Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Joyce, substituting AKL-SCL-JFK-IAD (or AKL-SCL-MIA-DCA) for your existing AKL-BNE-LAX-IAD routing would not add any segments to your existing oneworld itinerary. You would still have a total of 15 segments, and could even add a second South American city, if desired.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:05 pm

Questions/clarifications

Hi all,

After a couple of hours on the phone, I am striking out on knowledgeable/helpful AA reps here. I'm on my last few hours of holding my reservation: JFK-YVR-NRTx-ICN-HKGx-BKK-SIN-BKKx-HELx-HAM-HELx-ZRH-MADx-BER (overland) FCO-LHRx-JFK

I have a couple of questions:

Once I am ticketed, can I
a) change flights with the same origin/destination? For example right now I am flying FinnAir from HAM-HELx-ZRH. But, with AirBerlin coming on-line to OneWorld in March, there are direct flights I should be able to take. Can I swap these flights out once ticketed?
b) change timing?
c) eliminate legs? For example, if I can't get AirBerlin flights instead of FinnAir flights, can I opt to eliminate those legs of my flight later on and just buy my ticket?

Thanks so much for your help, I'm so excited to be almost there and have my RTW ticket!! (I'm also not having any luck extending my reservation - when Malev ceased operations last week, it ruined my itinerary since I was using BUD as a hub to travel around Europe )

Best,
Christie
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by obscuredolfin
Hi all,

After a couple of hours on the phone, I am striking out on knowledgeable/helpful AA reps here. I'm on my last few hours of holding my reservation: JFK-YVR-NRTx-ICN-HKGx-BKK-SIN-BKKx-HELx-HAM-HELx-ZRH-MADx-BER (overland) FCO-LHRx-JFK

I have a couple of questions:

a) change flights with the same origin/destination? For example right now I am flying FinnAir from HAM-HELx-ZRH. But, with AirBerlin coming on-line to OneWorld in March, there are direct flights I should be able to take. Can I swap these flights out once ticketed?
b) change timing?
c) eliminate legs? For example, if I can't get AirBerlin flights instead of FinnAir flights, can I opt to eliminate those legs of my flight later on and just buy my ticket?

Thanks so much for your help, I'm so excited to be almost there and have my RTW ticket!! (I'm also not having any luck extending my reservation - when Malev ceased operations last week, it ruined my itinerary since I was using BUD as a hub to travel around Europe )

Best,
Christie
Oneworld awards are very rigid, once ticketed. The only change you can make is to change the flight time, but you cannot change carrier, routing, and you must take all flights, otherwise any flight you skip will cause the rest of your itinerary to be cancelled.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jwerking
I agree totally and have several connections that are about one hour - which I am NOT happy with right now.
If you will tell me which connections are short, I'll look up the "minimum connecting times" for you and try to find alternatives.

Am I allowed to ask for a later flight (in some cases, there are NO other flights that day) even though they are beyond the 6-hr connection limit? Would it then become a stopover??
Once you get beyond the 6-hour window, you are required to book the first scheduled flight, even if the flight has no availability. The penalty (which makes no real difference to a traveler who is touching an airport only once during her itinerary) is that the connection is deemed to be a "stopover."

Once I book the ticket, am I allowed to change a connection to a stopover?? I would not mine stopping in Brisbane for a week since we did not go there during our last trip to Oz.
It has been reported that this is allowed, which makes perfect sense given that date and time changes are allowed after ticketing.

Okay - does QF load seats ahead of AA's 330 day window? But if I book the AKL-BNE-LAX-IAD now because no other award seats are available in the US right now, I have to stay with this itinerary. So do you see anything in mid- January on QF for AKL-BNE-LAX for two cattle?
Yes, QF loads seats at 355 days, I believe. This is why Expert Flyer now shows QF availability beyond AA's booking window.

There is a ton of AKL -> BNE nonstop availability for 10-23 January except on the 13th. During that window, BNE -> LAX is available nonstop as follows: 11th (2 seats), 13th (9+ seats), 16th (6 seats), 17th (8 seats), 18th (8 seats), 19th (8 seats), 20th (9+ seats), 22nd (9+ seats), 23rd (9+ seats). There is spotty one-stop availability through SYD or MEL. Don't forget that once you're in BNE, you have options in addition to QF.

