Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great AA Mileage Race to "D-Day" (MM change day) - 12/1/11

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by alan19
For those of you trying to top off, or get as close as possible before D-Day, please consider donating to charity for miles. Strictly speaking, I know the cpm is not great, but if you factor in taxes and the benefit of your donation to others, I say it's not bad.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ities/main.jsp

Thanks,
Alan
Excellent point, thanks for the reminder. I’ve donated to each of the 3 AA linked charities (USO, Komen, NFCR) several times over the past few years including a donation to each of them earlier this year. Each now offers 10 miles per dollar donated. The tax letters this year from each organization values the miles given in different ways. Komen valued miles at $.0275 if < 6000 miles and $.0250 if > 6000 miles, NFCR at $.0225/mile and the USO letter did not mention the miles at all. Needless to say, the amount of tax deduction is dependent on the value of the miles received.

And I hope no one minds if I shill for the USO. As a veteran myself I have visited several domestic airport USO lounges. While not nearly as nice as an airline lounge, they are a welcome relief from crowded and noisy terminals. The typical USO lounge visitor is an 18 or 19 year old sailor or marine or soldier or airman/airwoman who is still wet behind the ears and whose travel was arranged for them with little regard to waits between flights. For them, often with several hours between connecting flights, these USO lounges are a virtual godsend.

I can also remember being on a aircraft carrier about 25 years ago (when Navy ship crews were all male) and enjoying a show which included Lee Greenwood and a few female dancers, courtesy of the USO. The USO does many, many other outstanding things in support of those who choose to defend our country.

Between the wonderful things the USO does and the lack of mention of the miles given, donating to the USO should be a no brainer for anyone who makes charitable donations and wants to accumulate AA miles. I’ll be calling them again next week.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by kgerickson99
Why the Rush to get to Gold?

I'm lifetime gold and PLAT year to year. "Gold" status isn't worth sacrificing any other program miles for. 80% of the gold benefits were free to everyone 5 years ago. The risk was that AA would eliminate the program, not make it reasonably difficult to obtain. Your better off just adding an additional overseas trip every year and go on a year to year basis until you reach the 1mm.
Here is one example of why... Say a person has a huge number of AA miles from BankDirect, credit cards, etc. and plans to use those for leisure travel after business travel on Continental ends. If that person plans to fly a lot of domestic/Canadian award flights on American, the Gold benefits are a huge plus and the Platinum benefits above Gold are basically non-existant. Travel on award tickets only --> 100% bonus worth nothing. International lounges worth nothing for domestic travel. Priority checked bags worth nothing if travel just with carry on. When that person flys International awards, they will likely be in business or first class, so get lounge access anyway. Why would that person care about Platinum?

Last edited by Flyer737; Aug 27, 2011 at 5:51 am Reason: Added title of quoted section, which contained the question
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD
Go for LT Plat now or wait

I am just under 100k from reaching LT Plat. I have a plan and ability to reach before 12/1. However, would it be better for me get close now but wait until next year to hit 2MM with BIS miles so that I have a longer expiration for the SWUs? Do SWUs awarded for LT Plat have the same expiration rules as EXP qualification?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:26 pm

Confused

I have 2.2MM miles. Do/Should I care about this change?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by curleywolf
However, would it be better for me get close now but wait until next year to hit 2MM with BIS miles so that I have a longer expiration for the SWUs? Do SWUs awarded for LT Plat have the same expiration rules as EXP qualification?
If you cross 2MM in December, your systemwides would be good through February, 2013.

If you cross 2MM in January, or anytime in 2012, your systemwides would be good through February, 2014.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by bob400
If you were planning on using the systemwides that drop into your account at 3MM, yes. If not, no.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:04 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by dwrucklaw
Many are planning on obtaining one or more 75k cc bonuses? How, where, etc. I can only find $30k offer?
Go to the miles buzz forum and search for 75k AA citi

I am just under 100k from reaching LT Plat. I have a plan and ability to reach before 12/1. However, would it be better for me get close now but wait until next year to hit 2MM with BIS miles so that I have a longer expiration for the SWUs? Do SWUs awarded for LT Plat have the same expiration rules as EXP qualification?
I would get close 100k done with citi / SPG and do the last few k after Jan 1
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by bob400
Your Lifetime Platinum status is secure. But it will be much harder for you to hit 3MM and get the bonus upgrades.

I do not know the expiration rules for SWUs, but you are already close enough to 2MM that it doesn't seem to me that you should spend extra money or put extra effort into hitting 2MM before 12/1. You will hit it soon enough anyway.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:03 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I bought 40,000 a few weeks ago when I was getting worried that this could happen at any time. I am now at 996,000+ miles and will clear 1MM when my credit cards post around Septemeber 15th. I'm just feeling lucky that I got in under the deadline, but I'm sorry Mrs. BLG won't get there. She's not very happy about that.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by badgerW
I do not know the expiration rules for SWUs.
You can become familiar with them by reading my post that is three posts above yours. I thought I spelled it out pretty clearly.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I am also under 100k from 2MM, I am plat till 2/2013, so no need to do anythhing crazy/expensive, since even just with BIS miles, i will eventually be at 2MM by 2012. I will also want to plan when I will earn the SWU to maximize the usage timeof the SWU. As Tom911 pointed out, early 2012 qualification gives me until 2/2014!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD
Thanks

Thanks tom911 and ffI for the concise and informative information. FT is awesome! If I knew about it years ago when I practically lived on a bird, I would probably have 4-5 million miles by now. And there's no doubt I would have just thrown up my hands in trying to hit 2MM before 12/1 without FT. But now I am well on my way!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
As Tom911 pointed out, early 2012 qualification gives me until 2/2014!
And if you deliberately cross in January like I did this year with 3MM, those systemwides are good for 26 months.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
i'm at 1.8 on my way to lifetime Plat, currently a AA EXP flyer..? do I have to hurry to get to 2. w new changes,if any?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by sfsilverbear
i'm at 1.8 on my way to lifetime Plat, currently a AA EXP flyer..? do I have to hurry to get to 2. w new changes,if any?

Thanks
Nah. You'll be there in 2 years if you keep EXP for 2 years. Any benefits you have now easily outweigh whatever benefits you would have from LT PLT. And IF you drop down to PLT because of lack of flying, you'll still have PLT for another year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.