Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great AA Mileage Race to "D-Day" (MM change day) - 12/1/11

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
You can become familiar with them by reading my post that is three posts above yours. I thought I spelled it out pretty clearly.
Yes you did. I was typing my reply when yours posted, so I didn't see it until after the fact.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by clockhand
I know this probably varies person to person a lot and probably not possible / meaningful to draw a generic conclusion but how much value do you guys, especially experts here, give to lifetime status?
Not much. It would be welcome if and when it happens, but not worth much trouble or sacrifice.

Originally Posted by clockhand
If I can get $100k-200k until December 2012, does it make sense to get Executive card and put all of these expenses on it?
How would you have charged those expenses before this LT change was announced? If AA miles, then get Executive Card as the miles will count towards LT. If you'd have used SPG Amex, then do just that because those reasons are still valid.

Originally Posted by bob400
I have 2.2MM miles. Do/Should I care about this change?
Not really.

Originally Posted by sfsilverbear
i'm at 1.8 on my way to lifetime Plat, currently a AA EXP flyer..? do I have to hurry to get to 2. w new changes,if any?
If you are an EXP level flyer, you'd make LT Plat in 2 years in normal course. However, for an EXP, what's the rush to get to any kind of Plat, LT or otherwise?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by milehound
Here's a good calculator for transferring points from one program to another:
http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

Such a great calculator.. Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
For a few AA miles 100/75, you can search with Bing.

As mentioned elsewhere on FT, Opinion Place survey can get you a few also with 75, 100, or 125 on offer about every 14 days.

You can write about travel and post photos on www.igoguo.com to collect points that you can trade in for AA miles.

and you can order more dog treats and toilet paper on Drugstore.com
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by milehound
3. Get an Amex card with a Membership Rewards promotion for spending at grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies (double miles), then transfer to SPG, then to AA from SPG.
I'm not sure this suggestion is the best way to earn AAdvantage miles.

Keep in mind to x-fer SPG to get a bonus you need 20k SPG, which at a ratio of 3 MR = 1 SPG that's 60k MR points, at double points, that's $30k spent on fuel & groceries. Here's a few like-by-like comparisons

AXP MR
$30k bonus category spend = 60k MR = 20k SPG = 25k AA

AXP SPG
$30k spend = 30k SPG = 35k AA

Citi AA
$30k spend without promo = 30k AA
$30k spend with 20% bonus promo = 36k AA
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by ItsAllRelative
I don't think anyone's mentioned the ability to ShareAAMiles. Theoretically, if 2 people who were looking to hit LT status, person A can transfer 15K miles to person B. Person B can transfer 15K miles back to person A. Each person spends $180 with a net gain of 0 miles, but lifetime miles will be 15K miles higher. Not that I want to spend $180 for 0 miles, but an idea for those who are close to the threshold.
Below are four options to try to buy yourself closer to lifetime (130k total for $2,690 - not worth it to me, but an option for some)
Buy & Share Miles
  • buyAAmiles - 50k miles for $1,030 (0.0206/mile)
  • giftAAmiles - 40k miles for $1,030 (0.02575/mile)
  • shareAAmiles - 15k miles for $180 ($0.012/mile)
    NOTE: shareAAmiles not incrementally new, just paying 1.2cents to move miles between accounts)

Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® 25k miles for $450 ($0.012857/mile)
I didn't see any first-time cardmember language & if you apply before Dec 2011 the spend on this card through Dec 2012 will count toward lifetime.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:21 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BLG
I bought 40,000 a few weeks ago when I was getting worried that this could happen at any time. I am now at 996,000+ miles and will clear 1MM when my credit cards post around Septemeber 15th. I'm just feeling lucky that I got in under the deadline, but I'm sorry Mrs. BLG won't get there. She's not very happy about that.
What deadline? The program will still exist after 12/1. Being that close you would have gotten there anyway. I'm not sure I understand what you were "lucky" about in this scenario.

