Wiki Posts
Search

The Great AA Mileage Race to "D-Day" (MM change day) - 12/1/11

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 1:48 pm

Advice please

Originally Posted by rayfes
sitting at 790k and here's what I'm doing:

-been earning miles from a Guaranty Bank airmiles account that ended up with BBVA Compass when Guaranty folded. Left it there even after they reduced the earning rate. Now I'm going to pull that $60k out and put it in a 2 yr Bankdirect CD so that'll be 60k now.

-should receive 23.5k from a new CitiGold checking account I opened a few months ago but am a little concerned that someone mentioned difficulty getting the bonus. I never funded this account with anything near the min amount to prevent fees.

-opened the world elite Citi MC yesterday and was told I'd receive the 25k bonus (have signed up for 2 other Citi cards in the last year or so)

-transferred 43k Diner's Club Rewards Points to AA

this will put me at 941.5k

I will spend $40k on the Citi elite MC next year so that should get 40k + 10k bonus (I assume the EQM bonus counts towards LT)

I only have 1 trip before 12/1 but it's AUS->JFK->ZRH and I'll do the mileage multiplier. This should get me there with a little bit of buffer and if something goes wrong BIS flying will get me there soon enough.

Then I'll relax
Did you apply for the World Elite or call Customer Service to upgrade one of your existing accounts? thanks
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
I only have 1 trip before 12/1 but it's AUS->JFK->ZRH and I'll do the mileage multiplier. This should get me there with a little bit of buffer and if something goes wrong BIS flying will get me there soon enough.
Am I missing something here? Why do the mileage multiplier at its avg cost of 3.28cpm when you can just buy the miles for around 2.2cpm?

Unless you've already reached the annual limit for buy/gift miles, it seems like a much cheaper option (at least until midnight tonight when the 25% bonus expires).

Or I suppose if you don't want to spend the minimum $500+ to trigger the bonus and your mileage multiplier costs aren't that high either.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: A/A LifeTime Platinum 3MM; Lifetime Admiral's Club, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
... Just applied for Citi Executive AAdvantage card (25,000 bonus miles)...
Aloha JDiver:

Congrats on your plan to reach 5MM. Unless I am missing something, the Citi Executive AAdvantage card has a $450 annual fee which includes a membership in the Admiral's club. What if you already have a membership?
I'd like to find a way for my wife, who is at 2.5MM, to make it to 3MM and earn the 4SWU, but she already has a lifetime membership in the Admiral's club. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Originally Posted by outpaddling
Aloha JDiver:

Congrats on your plan to reach 5MM. Unless I am missing something, the Citi Executive AAdvantage card has a $450 annual fee which includes a membership in the Admiral's club. What if you already have a membership?
I'd like to find a way for my wife, who is at 2.5MM, to make it to 3MM and earn the 4SWU, but she already has a lifetime membership in the Admiral's club. Any ideas? Thanks.
If you had a regular membership, you can cancel it and get a prorated refund. Since it is a lifetime membership, I don't think you can include that benefit in what you will get for the $450. Do you spend enough in miles that these MM miles will be worth the $450?

Dan
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: A/A LifeTime Platinum 3MM; Lifetime Admiral's Club, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by danorum
If you had a regular membership, you can cancel it and get a prorated refund. Since it is a lifetime membership, I don't think you can include that benefit in what you will get for the $450. Do you spend enough in miles that these MM miles will be worth the $450?

Dan
Mrs Outpaddling currenty has a Citi World Elite Mastercard with an $85 annual fee that has always been waived. I don't think Citi will waive the $450fee, but it won't hurt to ask. It is unlikey that she will earn .5MM by BIS any time soon, so I think it is worth $450 for four system wide upgrades that she will earn at 3MM. Thank goodness she made lifetime platinum before D-Day!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by outpaddling
Mrs Outpaddling currenty has a Citi World Elite Mastercard with an $85 annual fee that has always been waived. I don't think Citi will waive the $450fee, but it won't hurt to ask. It is unlikey that she will earn .5MM by BIS any time soon, so I think it is worth $450 for four system wide upgrades that she will earn at 3MM. Thank goodness she made lifetime platinum before D-Day!
their not gonna waive that fee- the card comes with AAdm Club membership (as well as other perks)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:37 pm

There are 2 items I haven't seen mentioned here unless I missed them.

