Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:41 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by zznoname
AAN. Sorry.

I have a good, but super tough AAgent on the phone. She firmly implied the taxes can not be wrong. They did them by hand and was frustrated. I explained, on the first go around, AA had my taxes at $700+ and the other identical ticket at $500+. so it's very, very possible AA can get the taxes wrong.

Also.. Is not a non-stop flight taxes less expensive than a stop-over? Or going AMM to BKK non-stop would be less expensive in taxes than flying AMM-CMB (stopover), CMB-BKK?

Doesn't make reason the taxes would go up $200. She is tough.

I'm thinking, if she comes back with the same number, I'll request a call back from a manager.
Do you have a MH segment on that route (perhaps on the way to BKK)? MH segments seem to introduce those nasty surcharges (AKA fuel fines), even though according to current rules they shouldn't. Ask the next AAgent you speak with to have the fare desk double check the taxes. Only once in the past 10 months did I have the fare desk screw up on this - and they corrected themselves within 24 hours.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by honu
Do you have a MH segment on that route (perhaps on the way to BKK)? MH segments seem to introduce those nasty surcharges (AKA fuel fines), even though according to current rules they shouldn't. Ask the next AAgent you speak with to have the fare desk double check the taxes. Only once in the past 10 months did I have the fare desk screw up on this - and they corrected themselves within 24 hours.
I find the posts a little confusing (to me) as to -exactly- what the routing was and what it now would be, but, off-hand, from the posts it doesn't appear to me that MH fits in there-- your point would/is a very good one if there was/is any MH segment as a likely culprit.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:05 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Saw your post on the EXP Facebook group (surprised it got any attention at all amongst and in-between their epic, herculean efforts to solve MH370 mystery ) and I agree with the advice you got there-- that since it was due to a route being cancelled, you should not be responsible for any extra taxes/fees.

I can't tell from your "Bottom line, a $500. AAvoucher." what exactly the outcome was (or how many tickets this was, etc) and/or if you're happy with the outcome-- but hope you are! Also can't tell if you're OK with skipping CMB on this ticket and if you pursued that at all?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:09 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:12 am
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hello! I'm having trouble getting an agent to book this One World Explorer Award. The supervisor seems to think that I can't leave North America more than once, but I think she's confusing this with the xONEx tickets? Is there anything wrong with this award routing?

Thanks!

LAX-DUS
DUS-HEL-JFK-YYZ
open jaw
MAD-XRY
XRY-MAD
MAD-JFK
EWR-ORY
ORY-LHR-ORD
ORD-LAX
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by hotpot1
Hello! I'm having trouble getting an agent to book this One World Explorer Award. The supervisor seems to think that I can't leave North America more than once, but I think she's confusing this with the xONEx tickets? Is there anything wrong with this award routing?

Thanks!

LAX-DUS
DUS-HEL-JFK-YYZ
open jaw
MAD-XRY
XRY-MAD
MAD-JFK
EWR-ORY
ORY-LHR-ORD
ORD-LAX
The supervisor is certainly incorrect - as stated in the wiki, there is no rule restricting the number of continental departures and arrivals

Your itinerary appears valid
- only one open jaw
- no intermediate visits to point of departure or final destination
- 13 of the max 16 segments used (11 flight segments, one open jaw segment and one co-terminal segment [JFK to EWR])

Are your multiple passes through NYC and MAD OK?
- only one stopover allowed at a city
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:18 pm
wmz

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Around the World Journey

Oneworld experts:

I'm planning an epic 3-4 month trip around the world using the Explorer award (In Y, not enough miles to do J/F). My travel dates are flexible, starting sometime around April-May and ending in the beginning of August. However, I won't be able to book the award until AA/US allow for a transfer between programs, since I only have ~135K AA miles but ~230K US miles. It's been a challenge finding the best routing and availability, but here's what I've come up with so far, with expected availability based on preliminary searches (October-December as a proxy for availability 6 months out):

Segments:
  • JFK/MIA/DFW-LIM (AA/LA) - Very Low
  • LIM-SCL (LA) - Very Low
  • SCL-AKL (LA) - Very Low
  • AKL-SYD (QF) - Very High
  • SYD-NRT (QF/JL) - Low
  • NRT-ICN (JL) - High
  • ICN-HKG (CX) - Very High
  • HKG-REP (KA) - Low
  • REP-KUL (MH) - Low
  • KUL-IST (MH) - Low
  • IST-AMM (RJ) - Very High
  • AMM-DXB (RJ) - Very High
  • DXB-HEL (AY) - High
  • HEL-TXL (AB/AY) - Very High
  • TXL-MAD/LHR/anywhere on the west side of Europe (open jaw for travel around Europe via Eurail)
  • MAD/LHR/etc.-any AA/US hub (AA/US) - High

