Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 2:06 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Old May 9, 2014, 2:51 pm

On the phone bumping some flights for an award I'm in the middle of. Has anyone ever had success bumping flights out beyond the 1 year from the date of original ticketing window?

It seems like AA has reticketed my itinerary previously so even though the original date is in June the ticketed date on AA.com when searching by record locator number is in October...
Old May 15, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: I'm all in on Ultimate Rewards
changing past 1 year?

Hi All-

Anyone have any luck changing dates and times after an award begins to dates later than the 1 year mark? I've helped a friend book a ticket and a family emergency has come up and he wants to continue his trip a month or two past the 1 year deadline. Anyone have any luck with this?
Old May 16, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Exp, HH Diamond
Routing change? Or not?

AA is charging me $150 reinstatement fee when I propose to change dates on my DFW-SYD. To be honest/forthcoming, my original AAward went via LAX (only route available), when DFW-SYD direct came up on my new date I jumped at it.

Is this truly a route change? Does AA take it that literal? Just not seeing the logic here as my routing, in my eyes, is DFW-SYD.

Am I being ripped off?

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What airlines were used on the old award itinerary?
Old May 16, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp, HH Diamond
DFW-LAX on AA, LAX-SYD on QF, and other unchanged segments on QF and QR. I should also mention that this was an explorer award if that makes a difference.

Thx!
Old May 16, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I should also mention that this was an explorer award if that makes a difference."

That makes all the difference in the world. Voluntary routing changes are not permitted on an Explorer award; only date/time changes are. Given that AA has discontinued the Explorer award, you're lucky that they permitted you to change the routing even with payment of the re-deposit/re-claim fee.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
I would like to know this also...Anyone?
Datapoint:

Was allowed to change dates several times last week. Was actually easier than when award was not cancelled. Rep will immediately transfer me to someone who knew this award and then it was very smooth sailing.

They were very strict about not allowing travel on dates that went beyond original one year expiry (someone else has asked this question)

BTW, I was able to change connection into stopover (something originally told that was not possible)

Does anyone kknow when this award was originally created? which year?
Old May 19, 2014, 4:31 pm

Hey guys, I'm kind of new to AA as I have always flown United or Alaska. I have ~140k AA miles I'm looking to burn though. Does AA really not allow any stopovers like United does? I was hoping to book a USA>MEX>Carribean>USA flight but am getting dinged ~60k miles round trip, which is more miles than I'd like to spend. With United I am able to book round trip to South America (a further distance) with a stopover in Mexico for 50k miles (a lower cost)... Are there any available resources or articles that are up-to-date regarding all of the current booking rules and/or new tricks?
Old May 19, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by llbad
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to AA as I have always flown United or Alaska. I have ~140k AA miles I'm looking to burn though. Does AA really not allow any stopovers like United does? I was hoping to book a USA>MEX>Carribean>USA flight but am getting dinged ~60k miles round trip, which is more miles than I'd like to spend. With United I am able to book round trip to South America (a further distance) with a stopover in Mexico for 50k miles (a lower cost)... Are there any available resources or articles that are up-to-date regarding all of the current booking rules and/or new tricks?
Actually AA awards (for now) generally require fewer miles than UA awards (plus partner awards are the same as AA metal - not the case with UA).
There is, however, one caveat - NO stopovers are allowed.
Take your poison - unfortunately, you can't have it all.
If you want to burn your AA miles, use them for a CX/JL F RT to Asia or EY/QR trip to Middle East
Old May 19, 2014, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Actually AA awards (for now) generally require fewer miles than UA awards (plus partner awards are the same as AA metal - not the case with UA).
There is, however, one caveat - NO stopovers are allowed.
Take your poison - unfortunately, you can't have it all.
If you want to burn your AA miles, use them for a CX/JL F RT to Asia or EY/QR trip to Middle East
Thanks! One more thing - what's with the award bookings sometimes showing 0k mile cost for some dates on the flexible dates calendar? When you get to the next screen it fills in a rate, but I find it strange.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by llbad
Thanks! One more thing - what's with the award bookings sometimes showing 0k mile cost for some dates on the flexible dates calendar? When you get to the next screen it fills in a rate, but I find it strange.
That's the other caveat - the booking engine on UA is much better, showing UA and all *A partners
Old May 24, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Anyone think the explorer might be brought back under a different set of rules/costs?
Old May 24, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
I have AA miles to fly from KIX-JFK and want to get the best advise on which carrier I should fly on.
Via AA.com they have the following...

KIX-HNL (HA - A330-200 (332))
spend the entire day
HNL-LAX (HA - A330-200 (332))
LAX-JFK (AA - 32B)
Old May 24, 2014, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arods3
I have AA miles to fly from KIX-JFK and want to get the best advise on which carrier I should fly on.
Via AA.com they have the following...

KIX-HNL (HA - A330-200 (332))
spend the entire day
HNL-LAX (HA - A330-200 (332))
LAX-JFK (AA - 32B)
Well, you've posted in the wrong thread, since you're not asking about the (now discontinued) Explorer awards.

But if you call AA, you might get a more direct routing via TYO on JL. (JL award availability is not displayed on aa.com.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.