Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 1:17 pm

I'm going to be starting an explorer award soon. My first flight is TATL JFK-MAD on AA (if that matters?)

I'll have some segments on BA, IB, CX, and JL. My question is whether AA's carry on policy applies to all my segments or if I will be subject to CX's 10kg (I'm travelling with only a carry on, which right now is weighing in at around 12kg) carry on limit. I'd rather not have to check a bag if I don't have to.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
The operating carrier's baggage policy will apply.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:21 am

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; May 29, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old May 30, 2014, 11:50 am

Wow! I just heard about this change today. I guess I'm lucky that I got in under the wire - I saved my miles for years to get my RTW ticket!

I'm leaving three weeks from today, flying PDX-DFW-LAX-BNE-AKL-HKG-NRT-DEL-HEL-WAW-LHR-CAI-LHR-EZE-LIM-LAX-LAS.

I called in to make sure that my tickets were still showing as valid, and the Platinum desk said that everything was still ticketed and showing fine, although one of my layovers grew by about 6 hours due to a big flight time change.

Here's the thing - I still have a PDF showing that I was ticketed on October 8th, 2013, and paid $925 in fares, taxes, and fees for the ticket.

When I go out to AA.com today, though, the itinerary shows as being ticketed on May 8th, 2014 - well AFTER they stopped offering these tickets. It also has zeros in all the 'amount paid' fields.

Should I worry? Do anything?
Old May 30, 2014, 11:58 am

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname
If the LO had a flight number change, AA would re-ticket and you'd get a new ticket number.

Never could figure out the money column, but it makes sense to somebody
Okay, thanks. LO is 'local operator,' right? There was a flight number change on one of the LAN airlines flights.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:37 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:22 am

Sure wish someone could help explain why JL Domestic J has a code listed in the Explorer AAward Wiki:

Business class:

U on all oneworld airlines except JL (domestic).

D on JL (domestic).

But AA has said, JL domestic AAward tickets can not be ticketed in J:

"JL domestic segments (wholly within Japan) flown in conjunction with all international award travel (including Business and First Class awards), must be booked in Economy class (S/T)."
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Explorer Award Itinerary Changes

I managed to snag an Explorer Award to and around Europe before they were vaporized.

I am wondering if chages are permitted in dates of travel on the various legs. I might want to stay in one city longer or shorter but keep the same cities in the same order. Before I call, I wanted to get some comments from those who have experience with these tickets.

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by X3Skier
I managed to snag an Explorer Award to and around Europe before they were vaporized.

I am wondering if chages are permitted in dates of travel on the various legs. I might want to stay in one city longer or shorter but keep the same cities in the same order. Before I call, I wanted to get some comments from those who have experience with these tickets.

Thanks
Yes, this should be permitted. According to posts from several weeks ago, date changes were permitted for existing reservations (in line with the original rules); however, I do not have personal experience with this.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by X3Skier

Thanks
Yes, date changes are permitted with the Explorer Award. I was able to make changes just last week.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:18 am

Ugh! I've just started out on my big RTW explorer award trip, and I've made it to Australia.

But I've just learned that my research failed me. I'm supposed to go to India in a couple of weeks, and I should have applied for a tourist visa before I left. I thought I could get one an arrival, but that program doesn't start until October. I don't think I'll be allowed into the country.

That portion of the trip is NRT-DEL-HEL. After reading this thread, it sounds like I might be able to change the dates of that routing so that DEL is just a connection, not a stopover. That's probably best-case scenario, right now, unfortunately.

But I still wanted to ask - what happens if I just miss those segments? If I find my own way from NRT to DEL, can I pick up the rest of my trip, there? Or would missing a segment cause the rest of the RTW ticket to get canceled?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:23 pm

Whew! After a hard night's Googling and brainstorming, I think I've found the best solution.

I'll keep my RTW ticket unchanged, and still fly through DEL - but I've booked connecting tickets to Kathmandu, so that I'll never need to exit the international terminal or enter India or pass through immigration.

I wish the KTM flights were on the same PNR, but I think I'll be able to board the JAL plane in Narita by showing my connecting flight information on Air India. The internet says it should work, and I've sent an e-mail to JAL asking them to confirm that. The internet also says I should be able to get my bags transferred without needing a visa or exiting the terminal - I'll still cross my fingers, though.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Thanks to sk3x and thqu60.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: Southwest A-list, Hiltonhonors Diamond, Delta, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum,
Anyone been able to changing routing on existing awards? I know you couldn't previously but didn't know if anyone has had success since the elimination of the award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.