Potential Issues/Questions:
  1. I can only use "Saver" fares in this award, right? If I see any partner availability on the BA/QF tools, does it mean that it'll be a "Saver" bucket for AA? H
  2. How far out do airlines usually release for partner awards? I'd like to try to book all of these as soon as I can transfer the miles, but would some routes not be released until closer to the travel dates?
  3. There seems to be extremely low availability for the first 3 flights. AA shows almost no saver availability from any of these US cities to LIM. LAN is a pain in the ... to search, and I haven't found anything using the BA/QF tools. SCL-AKL seems to be unsearchable on any site, and I've heard that availability is very limited. There doesn't seem to be any other way to get
    from South America to New Zealand though.
  4. My impression is that as long as I avoid BA/IB, I won't get hit with huge fuel surcharges. Are there any airlines/airports that I should avoid for high taxes/fees? If I use the AA tool, it should show me expected taxes/fees for a certain route, right? What about for airlines that can't be searched using the AA tool?
  5. I'm not particularly interested in visiting AMM, but I have to connect through to get from IST-DXB. IST is problematic because the only destinations seem to be AMM, LHR (don't want to west to London and backtrack to HEL), and DOH (not particularly interested either). Are there any other optimal routings that would allow me to visit all of those cities but not have to connect in AMM?
  6. Any other feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by wmz; Mar 15, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Old Mar 15, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wmz
No one yet knows when US & AA miles will be combined. If it is Jan 01 2015 you will little time to sort out the award. Change in the rules is a risk
Have you considered locking in a US awards on Star before 30 Mar. (It could be cancelled)

SCL-SYD on LA or QF tends to have more availability, but is still hard to get. You may have to change the city order e.g. SCL-SYD-AKL-HKG-NRT and/or SYD-HKG-NRT. SYD is not the only airport in Australia. Look at BNE MEL & ADL. CX has more flights Aust to HKG than QF and from more Aust cities. CX also fly AKL-HKG. Likewise QF fly from CHC, WLG, ZQN as well as AKL.

Awards an be released any time, but most start at 353 days or 330 days depending on airlines. JL may be different.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 15, 2014 at 7:02 pm
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Quick question,

Say I'm flying HEL-SVO with AY and then DME-FRA with S7. Stopover in Moscow.

As I understand that would not count as an open-jaw (same city),
but this part would count as three segments (flight :: co-terminals/airports of the same city :: flight).

Am I correct?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
wmz
No one yet knows when US & AA miles will be combined. If it is Jan 01 2015 you will little time to sort out the award. Change in the rules is a risk
Have you considered locking in a US awards on Star before 30 Mar. (It could be cancelled)

SCL-SYD on LA or QF tends to have more availability, but is still hard to get. You may have to change the city order e.g. SCL-SYD-AKL-HKG-NRT and/or SYD-HKG-NRT. SYD is not the only airport in Australia. Look at BNE MEL & ADL. CX has more flights Aust to HKG than QF and from more Aust cities. CX also fly AKL-HKG. Likewise QF fly from CHC, WLG, ZQN as well as AKL.

Awards an be released any time, but most start at 353 days or 330 days depending on airlines. JL may be different.
I'm glad that you posted this

I really need to start thinking about alternatives to QF which I'm not finding any J availability. Even if it takes me into the next mileage bucket
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV
Quick question,

Say I'm flying HEL-SVO with AY and then DME-FRA with S7. Stopover in Moscow.

As I understand that would not count as an open-jaw (same city),
but this part would count as three segments (flight :: co-terminals/airports of the same city :: flight).

Am I correct?
Correct
- it's not an open jaw (because DME and SVO are co-terminals - see the wiki)
- but the surface segment does count as one of the 16 segments allowed
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Correct
- it's not an open jaw (because DME and SVO are co-terminals - see the wiki)
- but the surface segment does count as one of the 16 segments allowed
Thanks!
^
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Basically, the supervisor thought that I could only leave/enter each continent once. I asked her where in the rules it states that, and she told me that she didn't want to get written up and she's been working there for decades and didn't want to get in trouble.... She put part of my itinerary on hold (it's on hold for a month -- is that normal??), but only including one transatlantic flight each direction... *shrug*

I'll try again with a different agent

Originally Posted by pandaperth
The supervisor is certainly incorrect - as stated in the wiki, there is no rule restricting the number of continental departures and arrivals

Your itinerary appears valid
- only one open jaw
- no intermediate visits to point of departure or final destination
- 13 of the max 16 segments used (11 flight segments, one open jaw segment and one co-terminal segment [JFK to EWR])

Are your multiple passes through NYC and MAD OK?
- only one stopover allowed at a city

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.