Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Angust
Has any one figured out what the 'Enhanced airport experience' benefit is? I mean as EXP we get majority of those benefit already.
Group 1 boarding, same as Gold. EXP gets better.
AAdmiral's Club membership. EXP only gets that on international legs, no?

The card is definitely less valuable to those who already have elite status, unless you can take advantage of the 10K EQM.

Speculation about following UA's lead on waiving EQD requirements aside.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Angust
Has any one figured out what the 'Enhanced airport experience' benefit is? I mean as EXP we get majority of those benefit already.

Does the 10K EQM after 40k spend work towards MM status? Didn't see anything on that. Thanks in advance
"The days of waiting in long airport lines are over. Now you can enjoy access to dedicated check-in areas at ticket counters, airport screening lanes and boarding privileges where available. After all, travel is about moving, not standing still."
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by nkedel

The card is definitely less valuable to those who already have elite status, unless you can take advantage of the 10K EQM.

Speculation about following UA's lead on waiving EQD requirements aside.
Just a couple of minor corrections. I believe this card gives you PriorityAAccess (so priority check in and security as well), not just Group 1 boarding.
From the OP:
"• Enhanced airport experience including priority check-in, airport screening and boarding privileges, regardless of the class of service of the cardmember’s ticket"
Also, from post 84:
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
We are happy to share that our Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® cardholders will enjoy the same 25% savings on in-flight purchases as of April 2, 2012; however other new benefits are not available on the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card carries many benefits such as the Admirals Club membership, the ability to earn Elite Qualifying Miles each calendar year, PriorityAAccess, and no foreign transaction fees that are not available on any other Citi® / AAdvantage® card today. Benefits were added to these specific cards as a result of extensive research and customer feedback and each of the Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cards is designed for the unique needs of different types of travelers.
And although EXPs get Admirals Club access when traveling internationally, this card imparts a full AC membership, which is a little different.

IMO, if you want a credit card, there are better ones out there. If you want an AC membership, you can get it for $350 as an EXP. The only real benefit is the 10K EQMs for $40K spend (and the 2 miles/$ on AA purchases, if you don't have the Citi AA Platinum card). Whether those benefits are worth $100 is up to you.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Originally Posted by abk
I have an amex plat and the citi exec and both have a chip and sign. I am curious if you are aware of any US cards that are chip and pin as opposed to signature? One of my other cards just converted to chip and sign which as I understand it is the US standard. True? I am an Asia guy and all work there fine.
I have a US Diner's Club card that is chip and pin but Diner's had been passed around like an orphan and I don't know if they are accepting new applications. I like that they act as primary insurance for rental cars though I know a few other CCs offer that but not AMEX PLT to my knowledge. Annual fee is $95.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by rayfes
I have a US Diner's Club card that is chip and pin but Diner's had been passed around like an orphan and I don't know if they are accepting new applications.
They're not, and frankly, I don't think that they ever will. If they really wanted to, they'd have found a way to do it by now.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:04 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
My statement closed last week and I am not sure if I am going to keep he card so I have not been using it as I don't want any issues if I cancel it. Today I used my Amex plat to enter the admirals club. After she ran it I asked her to see if my "real" membership had expired. When she pulled it up it showed that my membership was valid through12/31/2098. Several of them looked at it and said it was clearly not a lifetime membership and that they had never seen anything like that. Interesting.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by abk
My statement closed last week and I am not sure if I am going to keep he card so I have not been using it as I don't want any issues if I cancel it. Today I used my Amex plat to enter the admirals club. After she ran it I asked her to see if my "real" membership had expired. When she pulled it up it showed that my membership was valid through12/31/2098. Several of them looked at it and said it was clearly not a lifetime membership and that they had never seen anything like that. Interesting.
While interesting, if you had not cancelled your card, you would still have a full AC membership tied to your AAdvantage account, so I don't see why you had to use your AmEx PLT to enter the AC. The expiration date is probably just there so it doesn't need to be renewed every year, and cancelling the card would kind of be like terminating the membership, effective immediately. That's my guess, anyway.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
While interesting, if you had not cancelled your card, you would still have a full AC membership tied to your AAdvantage account, so I don't see why you had to use your AmEx PLT to enter the AC. The expiration date is probably just there so it doesn't need to be renewed every year, and cancelling the card would kind of be like terminating the membership, effective immediately. That's my guess, anyway.
That is a change; last year (around this time, coming up to my annual fee statement) when I entered the AC they told be that my membership was going to be expiring, and asked if I wanted to renew that day.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:25 pm

