Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:38 pm

Please forgive my ignorance- I have a very basic question. I would like to begin building status with American Airlines and as part of beginning to travel exclusively on AA would like to get a Citi AA credit card to accrue miles and am considering the Citi Executive card. If I join and spend $40,000 between now and, say, November, and the 10,000 EQM are awarded- this only helps me if I am 10,000 miles short of qualifying for gold status in 2013, correct? According to the T&Cs it appears status is based on a year's accrual, so if this 10,000 bonus is credited for 2013 and won't help me in 2014. I ask because my 2 future flights this year are both on United and I only plan to fly one short flight to Central America on AA which won't build any miles for 2013. I want the 10,000 EQM awarded for $40,000 to count toward 2014 when I plan on flying AA at least 15,000 miles to gain gold status. We flew to South American on AA in December and participated in a special offer: Double Miles, Double Thanks promotion. This was supposed to award double elite status qualifying miles/points. The points showed up on our February 2013 mileage statement and then disappeared. Usless. Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by peregrin
Please forgive my ignorance- I have a very basic question. I would like to begin building status with American Airlines and as part of beginning to travel exclusively on AA would like to get a Citi AA credit card to accrue miles and am considering the Citi Executive card. If I join and spend $40,000 between now and, say, November, and the 10,000 EQM are awarded- this only helps me if I am 10,000 miles short of qualifying for gold status in 2013, correct? According to the T&Cs it appears status is based on a year's accrual, so if this 10,000 bonus is credited for 2013 and won't help me in 2014. I ask because my 2 future flights this year are both on United and I only plan to fly one short flight to Central America on AA which won't build any miles for 2013. I want the 10,000 EQM awarded for $40,000 to count toward 2014 when I plan on flying AA at least 15,000 miles to gain gold status. We flew to South American on AA in December and participated in a special offer: Double Miles, Double Thanks promotion. This was supposed to award double elite status qualifying miles/points. The points showed up on our February 2013 mileage statement and then disappeared. Usless. Thanks for any help.
Essentially you have it.

Your flight from last December would not have counted for either this year or next year. You can get the card this year, if the sign up bonus works for you, but if you want the credit card elite qualifying miles to count for in 2014 (for elite status until early 2016), you will have to do your spending for the full $40K in 2014 calendar year.

Last edited by ckpeter; Jul 14, 2013 at 10:29 am Reason: typo on elite validity
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rxlawdude
When I first started using the card in late 2011, the AC receptionists didn't know what to do with it. As they became more familiar over the next couple of months, they explicitly did NOT want to see the card -- they need your AAdvantage # and a picture ID. I've not pulled the card out in ages.

Bob.
I've had the World Elite card since late 2011 as well. Initially, I used to present the card itself when entering the AC and fortunately never had a problem gaining admission with it (although I remember reading many accounts of people having trouble getting into the AC in the early days of the card's existence).

A few months after I began using it, there were some occasions when the AC AAngel mentioned that she couldn't read my FF# off the card, which had begun to rub off from use. It occurred to me that, since they were just looking for my FF#, my AC membership was actually noted in the system, and they really didn't need the credit card itself, just my AAdvantage account info.

After that, I stopped presenting my CC and started giving them my AA elite card instead. My FF# is clearly visible on that, and it turns out that they don't actually need to try read the number that way... they can just swipe my EXP card. I've never had a problem with this method.

The only caveat for new cardholders is that I don't know how significant the delay is between applying for and receiving the World Elite card and the subsequent updating of AC club membership status on one's AAdvantage account.

Last edited by metallo; Jul 14, 2013 at 1:58 am
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I believe only BP is enough to recognize our AC membership as far as AA# on BP.
I was allowed to enter ACs only with BP many times.
But interestingly, whenever I showed the exec cc card, almost all angels did swipe the card.
I guess doing that is easier for them for the processing.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:59 am

Thanks so much, ckpeter.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:30 am

Thanks so much, ckpeter.
Sure.

Please note that I made a small mistake in my original post - If you qualify during 2014 calendar year, your elite status should be good all the way to early 2016.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:08 am

You need to spend $40k during below period so that the bonus 10K EQM is counted towards EQM earned in 2014.

The period is "after Dec 2013 statement date" and "before Dec 2014 statement date"

Last edited by supergrandslam; Jul 14, 2013 at 11:14 am
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:39 am

Thank you again, ckpeter. Many thanks, also, to supergrandslam.

This information is very helpful.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: IC RA, AA EXP
The entire 10000 EQM has been a pain for me. Citi wont give me any straight answers and direct me to AA. AA directs me to ask Citi.

I crossed the spend last month, how long will my miles take to post? No one knows!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by grompf
The entire 10000 EQM has been a pain for me. Citi wont give me any straight answers and direct me to AA. AA directs me to ask Citi.

I crossed the spend last month, how long will my miles take to post? No one knows!
There are some data points, mine included, in this thread but they are not consistent.
Mine was posted at the same time the usual RDM posted, i.e. 2 days after CC statement.
Some(but very few) even got 10K EQM before the statement close.
Majority of people got 2-8 weeks after the statement as far as I checked the data points sometime ago.

As the bonus 10K EQM doesn't show in the mileage activity as a separate line item, we need to check year-to-date EQM manually.
We receive the congrats email but it is usually sent after the 10K EQM posted.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:09 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
My card is up for renewal and I am having a hard time digesting the $450 fee ( I also have amex platinum). Anybody have any experience getting a fee reduction at renewal?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
My renewal is in Oct.

Given the move to qualifying spend on the other two majors, I am holding onto my card for one more year rather than going to a paid AC membership, in case the same tradeoff of spend on the card for EQD happens on AA.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by abk
My card is up for renewal and I am having a hard time digesting the $450 fee ( I also have amex platinum). Anybody have any experience getting a fee reduction at renewal?

Nope. I don't think they are waiving the fee for anyone. I have been a CitiGold customer for a while and they said they aren't waiving/reducing the annual fee on the card.

I'm also AMEX Platinum so I don't need it to enter the Admiral's Clubs but I never cancelled it. I still spend enough abroad in places that don't take AMEX that it's still worth the annual fee. I save more than that in Forex fees. The rebate for redeemed miles is nice as well as the 7,500 reduced mileage awards.

I know there are cheaper options out there to avoid the forex fees but I spend a lot abroad and I'd rather earn AA miles vs. other types of loyalty points.

Last edited by saint; Sep 21, 2013 at 11:46 am
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:43 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I started using the southwest chase visa to get a companion pass by charging and for $85 or so it also has no foreign transaction fees.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by abk
I started using the southwest chase visa to get a companion pass by charging and for $85 or so it also has no foreign transaction fees.
Does it have Chip and Pin? Last I saw it didn't, which makes it a non-starter for very frequent visits outside the US. There are quite a few stores in Europe that will either refuse to take a standard swipe card or make a huge deal out of it. Having an EMV card makes the process much smoother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.