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by MyTravels
Below are four options to try to buy yourself closer to lifetime (130k total for $2,690 - not worth it to me, but an option for some)
Buy & Share Miles
  • buyAAmiles - 50k miles for $1,030 (0.0206/mile)
  • giftAAmiles - 40k miles for $1,030 (0.02575/mile)
  • shareAAmiles - 15k miles for $180 ($0.012/mile)
    NOTE: shareAAmiles not incrementally new, just paying 1.2cents to move miles between accounts)

Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® 25k miles for $450 ($0.012857/mile)
I didn't see any first-time cardmember language & if you apply before Dec 2011 the spend on this card through Dec 2012 will count toward lifetime.
I was under the impression that there was a maximum of 40k miles with the buy/gift/share miles combined in a calendar year and not 40k each totalling 120K (or a little extra with the buy bonus miles). Am I incorrect in my understanding of this rule?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I was under the impression that there was a maximum of 40k miles with the buy/gift/share miles combined in a calendar year and not 40k each totalling 120K (or a little extra with the buy bonus miles). Am I incorrect in my understanding of this rule?
I believe there is a 40k limit for buy and gift miles. So I can either buy miles or someone can gift me miles up to 40k a calendar year (the bonus miles don't count towards this). And you can only receive 15k miles from sharing per calendar year.

So the max you can get under this method currently is 65k miles (40k from buying/gifting + 10k bonus + 15k from share)

Hope I'm wrong as I could really use the additional 40k miles from gift.

Last edited by skymatty; Aug 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by skymatty
Hope I'm wrong as I could really use the additional 40k miles from gift.
If you have a credit card that earns AA miles, couldn't you just buy some pricey fully-refundable tickets after your statement closes in November and return them before your December cut-off? If your cutoff date is on or after mid-month, you should have plenty of time to return the tickets; if your cutoff date is at the beginning of the month, this probably wouldn't work.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by singlemalt
If you have a credit card that earns AA miles, couldn't you just buy some pricey fully-refundable tickets after your statement closes in November and return them before your December cut-off? If your cutoff date is on or after mid-month, you should have plenty of time to return the tickets; if your cutoff date is at the beginning of the month, this probably wouldn't work.
When an item purchased with card is returned, miles go back with it :-(
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by brp
What deadline? The program will still exist after 12/1. Being that close you would have gotten there anyway. I'm not sure I understand what you were "lucky" about in this scenario.

Cheers.
I guess what BLG is referring to as 'deadline' is that if he didn't get it before 12/01, collecting 40K BIS miles would have been a lot more expensive / lengthy process.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Good luck to everyone chasing the next MM

I jumped on LT Plat earlier this year (bought a few miles, SPG transfers, etc.) when the Million Miler "glitch" was on aa.com.

I was under 1.5MM in April and my May statement shows over 2MM. I did all of this before the info that we would be given a few months notice, and this caused me to buy/share a few more miles than I needed because I am at almost 2.1MM now.

I did it for the 100% bonus for flight miles as well as priority baggage. I have been on 2 flights since and the priority baggage was nice. Also, some airports (I think SEA) don't show Gold on the list for the elite security checkpoint.

Dan
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98
When an item purchased with card is returned, miles go back with it :-(
Yeah, if the item is returned in the same credit card period as the purchase. But CC miles hit your account a couple of days after your statement cuts off in November. What happens if you pay your bill with a big credit from a return on your December statement? By that time, you'll have already hit your next million miles and have your SWUs. I've never heard of anyone having miles taken out of their Aadvantage account from a credit card issuer (I have for UA). And I can't imagine AA trying to rescind someone's status or take back SWUs - I don't think their system could handle it.

Last edited by singlemalt; Aug 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes, the credit card issurers do take back AA miles for returned merchandise and tickets.

Buying something just to return it is a poor plan.

I cashed in some Bing points for AA miles and they posted in 24 hours.

Tomorrow I'm going out hunting for AA-Dine reward opportunities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.