Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by nall
Where have people seen offers with this?
I went back and checked and couldn't find any record of it in my initial card package, so I was quite likely mistaken on believing it was on the promotional materials. My guess is that it has never existed and I was given a canned response.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
retired. moved. got a new job as part time. would not make EXP due to retirement and move. However with 3 cheap MRs and the 10000 EQM will make EXP again this year. Mrs. boerne will be PLT but we know how to work that as we are both LTP or G. We will renew again as long as the 10,000 miles is available. If not we will apply for the AMEX PLT card and fly the best prices.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; Other Stuff
I've heard that with the card you can get reimbursed for Global Entry. Is this true? I don't see it in their official rules.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by flyjackjack
I've heard that with the card you can get reimbursed for Global Entry. Is this true? I don't see it in their official rules.
I believe the Amex PLT is the one that offers this benefit.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by arollins
As well as a couple others, like the Citi Prestige. But not this card.

Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by arollins
Ugh, an AMEX. That would be horrible for international travel
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
As well as a couple others, like the Citi Prestige. But not this card.
Ok, then if I can get AC for 300-350 (renewing Plat or EXP) is there a way I can justify or make up the $100-$150 of value from the card? I won't be doing enough international to chalk up $100 in transaction fees.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Ok, then if I can get AC for 300-350 (renewing Plat or EXP) is there a way I can justify or make up the $100-$150 of value from the card? I won't be doing enough international to chalk up $100 in transaction fees.
Depends how much you value the 10,000 EQM for spending $40k in a year. That $100-$150 is Cheaper than a MR for the last 10,000 EQM, if you were spending the $40k anyways.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Phasers
Depends how much you value the 10,000 EQM for spending $40k in a year. That $100-$150 is Cheaper than a MR for the last 10,000 EQM, if you were spending the $40k anyways.
A MR that would give you 10,000 EQM would probably cost around $600.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Phasers
I usually get my status with segments, not miles. However, I do have two trips to the East this coming year so maybe miles will be my friend. The 10K EQM might be nice, but I would need to land within 10K of that next tier.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Ugh, an AMEX. That would be horrible for international travel
Not at all. I have the AMEX PLT, and have no problems with international use. In fact, since it has a chip (not quite chip-and-pin, but chip-and-signature), it works in some places where other cards don't. Also, no ForEx fees. Great card for international use, in addition to the other benefits.

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by brp
Not at all. I have the AMEX PLT, and have no problems with international use. In fact, since it has a chip (not quite chip-and-pin, but chip-and-signature), it works in some places where other cards don't. Also, no ForEx fees. Great card for international use, in addition to the other benefits.

Cheers.
I had AMEX for a while and it was terrible for foreign travel. How long have you been using it, and in which countries have you had good luck? Maybe I should re-evaluate it as an option.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:32 am

If you're talking about the AA Citi World Elite card, I can't think of any unless you want the 10K EQM benefit. But the AmEx PLT won out over renewing AC membership for me. We actually have a whole thread on AmEx PLT vs AC membership here.

I had AMEX for a while and it was terrible for foreign travel. How long have you been using it, and in which countries have you had good luck? Maybe I should re-evaluate it as an option.
It's been good for me too. It's normally a backup card to my CSP, but last month I was in Copenhagen, Denmark, where the AmEx saved me at the train station at the airport. I had no chip and pin cards, and had a semi-panic attack when I was told they only took chip and pin cards (although I could withdraw cash if I needed, I didn't want to because I was only there for one day). I then saw a woman swipe an AmEx PLT card, and was told AmEx without chip and pin was ok. Same thing happened at the Kobenhavn (Central Railway Station) on the way back to the airport. No credit cards without a pin, unless it's an AmEx (do they not consider AmEx's credit cards or something?).

Just one instance, but the AmEx was really helpful there.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
It's been good for me too. It's normally a backup card to my CSP, but last month I was in Copenhagen, Denmark, where the AmEx saved me at the train station at the airport. I had no chip and pin cards, and had a semi-panic attack when I was told they only took chip and pin cards (although I could withdraw cash if I needed, I didn't want to because I was only there for one day). I then saw a woman swipe an AmEx PLT card, and was told AmEx without chip and pin was ok. Same thing happened at the Kobenhavn (Central Railway Station) on the way back to the airport. No credit cards without a pin, unless it's an AmEx (do they not consider AmEx's credit cards or something?).

Just one instance, but the AmEx was really helpful there.
Good tip. Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:29 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
In Thailand for instance it is not that welcome in fact a lot of the stores and restaraunts actually have signs that say"we prefer MasterCard". In a perfect world I would want a no transaction fee visa/ MasterCard with a chip and an Amex platinum. Unfortunately the aa exec card and the Amex together are costly. To me the Amex is also worth a premium in case you are robbed or need emergency cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.