Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great AA Mileage Race to "D-Day" (MM change day) - 12/1/11

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by scubadu
I think people are losing their minds...

If you did 100 searchs per day, seven days a week, between September 1st and November 30th (disregarding the fact that searchs near 11/30 would not post by the 12/1 cutoff) it would be 3000 miles.

Anyone for which 3000 miles is the difference maker would get there by flying...

Regards
You can only earn a max of 100 miles per month from the toolbar searches.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
You can only earn a max of 100 miles per month from the toolbar searches.
Ah, well there you go, even less impactful on the end game then...

Regards
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Originally Posted by uszkanni
There's a long discussion on BD in this forum but, specifically, a discussion of the early withdrawl penalties can be found HERE starting at around post 820.
Much appreciated uszkanni! I think I'm going to pass on putting $60k in a 2 yr CD there. It'll mean I'll need to earn that amount in base miles after 12/1 but that's ok.

I posted in that thread but it may be useful here for people to see the email response I received this morning about early withdrawal penalties:

Time Account Information: Your account will mature for the term as shown on the face of the Certificate of Deposit. If you withdraw any of the principal before the maturity date, we may impose a penalty. For maturities up to 90 days, the early withdrawal penalty will be 30 days interest plus 3% of the principal amount withdrawn. For maturities greater than 90 days but less than 1 year, the early withdrawal penalty will be 90 days of interest plus 3% of the principal amount withdrawn. For maturities greater than 1 year, the early withdrawal penalty will be 180 days of interest plus 5% of the principal amount withdrawn. The annual percentage yield assumes the interest earned will remain on deposit until maturity. A withdrawal will reduce earnings. This account will automatically renew at the then current rate. You will have 10 days after the maturity date to withdraw funds without penalty. REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE COST OF MILES AWARDED MAY BE REQUIRED IF THE CD TERM IS NOT FULFILLED.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Don't forget Groupon via AA eshopping

8 AA miles per $ spent.

I just donated to the Arlington Life Shelter milk project via Groupon Dallas. http://www.groupon.com/deals/gt-arli..._purchase=true

A $10 donation gets you 80 AA miles which post quickly based on past experience.

Of course you can donate more than $10 (in multiples of $10).

Yes folks, all AA miles count and do add up until 12/1/2011. Even the 100 miles a month for AA eshopping SEARCH and BING search.

I'm trying to get enough AA miles in my account by 12/1/2011 to make it the rest of the way to 2MM by flying over the next couple years.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
All - need some advice.

Sitting at 650kish LT miles. I have 180k SPG points and haven't opened a CitiBank AA card in 4 years. What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by ckg1999
All - need some advice.

Sitting at 650kish LT miles. I have 180k SPG points and haven't opened a CitiBank AA card in 4 years. What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks for the advice!
Simultaneously apply for a Citi Amex and Citi Visa card. Thats 150k miles right there bringing you up to 800k. Now buy 40k miles to receive 50k. Thats 850k.

The rest - you can decide whether its worth parting with 120k of your beloved SPG points.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
All - need some advice.

Thanks for the advice!
I'm sort of in your shoes as far as miles to accumulate to get to the next level. I'm short 400K miles of being Plat for Life. I did the math and to me, it's just not worth the expense to go after it. I don't want to give up all my SPG points, I don't want to buy stuff unnecessarily, etc.

In fact, I've been concentrating on building up my UA/CO miles, so that's where my money will go.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Now buy 40k miles to receive 50k.
He can only buy 40k miles now, since the 25% bonus miles promotion expired last night.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:00 pm

How long do the miles take to post from the CC offers? Trying to see how long I have to spend that much.

I just want to get *close*.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
All - need some advice.

Thanks for the advice!
If you're EXP I would churn a couple of the CITIcards, hold on to SPG points and wait two years to make it BIS. You won't need LT Gold until you drop your business travel anyways.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Could this Amtrak 50% bonus be helpful?

"Buy points and add to your Amtrak Guest Rewards® account to redeem for the reward you’ve been working toward. And if you purchase 5,000 or more Amtrak Guest Rewards points September 1–30, 2011, you’ll automatically receive a 50% bonus on the amount of points purchased."
Will also work if you buy gift points for friends/family.

https://amtrakguestrewards.com/points/buy
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:34 pm

How long do the miles take to post from the CC offers? Trying to see how long I have to spend that much.

I just want to get *close*.
If you get the two Citi AA Personal cards now, and apply for the business card in 60 days, you could rake in ~230K miles. Miles post ~2 days after close of statement. It will be a bit tight but could work out.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by aleksir
If you're EXP I would churn a couple of the CITIcards, hold on to SPG points and wait two years to make it BIS. You won't need LT Gold until you drop your business travel anyways.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks! Always good to get an outsider's view
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Amex to SPG 25% bonus right now

FYI, Amex rewards has a 25% bonus to transfer from Amex to SPG right now. Still doesn't net a great transfer rate but for this purpose it's worth it to me.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:30 pm

Am I doing something wrong or did AA just RAISE the price to buy miles (I am not talking about the bonus offer, just the normal one for say 10,000 miles)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.