But, insofar as agents have any discretion on this, you probably have a better chance of getting the benefit of it if you ring up soon.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sk3x
Terrible news indeed, though I won't jump to the conclusion that these would last forever sans merger. Maybe they can get rid of the "no third region" routing restriction...

Good question. If this worked like regular paid tickets, changing the date on a ticket before flying even a segment on the ticket could be used to reprice the ticket. That said, I'm aware of no AA history where that has been deliberate practice on an AA-issued award ticket of this sort where only time/date was voluntarily changed.

Go ahead and try, if you have one of these tickets, to see what happens.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I don't see how they could possibly prohibit date changes to existing award tickets that have already been purchased and ticketed. There are others here far more qualified than me to answer this, but wouldn't it be a DOT issue if they changed the terms or a ticketed sale after the fact?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by njvandy
I don't see how they could possibly prohibit date changes to existing award tickets that have already been purchased and ticketed. There are others here far more qualified than me to answer this, but wouldn't it be a DOT issue if they changed the terms or a ticketed sale after the fact?
That was my initial instinct, but it seems like it will no doubt get harder, even if allowed. Unfortunately, I don't know my exact dates, so for now will hope that my preliminary ones hold up and then fight the good fight as necessary down the road.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Originally Posted by jmw
Almost none of us would ever pay those exorbitant amounts for those tickets. So 17.5 cents is just tooth fairy pixie dust material. If we quoted valuations like that, I can book a boring economy class ticket from SFO to JFK months in advance for 12.5k and $2.50 in taxes and then look up the price 60 minutes before the flight to get an inflated number that will make me feel like I saved a million bucks. Even 4.4 cents sounds way inflated.
When you've (not your employer) paid $25k cash for a trip like that, then you can use those valuations.
Yeah, I agree the 17 cent (or 8.8 in coach) valuation is way over inflated and nobody would realistically pay that. So those numbers are just for fun and that's why I did the other calculations, too. But I will stick pretty close by my lower valuations (8cents/mile bus., 4.4 c/mile coach) with my "take the lowest fare offered on that route on orbitz for that day" methodology. I'm sure it would come up a bit different if I priced it today or 2 months from now. If I were paying cash, I would be a little more careful and wait for sales on key routes, etc., but I am pretty sure I'm in the ballpark.

But mostly I'm breathing a sigh of relief that my 331 days out window was a week ago and not after today!!!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:45 pm

I had an Explorer Award on hold that I tried to pay for last Saturday April 5. On April 6 I noticed that something was wrong with the ticket issuance so I called AA in the morning and was told that there was a pricing problem and it usually takes 24 hrs to resolve. I just called to find out the status and was told the Explorer awards have been discontinued.

NEVER DID EITHER OF THE FIRST 2 AGENTS ON APRIL 5 OR 6 TELL ME THESE AWARDS WERE BEING ELIMINATED TODAY!

Am I up the creek?

Last edited by povertyjetset; Apr 8, 2014 at 3:46 pm Reason: Forgot to add that on April 6 the agent redid the award with an exp. date of 4/12/14
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Moderator Note

Some posts regarding the elimination of these awards have been moved to this thread:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

Some posts that are purely related to how to react to these devaluations have been moved to this thread:
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Please ensure that you read the wiki post and only post in this thread if you are posting about existing ticketed oneworld Explorer awards. Post in the most appropriate of the two above threads if your comments relate to the elimination of the award as a redemption option.

~Moderator
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Could someone briefly explain what are AA Explorer awards (or were) please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.