Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Yes you can.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt Platinum, SPG
First Post, so first things first.

1. Thanks to everyone who is active on this thread (and FT in general) from whom I have learned a ton so far!
2. I have researched explorer awards semi in-depth so far, but need to get a better understanding of the fine details/availability.

Questions are below:

1. my hometown city is a non-international airport, so I believe I need to route from one of these airports (in my case ORD is nearest). I am curious for other FT'ers if they just position to one of these airports, when booking one of these Awards?
2. My travel is very flexible, but I want to get a headstart on booking the awards (9+ months out at least). My interested booking is: ORD-PEK,PEK-SYD, SYD-AKL, AKL-LAX, which is just under 20k miles flown. Is there any glaring issues with this routing/booking?
3. To my knowledge, I can not end my travel in the same city I start it in? This is why my routing starts in ORD and ends in LAX, I then just book one-way tickets home.
4. (maybe the most important, but tougher one to answer, idk). Any advice on how hard these flights are to book biz class in (I am targeting 20k miles flown in biz class for 130k AA miles)? Would love to get Cathay Pacific biz class for the ORD-PEK segment, and then the next best biz class seat for the AKL-LAX segment (tips on best seats accepted!)

-Thats it for the moment, sry for the long (first post)! Again, thanks for the help and advice!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by jwbcwhit87

1. Thanks to everyone who is active on this thread (and FT in general) from whom I have learned a ton so far!
2. I have researched explorer awards semi in-depth so far, but need to get a better understanding of the fine details/availability.

Questions are below:

1. my hometown city is a non-international airport, so I believe I need to route from one of these airports (in my case ORD is nearest). I am curious for other FT'ers if they just position to one of these airports, when booking one of these Awards?
2. My travel is very flexible, but I want to get a headstart on booking the awards (9+ months out at least). My interested booking is: ORD-PEK,PEK-SYD, SYD-AKL, AKL-LAX, which is just under 20k miles flown. Is there any glaring issues with this routing/booking?
3. To my knowledge, I can not end my travel in the same city I start it in? This is why my routing starts in ORD and ends in LAX, I then just book one-way tickets home.
4. (maybe the most important, but tougher one to answer, idk). Any advice on how hard these flights are to book biz class in (I am targeting 20k miles flown in biz class for 130k AA miles)? Would love to get Cathay Pacific biz class for the ORD-PEK segment, and then the next best biz class seat for the AKL-LAX segment (tips on best seats accepted!)

-Thats it for the moment, sry for the long (first post)! Again, thanks for the help and advice!
Welcome to FT!

Is your hometown airport served by AA? If so, you can start your trip there (presumably on AA).

CX does not offer direct service ORD-PEK; QF no longer offers direct service AKL-LAX. You need to include all mileage flown on connecting segments to come up with your total flown mileage.

You certainly can begin and end your Explorer award at the same city; in fact, if you do not, you will not be permitted to have an open-jaw segment anywhere else on the award's itinerary.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Questions are below:

1. You can start and end an award anywhere. My award started and ended on two different continents as an example. I do have separate awards to reach those points.

2. ORD-PEK on CX would involve going ORD-HKG-PEK. PEK-SYD, I'm guessing you'd want to go PEK-HKG-SYD, but you could go PEK-NRT-SYD. As for AKL-LAX, you'll have to route back through Australia, or up through HKG. Here, it might make sense to go PEK-HKG-AKL, then AKL-SYD, then SYD-USA, if it is possible for you to flip the order of destinations.

3. You can start and end in the same city if you want. This also allows you to have an open-jaw in the middle of the award if you so choose.

4. Getting from AKL or Australia back to the USA will definitely be the toughest part of this award. CX ORD-HKG usually isn't tough to find. If in doubt, you could fly ORD-EWR-HKG, J award availability on the newer EWR-HKG flight is generally quite good.