LOL - please Austinrunner - do NOT tempt me any further! Had no idea where SCL and EZE were?? Oh my gosh, I would love to go to South America - but I am not out of segments to do it! I am up to 15 segments now with the recent addition of my HND-KIX leg.
Honestly not trying to tempt you! Just trying to find a back-up plan for getting you home if QF wasn't available. You have about 6,500 flown miles to play with. Going home through SCL would be just a couple hundred flown miles farther than through BNE. And South America as a connecting point would be a much shorter ordeal than HKG, for instance. (Disregard my earlier suggestion about
SYD -> EZE nonstop. QF is ending that route next month.)
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by obscuredolfin
Given that AB's joining is date-certain, ask AA if you can book AB flights now.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Akl-scl- mia-dca

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Joyce, substituting AKL-SCL-JFK-IAD (or AKL-SCL-MIA-DCA) for your existing AKL-BNE-LAX-IAD routing would not add any segments to your existing oneworld itinerary. You would still have a total of 15 segments, and could even add a second South American city, if desired.
Okay, guys - you are killing me here with temptation - it is like a kid in a candy shop! BTW, guv 1976 and austinrunner, are you guys or gals - or is it too personal to ask - sorry!

Also, there is this thing called money and I am going to so SO SO poor after this trip - esp on retirement pay since I am retiring on April 20th and leaving right away for my first visit to Korea to see my baby!

Okay, I checked online and there is award availability on AA flight 912 from SCL to MIA on Dec 11, 23, or 24. Once again, no availability from MIA back to WAS for the entire month of Dec except for Dec 11 and 12. So I could book Dec 11 from SCL-MIA-DCA and change it later if flights become available in late January. Would this be the proper strategy? Any way, it depends if there is any award availibility from AKL -SCL prior to the Dec 11 date (option 1) ! Or I could just book the Dec 23 or 24 flight (option 2) (can't believe these dates are available) and just pay my own way back from MIA to DCA - should not be too many $$$.

Austinrunner - could you do me a big favor and check if there is availability from AKL to SCL prior to Dec 11 ( option 1) and then around Dec 23 or 24 (option 2)? I have not figured out how to use Expertflyer - I think I tried it a few weeks again and could not figure out how it worked.

This is really crazy right now - with booking these returns in early December when I want to come back in late January - and the only reason is because AA will not load their domestic award seats.

Thank all of you for your help once again!

Joyce
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:41 am

Short Connection Time

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
If you will tell me which connections are short, I'll look up the "minimum connecting times" for you and try to find alternatives.
On June 13th, I have a one hour connection at NRT as shown below. This cannot be a stopover as I am doing a stopover in HND later.
ICN- NRT: JL 950, 8:00am to 10:20 am
NRT- JFK: JL 6, 11:20 am to 11:25 am
On Dec 3, I have a 1:45 connection in SYD as follows: ( this could be a stopover with no problem)
BKK-SYD: QF 24, 8:55 pm - 10:00am (next day)
SYD- AKL: QF 43, 11:45 AM - 4:55 pm
Thank you again for your help, Austinrunner, you are truly the best!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:47 am
Suspended

BTW, guv 1976 and austinrunner, are you guys or gals
The latter is a manly man.

Okay, I checked online and there is award availability on AA flight 912 from SCL to MIA on Dec 11, 23, or 24. Once again, no availability from MIA back to WAS for the entire month of Dec except for Dec 11 and 12. So I could book Dec 11 from SCL-MIA-DCA and change it later if flights become available in late January. Would this be the proper strategy? Any way, it depends if there is any award availibility from AKL -SCL prior to the Dec 11 date (option 1) ! Or I could just book the Dec 23 or 24 flight (option 2) (can't believe these dates are available) and just pay my own way back from MIA to DCA - should not be too many $$$.

Austinrunner - could you do me a big favor and check if there is availability from AKL to SCL prior to Dec 11 ( option 1) and then around Dec 23 or 24 (option 2)?
AKL -> SCL nonstop on LA 800 is available for 2 people in Y on 1 December (checked from the 1st through the 11th) and on 24 December.

SYD -> SCL nonstop on QF 27 is available for 2 people in Y on 5 December, 6 December, and 7 December. It's not available on the 23rd or 24th of December.

