Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:07 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by wutlol
Does it have Chip and Pin? Last I saw it didn't, which makes it a non-starter for very frequent visits outside the US. There are quite a few stores in Europe that will either refuse to take a standard swipe card or make a huge deal out of it. Having an EMV card makes the process much smoother.
I have an amex plat and the citi exec and both have a chip and sign. I am curious if you are aware of any US cards that are chip and pin as opposed to signature? One of my other cards just converted to chip and sign which as I understand it is the US standard. True? I am an Asia guy and all work there fine.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by saint
The rebate for redeemed miles is nice.
I don't believe this is a feature of the $450 card.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:45 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by Stripy
I don't believe this is a feature of the $450 card.
It was advertised on my promotional materials as such.

Originally Posted by abk
I have an amex plat and the citi exec and both have a chip and sign. I am curious if you are aware of any US cards that are chip and pin as opposed to signature? One of my other cards just converted to chip and sign which as I understand it is the US standard. True? I am an Asia guy and all work there fine.
I apologize, most are set up as chip and sign. I'm used to my UK NatWest cards, which are chip and pin, and used that term interchangeably with EMV. I'm not certain if you can set up a PIN for these and use them as a C&P or not. PenFed offers a true Chip and PIN and sometimes one may use the cash advance PIN on their C&S card successfully.

Swipe is still standard in the US but we are converting to EMV (and thus chip and signature) in the next few years. Standard in Europe is EMV with a preference for chip and pin. Certain automated kiosks will not work with chip and signature alone.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
You need to spend $40k during below period so that the bonus 10K EQM is counted towards EQM earned in 2014.

The period is "after Dec 2013 statement date" and "before Dec 2014 statement date"
Does anyone know what controls the period for which the 10K EQM bonus applies? Is it the statement period when $40K spend is hit or is it when the 10K EQMs are actually posted by AA. It looks like there is at least a one month lag between those events.

So let's say hypothetically I hit $40K in spend sometime during November 2013 (both calendar month AND statement cycle for the sake of argument). And the 10K bonus doesn't actually post to the AA account until 15 Jan 2014.

Is my EQM total retroactively increased for 2013 (year the $40K spend was made) or does it apply to 2014 (when bonus is posted by AA)???
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:19 am

It was advertised on my promotional materials as such.
I'd be very interested to see a copy of those materials if you could post them - this is a benefit that I've always thought should come with this card. Having said that, below is a link to the relevant page on Citi's website and I can't see the 10% rebate mentioned.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...ite-mastercard
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:35 pm

I'd be very interested to see a copy of those materials if you could post them - this is a benefit that I've always thought should come with this card. Having said that, below is a link to the relevant page on Citi's website and I can't see the 10% rebate mentioned.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...ite-mastercard
Can't find it at the moment but I might mistaking it for the reduced mileage chart: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ed_mileage.jsp

I'll contact CS tomorrow and find out.

Last edited by wutlol; Sep 22, 2013 at 3:52 pm
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Herb687
Does anyone know what controls the period for which the 10K EQM bonus applies? Is it the statement period when $40K spend is hit or is it when the 10K EQMs are actually posted by AA. It looks like there is at least a one month lag between those events.

So let's say hypothetically I hit $40K in spend sometime during November 2013 (both calendar month AND statement cycle for the sake of argument). And the 10K bonus doesn't actually post to the AA account until 15 Jan 2014.

Is my EQM total retroactively increased for 2013 (year the $40K spend was made) or does it apply to 2014 (when bonus is posted by AA)???
I had a similar question (not the same) but it was solved by the following my experience. It may apply to others as well.

I had a large spending during December 2012, which I paid in January 2013. I was curious if this spending is counted for 2013 40K bonus qualification. The answer was yes. In my calculation, without this spending, I should hit 40K bonus in October. But CITI counted this into 2013 and hit 40K bonus during summer. I received congratulation email and 10K EQM was delivered to my account at the same time.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by FlyingLion
I had a similar question (not the same) but it was solved by the following my experience. It may apply to others as well.

I had a large spending during December 2012, which I paid in January 2013. I was curious if this spending is counted for 2013 40K bonus qualification. The answer was yes. In my calculation, without this spending, I should hit 40K bonus in October. But CITI counted this into 2013 and hit 40K bonus during summer. I received congratulation email and 10K EQM was delivered to my account at the same time.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, FlyingLion. Appreciate that data point.

I think my scenario will likely be a little bit different though since it looks like your statement date would have been in the same year as the miles posted to AA? Do I have it right that you hit your $40K spend for calendar 2012 in the January 2013 statement cycle?

I'm thinking that in my case both the spend year and statement cycle year would be late 2013 but due to posting lag (people are reporting +/- 1 month from statement date) the EQMs will not actually be posted by AAdvantage until 2014.

Guess the test would be did anyone have an early 2013 posting of EQMs from this card (based on 2012 activity) where the EQMs were retroactively applied by AA to the prior year's EQM total?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:00 pm

Citi Service reported that if one receives an offer for Executive card specifying the 10% Mileage return you get it; otherwise, it doesn't apply.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
I just got my 10k 2 months out FWIW.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:25 am

Citi Service reported that if one receives an offer for Executive card specifying the 10% Mileage return you get it; otherwise, it doesn't apply.
Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of a credit card whose benefits are not the same for all holders. I'll be getting in touch with CS myself as I'd like to know why I'm not getting all the benefits of the card whilst paying the same AF as those who apparently are.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:18 am

Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of a credit card whose benefits are not the same for all holders. I'll be getting in touch with CS myself as I'd like to know why I'm not getting all the benefits of the card whilst paying the same AF as those who apparently are.
I suppose an argument could be made that it is similar to the extra miles one gets if they sign up through a 50,000 mile registration link than a 30,000 mile link.

Do we know if the 10% for the other cards is a permanent feature?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP Life-Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
A couple of notes from my experience this month with the card (which is also my renewal month)....

- 10k EQM took 4 weeks to post from end of August statement close which is when I crossed $40k in spend
- Citi confirmed this is still no date on getting chip & pin vs chip & sign, which I again stressed to them is a bigger and bigger problem overseas
- Was offered and took retention offer of one time $50 statement credit and 2:1 miles on first $500 of any spend for next 16 months

I'll keep my Starwood Amex and Hyatt Visa too but this card will continue to be my primary for first $40k each year and now first $500 each month at minimum.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by Herb687

It is based on what statement period you cross the $40K. If you cross it on your December statement, it will count toward the 2013 Elite qualification even if it doesn't post until January.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
Has any one figured out what the 'Enhanced airport experience' benefit is? I mean as EXP we get majority of those benefit already.

Does the 10K EQM after 40k spend work towards MM status? Didn't see anything on that. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Angust; Sep 28, 2013 at 3:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.