Good luck!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Welcome to FT jwbcwhit87
Questions are below:

As guv1976 said - if your home airport is served by AA (or I guess by US as well now that it is part of Oneworld) then you can start and/or end there
Yes, there are a few glaring issues with your proposed itinerary
  • no direct flights on Oneworld PEK-SYD
  • no direct flights on Oneworld AKL-LAX
  • for an Explorer award two Oneworld airlines other than AA must be used - you will have only one, namely QF (Qantas)
What guv1976 said is correct
Toughest to get is likely to be the Qantas trans-Pacific; but if you are flexible regarding travel dates and are only looking for a single seat, then you should be able to get something that works for you
Other comments:
  • This itinerary is under 20K miles and has the necessary two Oneworld carriers ORD-PEK-HKG-SYD-LAX
    The carriers will be AA (ORD-PEK), CX or its subsidary KA (PEK-HKG), CX or QF (HKG-SYD) and QF (SYD-LAX)
    Trans-Tasman fares (i.e. Australia to New Zealand) are cheap so you could purchase a separate return ticket from Sydney for that part of your trip
  • For 20K more award miles you can have an additional 5K miles. It might be cost effective for you to purchase the miles - maybe you can include your positioning flights at the start and end, maybe you can include the trans-Tasman return flight. Edited to add: or you could take TheBOSman's excellent suggestion ORD-PEK-HKG-AKL-SYD-LAX

Last edited by pandaperth; Apr 6, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The suggested ORD-PEK-HKG-AKL-SYD-LAX routing is less than 22,400 flown miles, so LAX-ORD could be added (and maybe even XXX-ORD at the beginning and ORD-XXX at the end) without exceeding 25,000 flown miles.

And if AKL-SYD is going to be flown on an Explorer award, I would at least try to find J-class award space on LAN's flight on this route: it should be better than QF's.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
I'm ticketed! Valuation: $.175/mile

OK! I have my tickets set for next year. I'm excited! It took lots of time on the phone with AA reps, so I guess I made them earn their $25 fee. I thought I'd mention the value of my AA miles for this trip. For the flights as booked, with their price today, I came out to 17.5 cents/mile for my 140000 AA miles (150k award, - 10k for Citi AA card) -- a trip priced at $24459.

This is for business class, and if I was really buying the tickets and just picking the cheapest business fare available on orbitz (which would change some of my non-stops into connections), the price is $11842 (still over 8 cents/mile).
If I'd booked economy instead, the flights I booked would have given my miles a valuation of 7.8 cents/mile, or the cheapest available economy is still 4.4 cents/mile.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:44 pm

us air merger doesn't count for aa explorer award.

I spent a good deal of time planning two trips on aa explorer award. I followed all the rules that come with it and managed to get some great routing. I called the booking number and put all the flights on hold. They told me there was a problem pricing out the taxes and I should call back in 24 hours to finish booking. When I called back the problem arose. The last leg of my route lhr - clt - aus on us air is not legal with a oneworld award. I was told that even though they are now "technically" part of one world, "it doesn't count for explorer awards".

Keep in mind I was told this reservation was completely legal at the time I put it on hold.

Now my hold on the flights runs out in hours and they won't extend the hold giving me time to find a solution. Does anyone know if us air should in fact be bookable on this award? !
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What other carriers are on your proposed itinerary?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:11 pm

complete itinerary. dfw-lax-bne-syd-nrt-hkg-lax-aus-lhr-clt-aus-dfw.
Carriers include: aa/qantas/cathay/ba and hopefulle us air
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:34 pm

I spent a good deal of time planning two trips on aa explorer award. I followed all the rules that come with it and managed to get some great routing. I called the booking number and put all the flights on hold. They told me there was a problem pricing out the taxes and I should call back in 24 hours to finish booking. When I called back the problem arose. The last leg of my route lhr - clt - aus on us air is not legal with a oneworld award. I was told that even though they are now "technically" part of one world, "it doesn't count for explorer awards".