Booking your earliest acceptable return dates now and then trying to move them to subsequent, more acceptable dates later is a good strategy.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:17 am

AKL -> SCL nonstop on LA 800 is available for 2 people in Y on 1 December (checked from the 1st through the 11th) and on 24 December.
Dec 1 will not work - don't get to AKL until Dec 4th.

Dec 24 may work. It would be:
ACL- SCL on Dec 24 using LA 800 from 4:10 pm until 11:40 am ( I assume arr on dec 24)
Then SCL - MIA on Dec 24 using AA 912 from 10:10 pm to 4:45 am ( So I am in Santiago for about 11 hrs - as a stopover?)
This is a real possibility - is the 11 hrs in SCL allowed as a stopover.

SYD -> SCL nonstop on QF 27 is available for 2 people in Y on 5 December, 6 December, and 7 December. It's not available on the 23rd or 24th of December.
???? I cannot find Flight QF 27 either on the Quantas site or the ITA site??? Is it nonstop from SYD to SCL or via AKL?

The Dec 7th date would be a possibility.

Once again, thank you for your help!!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ACL- SCL on Dec 24 using LA 800 from 4:10 pm until 11:40 am ( I assume arr on dec 24)
Then SCL - MIA on Dec 24 using AA 912 from 10:10 pm to 4:45 am ( So I am in Santiago for about 11 hrs - as a stopover?)

???? I cannot find Flight QF 27 either on the Quantas site or the ITA site??? Is it nonstop from SYD to SCL or via AKL?

Joyce, LA also flies SCL-MIA, so it might be worth checking LA availability too, in case you would like to have more time in SCL. And unless your itinerary already has two connections through NYC, you could look at SCL-JFK-WAS as an alternative to going through MIA.

And I'm a guy also.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Joyce, LA also flies SCL-MIA, so it might be worth checking LA availability too, in case you would like to have more time in SCL. And unless your itinerary already has two connections through NYC, you could look at SCL-JFK-WAS as an alternative to going through MIA.

And I'm a guy also.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:24 pm

How to avoid BA fuel surcharge from NBO?

Hi all,

I'm trying to come up with this itinerary, but want to know what options I have from NBO to South America, more specifically, to BOG.

BKK-DEL-AMM-CAI-AMM-NBO-LHR-MAD-BOG

All the flights from NBO seem to be from BA airlines, does this mean I am forced to pay the fuel surcharge?

Do I have any other options?

TIA!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by tdao
All the flights from NBO seem to be from BA airlines...Do I have any other options?
Yes! A minimal change to your itinerary would be NBO-AMM-MAD on Royal Jordanian, then MAD-BOG on Iberia as before.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Because you are touching SCL only once on your itinerary, it doesn't matter whether it's a connection or a stopover.

I cannot find Flight QF 27 either on the Quantas site or the ITA site??? Is it nonstop from SYD to SCL or via AKL?
QF 27 is nonstop SYD -> SCL on a 747-400. The route begins 26 March 2012, which is probably why you're not finding it. Here is a good website for looking up flights: http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/..._Airways_QF_27
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:53 pm
Suspended

On June 13th, I have a one hour connection at NRT as shown below. This cannot be a stopover as I am doing a stopover in HND later.
ICN- NRT: JL 950, 8:00am to 10:20 am
NRT- JFK: JL 6, 11:20 am to 11:25 am
On Dec 3, I have a 1:45 connection in SYD as follows: ( this could be a stopover with no problem)
BKK-SYD: QF 24, 8:55 pm - 10:00am (next day)
SYD- AKL: QF 43, 11:45 AM - 4:55 pm
Thank you again for your help, Austinrunner, you are truly the best!
I could not find an alternative to the June 13th flights. The connection time of 1 hour appears to comply with the minimum connecting time rule, but this would still stress me out. I investigated
NRT -> LAX -> JFK but could not find availability on the LAX -> JFK leg (AA 4 and 32) on June 13th.

As for December 3rd, QF 113 leaves SYD at 4:55 pm and is available. An alternative to that is
BKK -> SIN (CX 713) -> SYD (QF 2) -> AKL (QF 55). The CX and QF flights are available and would result in your reaching AKL at 2:25 pm. The connection layover in SYD would be 2 hours, 20 minutes. The routing through SIN would cost you an additional segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.