1) Download the AAdvantageeshopping toolbar and do searches. You get 1 mile for every 3 searches. Not a whole lot of miles but they are free and post every month.
2) Call Citi and see if there are any promos for your card. I called last week for a technical question and the rep told me I could get 1 1/2 miles per $1 until 11/30. Both my MC & Visa were eligible.

Last edited by Pat H; Aug 31, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pat H
There are 2 items I haven't seen mentioned here unless I missed them.

1) Download the AAdvantageeshopping toolbar and do searches. You get 1 mile for every 3 searches. Not a whole lot of miles but they are free and post every month.
2) Call Citi and see if there are any promos for your card. I called last week for a technical question and the rep told me I could get 1 1/2 miles per $1 until 11/30. Both my MC & Visa were eligible.
I stopped doing the searches because it seemed to be so few miles, but great idea on the credit card. I may have to give that a try.

Dan
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Here's how I am going to make 5MM, with 4,897,282 LTM showing in my account: Just applied for Citi Executive AAdvantage card (25,000 bonus miles), ...
Just a bit curious here. From your profile and postings it seems like you'd be able to get to 5MM without the CitiExecAAdv card (bonus + spending). Maybe not by 12/1 but surely not too long after. Is it really worth the $450/year for the miles or are you also interested in the other benefits of that card?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Currently I'm at about 605K lifetime miles, and have just brought 50K tonight, as well as applying for the Citicard AA Business MC for the 40K bonus after $1K spending. I've got about 40K SPG that can be converted to 50K miles, as well as a 25K bonus from Citicard for meeting spending threshold on a AA Visa. So if everything works out, I'd be about 770K miles plus change by 12/1, and would just have to fly 230K BIS miles to hit LT GLD, which I might be able to do over the next 5 to 10 years. At the worst, I'd have plenty of miles for a RTW trip in F/J.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Pat H
I think people are losing their minds...

If you did 100 searchs per day, seven days a week, between September 1st and November 30th (disregarding the fact that searchs near 11/30 would not post by the 12/1 cutoff) it would be 3000 miles.

Anyone for which 3000 miles is the difference maker would get there by flying...

Regards
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Originally Posted by theflyingfox
Did you apply for the World Elite or call Customer Service to upgrade one of your existing accounts? thanks
I just applied online and I ended up in a chat window and received instant approval. During that chat the agent told me I qualified for the 25k bonus miles. Is there a benefit to upgrading an existing account instead of applying for a new one?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I just applied online and I ended up in a chat window and received instant approval.
I've often been in chat windows where I received instant approval. Wait....what are we talking about?

Cheers.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Originally Posted by y2chen
Am I missing something here? Why do the mileage multiplier at its avg cost of 3.28cpm when you can just buy the miles for around 2.2cpm?

Unless you've already reached the annual limit for buy/gift miles, it seems like a much cheaper option (at least until midnight tonight when the 25% bonus expires).

Or I suppose if you don't want to spend the minimum $500+ to trigger the bonus and your mileage multiplier costs aren't that high either.
Correct. I already purchased 40k miles this year with the 10k bonus.

Am going to open a Bank Direct 2 yr CD for 60k tomorrow. I have asked them the penalty for early withdrawal but not received a response. Will post here since I haven't seen that info yet.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:36 am

Correct. I already purchased 40k miles this year with the 10k bonus.

Am going to open a Bank Direct 2 yr CD for 60k tomorrow. I have asked them the penalty for early withdrawal but not received a response. Will post here since I haven't seen that info yet.
There's a long discussion on BD in this forum but, specifically, a discussion of the early withdrawl penalties can be found HERE starting at around post 820.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.