Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by tuchop
Could someone briefly explain what are AA Explorer awards (or were) please?
Please read the first post in this thread. @:-)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Could someone briefly explain what are AA Explorer awards (or were) please?
OW explorer awards: award type that allowed for multi-city-multi-stop itineraries involving multiple Oneworld partners that were priced based on distance (not on geographical zones) and didn't have to conform to the regular published fare routing rules that AA imposes on other types of award tickets.

The lengthy details are indicated in the first post in this thread.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:15 am

Could someone briefly explain what are AA Explorer award
They are history.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by GUWonder
OW explorer awards: award type that allowed for multi-city-multi-stop itineraries involving multiple Oneworld partners that were priced based on distance (not on geographical zones) and didn't have to conform to the regular published fare routing rules that AA imposes on other types of award tickets.

The lengthy details are indicated in the first post in this thread.
thank you very much for the answer .
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
153 page thread with such ridiculously great info is all history in a spoof. Testament to the vulnerability of our hobby.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:06 pm

Two questions:

a) Anyone has tried to change dates on already ticketed tickets? (have completed 70 pct of my trip but may have to change date/time for future legs)

b) Any long timer remember when this great award was initiated?

and one comment:

eliminating such complex award where it takes hours over many days to put together am itin. (let alone years to save up miles) without any warning is pretty bad indicator of the things to come...

(I got contradictory responses from CSR)

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 15, 2014 at 4:15 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by desi
Anyone able to change dates/time in last couple of days for already issued ticket?

Well, you certainly should be able to. But who the h*** knows what the new US of AA**les will do to its customers in this situation. They took these away instantly without warning scr**ing customers saving and planning to book these, so they might also even give the shaft to customers already enroute when they try to make changes. After all, your award does not exist anymore.

I'd hang up and call again, escalate if necessary, and if they still give you the shaft file a DOT complaint.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by desi
Anyone able to change dates/time in last couple of days for already issued ticket?

I would like to know this also...Anyone?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Well, you certainly should be able to. But who the h*** knows what the new US of AA**les will do to its customers in this situation. They took these away instantly without warning scr**ing customers saving and planning to book these, so they might also even give the shaft to customers already enroute when they try to make changes. After all, your award does not exist anymore.

I'd hang up and call again, escalate if necessary, and if they still give you the shaft file a DOT complaint.
Just ask to be directly through to a supervisor as they are clearly more sympathetic and knowledgeable than front line agents regarding the new status of these awards.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:11 pm

I want to chime in and also request that people post any experiences with date changes. I have a ticketed OW explorer award in the future that I haven't started yet, and I'd like to know if I'll hit any resistance if I need to move dates around.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by ninroot
I want to chime in and also request that people post any experiences with date changes. I have a ticketed OW explorer award in the future that I haven't started yet, and I'd like to know if I'll hit any resistance if I need to move dates around.
Ditto on this one, but my case is a bit different. I've got 2x flights left on a much longer itinerary, but I'm still very curious about adjusting dates for those flights.

I'm also curious whether or not, assuming date changes are still possible, the original rules still apply. For instance could it be possible that the no connection to stopover / stopover to connection rule and no non-identical routing rules (ORD-TXL -> ORD-LHR-TXL) are no longer being enforced ?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
I do have one on the books, that I have yet to take. I did call in and was told that rules still apply to those on the books, so you can still change dates, which I was unsure.

I hate to open up this wound again, but it was one of the last question I and a few others had.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:55 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
I do have one on the books, that I have yet to take. I did call in and was told that rules still apply to those on the books, so you can still change dates, which I was unsure.

I hate to open up this wound again, but it was one of the last question I and a few others had.
I have changed various dates/times on my next ticket over the past few days. So no problem.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:03 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 8:48 am
Old May 8, 2014, 7:33 am

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 8:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.