That is a change; last year (around this time, coming up to my annual fee statement) when I entered the AC they told be that my membership was going to be expiring, and asked if I wanted to renew that day.
How were they expecting you to renew? By paying them the annual fee of the credit card? Or did they not know your membership was through the credit card and wanted you to pay the regular renewal fee for an AC membership?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How were they expecting you to renew? By paying them the annual fee of the credit card? Or did they not know your membership was through the credit card and wanted you to pay the regular renewal fee for an AC membership?
I wasn't expired yet -- and I mentioned that I got my membership through the card, they went (on the order of) "Oh, OK." I never got a definite answer to the question, but I assumed at the time I could have paid the regular renewal fee on whatever card I'd liked there.

I know someone has looked into whether they could cancel the card and pay the renewal fee, and it sounded like a "no," and it's quite possible that something would have fouled up had they tried to renew it, but I wonder whether there may have been some order of "renew first, then cancel" that would have saved me the $50 if I chose to cancel.

I'm due for my annual fee sometime this month and am going to stick with the card one more year, but I am sold on having the AC membership for domestic travel and if I were cancelling would definitely pay up for the renewal.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:59 am

I wasn't expired yet -- and I mentioned that I got my membership through the card, they went (on the order of) "Oh, OK." I never got a definite answer to the question, but I assumed at the time I could have paid the regular renewal fee on whatever card I'd liked there.

I know someone has looked into whether they could cancel the card and pay the renewal fee, and it sounded like a "no," and it's quite possible that something would have fouled up had they tried to renew it, but I wonder whether there may have been some order of "renew first, then cancel" that would have saved me the $50 if I chose to cancel.

I'm due for my annual fee sometime this month and am going to stick with the card one more year, but I am sold on having the AC membership for domestic travel and if I were cancelling would definitely pay up for the renewal.
I see. I was sold on having AC membership for domestic travel as well, but in the end I decided to let my membership expire and get an AmEx Plat card instead. AC access while departing on an AA flight was good enough for me, and it saved me money while offering more benefits. If AA hadn't increased the price of an AC membership, I might've been swayed the other way.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see. I was sold on having AC membership for domestic travel as well, but in the end I decided to let my membership expire and get an AmEx Plat card instead. AC access while departing on an AA flight was good enough for me, and it saved me money while offering more benefits. If AA hadn't increased the price of an AC membership, I might've been swayed the other way.
Given that my domestic travel is mostly with wife and/or kid, the charge for guest with PriorityPass would kill that for me.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:47 am

Given that my domestic travel is mostly with wife and/or kid, the charge for guest with PriorityPass would kill that for me.
Priority Pass comes with the AmEx PLT, but access to Admirals Clubs, DL SkyClubs, and US Clubs are not through Priority Pass.

You get two free guests when accessing AA, DL, and US clubs, and you don't even need a boarding pass for US clubs.

Getting off topic here, but $450 annual fee - $200 "airline incidentals" (which I turned into gift cards) really made it a no brainer for me.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Can anyone confirm if this card provides Group 1 or Priority AAccess boarding?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by wutlol
Citi Service reported that if one receives an offer for Executive card specifying the 10% Mileage return you get it; otherwise, it doesn't apply.
Where have people seen offers with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.