Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great AA Mileage Race to "D-Day" (MM change day) - 12/1/11

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveOKC
Am I doing something wrong or did AA just RAISE the price to buy miles (I am not talking about the bonus offer, just the normal one for say 10,000 miles)?
Looks like they might have done. I just checked and it now costs $1100 to buy 40K miles. I could have sworn that it was $1000 for 40K last week ...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by 2millionquest
Looks like they might have done. I just checked and it now costs $1100 to buy 40K miles. I could have sworn that it was $1000 for 40K last week ...
They did raise the price! I almost bought 50k (40k+bonus 10k) for $1000+fees last night (came to ~$1100 total) before the 8/31 expiration on the bonus. Now I get this:

The cost to buy 40,000 miles is $1,212.50
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA 2MM ExP
They did raised the price due to high demand I guess
AA should offer a special deal for people trying to reach the MM, they can cash some good money on this.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:25 pm

You can get AA miles from Points.com -- usually 10K for $100.

However, I believe the max miles transfer from Points.com is only 15K miles.

What is the reason that AA keep such a low mile transfer allowance?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by badgerW
They did raise the price! I almost bought 50k (40k+bonus 10k) for $1000+fees last night (came to ~$1100 total) before the 8/31 expiration on the bonus. Now I get this:
Talk about price gouging! We just went through Hurricane Irene, and the inflated prices weren't this bad!

Originally Posted by phsu
Wait...You can?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by phsu
that is totally inaccurate. You can TRADE miles from another program, eg 24000 Continental One Pass miles, plus $200-300 to receive 10,000 AA miles. I don't see where in the world you're getting the $100 figure.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Since I posted earlier in the week, I have:

1) Joined Netflix - 2500 miles and they posted very fast.

2) Bought a bunch of electronics through the shopping mall that I was going
to buy for the office anyways - that should be 5000 miles

3) Called Citi to see if my nearly year-old AAdvantage CC's had any offers on them. The Business Visa had nothing. The AmEx had "double miles on all American Airlines purchases" which sounded suspicious so I called again today. Today's agent said she saw no such offer from Citi and said maybe it is an offer from AA itself, try calling them. Obviously if such an offer existed, it would be all over FT already. The annual fee on the AmEx is going to hit in November, but I plan to call sooner to cancel the card in the hopes of getting some type of retention bonus.

4) Moved the due date for the Visa up so hopefully November's miles will post before Dec 1 and not a few days after like it usually does.

5) Opened a Bank Direct account but now need to get it funded.

5) Decided to move my mid-December birthday trip up to Thanksgiving weekend. I'm trying to relocate the trip from the Caribbean to Hong Kong to take advantage of the much more significant Platinum bonus. This has been a tough one to get my non-FT husband to understand, he doesn't see why we can't go during Christmas. I'm also keeping an eye on the "Special Offers" page on AA.com to see if any bonus mile destinations are being offered that could fit my travel plans.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:02 am

If AA wanted to really have some fun, they should offer AA miles for redeeming their own AA miles: say 2,500 miles for redeeming 5,000 miles or something silly. Yes that's a 50% loss, but people would drain their accounts of miles to try and get their 1M miles by December.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I don't tell Hubby what I do for miles!

Originally Posted by sent
Since I posted earlier in the week, I have:

1) Joined Netflix - 2500 miles and they posted very fast.

2) Bought a bunch of electronics through the shopping mall that I was going
to buy for the office anyways - that should be 5000 miles

3) Called Citi to see if my nearly year-old AAdvantage CC's had any offers on them. The Business Visa had nothing. The AmEx had "double miles on all American Airlines purchases" which sounded suspicious so I called again today. Today's agent said she saw no such offer from Citi and said maybe it is an offer from AA itself, try calling them. Obviously if such an offer existed, it would be all over FT already. The annual fee on the AmEx is going to hit in November, but I plan to call sooner to cancel the card in the hopes of getting some type of retention bonus.

4) Moved the due date for the Visa up so hopefully November's miles will post before Dec 1 and not a few days after like it usually does.

5) Opened a Bank Direct account but now need to get it funded.

5) Decided to move my mid-December birthday trip up to Thanksgiving weekend. I'm trying to relocate the trip from the Caribbean to Hong Kong to take advantage of the much more significant Platinum bonus. This has been a tough one to get my non-FT husband to understand, he doesn't see why we can't go during Christmas. I'm also keeping an eye on the "Special Offers" page on AA.com to see if any bonus mile destinations are being offered that could fit my travel plans.
He just knows that he can count on me to provide air travel.

He doesn't watch sausage being made either.

Don't forget Groupon for 8 AA miles per $.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by Maui Time
This is pretty aggressive! Do I really see 15 credit cards in this?
You do. And those are the ones that I've already gotten. As of yesterday I applied for another 13 cards and so far have been approved for 6 more (waiting on the rest -- mostly Chase).
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by travelkid
Is it not possible to transfer SPG to someone else AA acct?
If not, due to AA or SPG?

How would AA care as long as they are paid? Many has reported transfer from their SPG to multiple other US accts during Grand Slam, so would there be a difference? Wyndham has reported they accept transfers to other people accts as well.
SPG can xfer between people at the same address for $0 cost (though you should change the address now and make the xfer in 30 days or so).
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by badgerW
Nope. Max of 15k a year (incoming) on account-to-account transfers.
There was a promo for 100k recently.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by ejh25
FYI, Amex rewards has a 25% bonus to transfer from Amex to SPG right now. Still doesn't net a great transfer rate but for this purpose it's worth it to me.
AWESOME! been waiting for this to xfer but I'm waiting "6 to 8 weeks" on the additional bonus points hitting my account so I'm probably screwed
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ckg1999
How long do the miles take to post from the CC offers? Trying to see how long I have to spend that much.

I just want to get *close*.
They basically post within 24 hours of your statement posting. Move your statement up if you want the miles earlier...
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Not directly related, but I wonder who uses Points.com for trades. Even with the 15% bonus it's a total ripoff. I just checked now and I can get 3000 AA miles for trading 10,000 Delta miles and paying a $130 fee. Who would do that?
I used it. My advice is don't take someone else's offer,put your own trade up. 15k for 15k. I did and had it accepted in 12 hours...

Last edited by 2tall4economy; Sep 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.