Keep in mind I was told this reservation was completely legal at the time I put it on hold.

Now my hold on the flights runs out in hours and they won't extend the hold giving me time to find a solution. Does anyone know if us air should in fact be bookable on this award? !
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mich183902
complete itinerary. dfw-lax-bne-syd-nrt-hkg-lax-aus-lhr-clt-aus-dfw.
Carriers include: aa/qantas/cathay/ba and hopefulle us air
I would call back, and ask for a supervisor. US in an affiliate member of oneworld (under AA). Affiliate members can be included on Explorer awards. If necessary, point out to the supervisor that Dragonair, a Cathay affiliate, is bookable on Explorer awards; and that Lan Argentina and Lan Peru, which are Lan Chile affiliates, are also bookable.

Let us know how you fare.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mich183902

I don't know definitively, but maybe this won't work until US flight numbers are replaced with AA flight numbers. US flights seem to be treated as partner flights for whatever reason, meaning no AAnytime awards. It seems like you should be able to get these flights, but could it be that this is more a technical issue and not a rules issue?

Last edited by rrgg; Apr 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt Platinum, SPG
Thanks everyone for the awesome responses, after reading 3-4 responses, I learned more about my particular routing then I had previously understood after a few hours/days of research And yes, I am still figuring out how to post cool responses (tagging, bolded name responses, etc) like the pro's above me, but I digress.

1. @Guv1976, yes my home airport is served by AA, so that makes it much simpler to just start my trip from my home city, vs positioning to ORD. Thanks for clearing that up! I will remember to include all segments for my total trip. After some of the other responses, and realities of the places I want to visit, it looks like I will be going up to the high threshold (150k AA miles for 25k miles flown in biz class). As for the "open jaw" note, still not sure if I will be using one on this trip, I will know more once I get a better grasp on what open jaws really are

2. @BOSman, thanks so much for the tips! Your routing actually looks better then mine ( ORD-PEK-HKG-AKL-SYD-LAX). I am open to flying CX from ORD-HKG-PEK, just for the sole purpose of getting on my first ever biz class seat in my life! I am able to flip all of the countries into any order that creates the best routing, so very flexible there. Also, thanks for the tips on getting back to the US from Australia.

3. @PandaPerth, thanks for the detailed explanation, it is much appreciated. I agree with your statement up bumping up to the next threshold for an additional 5k miles flown, for a small 20k AA miles. This now seems like a complete no-brainer considering I can start/end in my home city, without positioning to larger cities. You mentioned looking for 1 seat and being flexible "shouldnt" be to difficult, does upping that to two people making it out of this world more difficult, or should I just start looking now for a trip 1 year from now?

Thanks everyone for your awesome help!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:59 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by flyernick
OK! I have my tickets set for next year. I'm excited! It took lots of time on the phone with AA reps, so I guess I made them earn their $25 fee. I thought I'd mention the value of my AA miles for this trip. For the flights as booked, with their price today, I came out to 17.5 cents/mile for my 140000 AA miles (150k award, - 10k for Citi AA card) -- a trip priced at $24459.

This is for business class, and if I was really buying the tickets and just picking the cheapest business fare available on orbitz (which would change some of my non-stops into connections), the price is $11842 (still over 8 cents/mile).
If I'd booked economy instead, the flights I booked would have given my miles a valuation of 7.8 cents/mile, or the cheapest available economy is still 4.4 cents/mile.
Almost none of us would ever pay those exorbitant amounts for those tickets. So 17.5 cents is just tooth fairy pixie dust material. If we quoted valuations like that, I can book a boring economy class ticket from SFO to JFK months in advance for 12.5k and $2.50 in taxes and then look up the price 60 minutes before the flight to get an inflated number that will make me feel like I saved a million bucks. Even 4.4 cents sounds way inflated.
When you've (not your employer) paid $25k cash for a trip like that, then you can use those valuations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.