Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great AA Mileage Race to "D-Day" (MM change day) - 12/1/11

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Yes, the credit card issurers do take back AA miles for returned merchandise and tickets.
I'll take your word on this. I've never had a credit on a card that wasn't more than offest by new purchases.

But miles from the purchase of tickets (before 12/1) count towards lifetime status; the deduct of miles from the credit would be non-status miles. So would you get to keep your status and the SWUs?

Last edited by singlemalt; Aug 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by singlemalt
So would you get to keep your status and the SWUs?
These are uncharted waters. Nobody, perhaps not even AA, knows how such exotic details will flesh out. If and when the situation arises, somebody will make some decision. If it is not important, you can take the chance and see what happens; if it is important, make more reliable plans.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Just applied for (and got approved for) another 75K Citicard. So far I have three Citi AAdvantage accounts but plan to consolidate once I meet the spending threshold and the bonuses post.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Simple question for all to ponder:

If I earn mine BIS, and someone else earns theirs by artfully arranging their purchases.....

and when then the basic business of AA is to fly people from A to B ............

Then, why should I have to compete with people who have, in essence, faux status?
The basic business of AA is to turn a profit. If selling miles to credit card companies is more profitable than selling seats on planes, (which is arguably true) then perhaps you are the one with faux status... @:-)
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by MyTravels
Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® 25k miles for $450 ($0.012857/mile)
I didn't see any first-time cardmember language & if you apply before Dec 2011 the spend on this card through Dec 2012 will count toward lifetime.
I saw this when I clicked on the tiny numbers in superscript:

This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is valid only for first-time Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account.

Maybe this is a YMMV situation? Anyone have any experiences to share?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
aa dot com site / buy miles, gift miles and share mile pages not working.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Probably just down for maintenance. It's not unusual for AA to take parts of their website down late at night on the weekends.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Probably just down for maintenance. It's not unusual for AA to take parts of their website down late at night on the weekends.
Actually, those sites are maintained by points.com and not by AA. But they are definitely down for maintenance.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I'm sure it has been posted here, but an option is to do a mileague run and buy the miles that are offered upon checkin, the maximizer, at a cost of 3 cents per mile. Not the best rate, but a good option if you really want to increase your balance. So for a mileage run you can potentially get up to 5X miles (base+elite+double maximizer purchase and double miles bonuses on select routes)
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:46 pm

I will be at about 825,000 on December 1. I don't have any status, and have never made it. I fly about 15,000 miles a year. Some questions:

1) Is it worth paying $1,000 for 50,000 miles now, to get me closer? I do spend about $500 a year in luggage fees.

2) I have a Bank Direct account which pay me miles every month. Does it make sense to keep any money in my account for the month of November, since the miles usually post in the first few days of December, so they wont count.

3) I heard that you can buy a 2 year cd from bank direct and get miles anyone know how fast they post? Can i wait until November to convert my savings to the CD?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:11 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
Originally Posted by hiijacker
I will be at about 825,000 on December 1. I don't have any status, and have never made it. I fly about 15,000 miles a year. Some questions:

1) Is it worth paying $1,000 for 50,000 miles now, to get me closer? I do spend about $500 a year in luggage fees.
1. The math on this is easy. Buying 50,000 miles will get you at least three years closer to LT Gold. That will save you $1500 in luggage fees. Thus, at $1000 it's a bargain.

Regarding question 2, I think you're right, and 3, depends on how fast they post the miles (I think others have said it's pretty quick?).
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mathlete
Buying 50,000 miles will get you at least three years closer to LT Gold.
I'd also have you look ahead and make your best guess as to whether you'll still be flying AA in three years, or in subsequent years, to spend the money to do that. If you're not flying enough to get elite status on your own each year, would you consider moving to another carrier with lower fares or better routes in years to come? Look at SFO, for instance, where we see weekly threads on routes being cancelled. Are you sure your home airport is safe from any cutbacks and, if not, would you still to continue to fly AA if they did cut back routes?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:54 am

DH is at 825,000 and I'm at 1,500,000. With the 2 credit cards and the spending plus some upcoming travel, I can get him to LTG. I'm also going to try to get myself closer to LTP with the credit cards, Fidelity, SPG transfer, Energy Plus and alot of miscellaneous purchases.

I'll stock up on tons of stuff through the shopping portal and buy gift certificates for places we shop regularly: grocery store, Petco, Costco, etc. Basically, I'm prepaying 2012 expenses. It will be an odd year of shopping with gift cards.

Deb

Last edited by DebBrown; Aug 28, 2011 at 7:15 am
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)

Possibly, but it would be a lot more fun to take 1-2 MR vacations per year to make up the 10K miles. That's what I would do and get some real travel for my money.

Also look into applying for a 75K Citicard unless you are maxed out there.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: AA LTP; SPG Gold

2) I have a Bank Direct account which pay me miles every month. Does it make sense to keep any money in my account for the month of November, since the miles usually post in the first few days of December, so they wont count.

3) I heard that you can buy a 2 year cd from bank direct and get miles anyone know how fast they post? Can i wait until November to convert my savings to the CD?
To me #1 depends on how close you get with #3. If after executing on your above plan and you are still more than a few years away from LTG given your existing travel pattern, I'd say it's a coin toss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.