Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Using the Citi Executive AAdvantage MC

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Too bad Costco doesn't accept the Citi Executive MC which on top of everything else, gives you AA miles towards RDM and Million Miler status!
This was noted on another thread a couple of weeks back: you can use the Citi Executive AAdvantage MC at Costco.com to buy Costco gift cards, and then use the gift cards in the store to buy the AA GC's. That way you get the MMM's from the MC purchase as well.

AAmlgm8r
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Just stopped in at the Costco in Bakersfield - Panama Lane warehouse and told not only do they NOT have them, but it's not even in their computer which means none in the district has them. I was told the district runs from Goleta to Fresno.

FYI

Feel free to prove me & the BFD returns clerk wrong.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Glenview as well in illinos
The Costco in Mettawa, IL had them today. It is the first time that I saw them in this store.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AAmlgm8r
This was noted on another thread a couple of weeks back: you can use the Citi Executive AAdvantage MC at Costco.com to buy Costco gift cards, and then use the gift cards in the store to buy the AA GC's. That way you get the MMM's from the MC purchase as well.

AAmlgm8r
Thanks. Didn't realize that, just need them to go on sale in Austin now!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Top-level Costco membership gives 2% cash back on almost all purchases (limit $500 back annually). Plus extra discounts on check printing, etc.

Costs about $110 a year. I find it very worthwhile.

Oak Brook had 100+ on Friday. Front end manager told me they are selling TONS. And all the street construction out front is done!

Ten fewer now, at least.
Interesting. Never knew this. Maybe I should get the top-level Costco Membership. I guess the 2% adds up.

Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Interesting. Never knew this. Maybe I should get the top-level Costco Membership. I guess the 2% adds up.

Thanks.
And when I signed up, the Costco employee said that at the end of the year, if the rebate check was $50 or more, you could just cancel the executive part of the membership and get the extra $50 fee back. So far my check's always been greater than that, but in case that's actually correct, nice to have a safety net.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:59 pm

But since you can pay at Costco with any Amex credit card, it's back to a comparison of whether 2% cash back is better or whatever rewards your Amex gives you, like 1 MR point per dollar for most charge cards.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
Yes....

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is this the Marina Del Rey location next to the Albertson's? (at least it says Marina Del Rey on their receipts)

If so, awesome! I live closer to that one than the Hawthorne branch.
Yes!

I too use a AMX card at Costco - The Citi bank AMX with 1.2 AA miles for the purchase - forgot about that benefit. My refunds on my Costco card range from $250+ a year up to the Max. Great deal, for me always pays for itself.

Last edited by Cannonball Run; Dec 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm Reason: added info
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lili
I've just realized Mr. lili is collecting 2% for all my Costco purchases - including a whole lot of AA gift cards!
He has been keeping that secret, huh? Ha!

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Too bad Costco doesn't accept the Citi Executive MC which on top of everything else, gives you AA miles towards RDM and Million Miler status!
It will cost you 1.2%, but you can go to a supermarket and buy $500 Amex gift cards with any CC. Fee is $6. Then use those at Costco. No problem.

I discovered Friday you have to wait 70 minutes for them to register in the computer.

There is also a Target Amex card I have yet to investigate. $3 to buy for $500, IIRC. Then you can reload with any CC.

Or do the online trick mentioned above

Last edited by toomanybooks; Dec 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Just stopped in at the Costco in Bakersfield - Panama Lane warehouse and told not only do they NOT have them, but it's not even in their computer which means none in the district has them. I was told the district runs from Goleta to Fresno.

FYI

Feel free to prove me & the BFD returns clerk wrong.
I had never seen them in any Fresno Location, although my vision may have been clouded by the sauce from the free tri-tip samples accidentally smeared on my glasses...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
But since you can pay at Costco with any Amex credit card, it's back to a comparison of whether 2% cash back is better or whatever rewards your Amex gives you, like 1 MR point per dollar for most charge cards.
You don't understand what is being said. I am a top level Costco member. At the end of the year, Costco mails me a check (valid at Costco) for 2% of my year's purchases at Costco - no matter what credit card I have used to buy them. I use a Hilton Amex card, but you can use any card accepted by Costco. I take that check to Costco, and they knock that much off my next purchase.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
You don't understand what is being said. I am a top level Costco member. At the end of the year, Costco mails me a check (valid at Costco) for 2% of my year's purchases at Costco - no matter what credit card I have used to buy them. I use a Hilton Amex card, but you can use any card accepted by Costco. I take that check to Costco, and they knock that much off my next purchase.
Okay. Understood. I didn't know what was being said. I thought the 2% was the Costco Amex TrueEarnings reward. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still just a member under my parents' account, so I never see any of that.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I thought the 2% was the Costco Amex TrueEarnings reward.
Oddly, the Costco True Earnings card only earns 1% cashback at Costco (except more for gas); Costco should look at upgrading that IMO. I always use ANY other Amex first, usually an Amex GC purchased at the grocery store.

Originally Posted by gemac
...At the end of the year, Costco mails me a check (valid at Costco) for 2% of my year's purchases at Costco - no matter what credit card I have used to buy them. I use a Hilton Amex card, but you can use any card accepted by Costco. I take that check to Costco, and they knock that much off my next purchase.
Or you can cash the annual check at the service counter and then use your Amex to accrue even more points on that next purchase.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Dec 20, 2011 at 6:30 am
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:18 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I was in Riverside yesterday, so I went to the Costco across from Ontario Mills yesterday evening. For the record, it's the Rancho Cucuamonga Costco.

Went to the area where they have all the gift cards and couldn't find it. Then I asked the floor personnel where they were, and they told me that they didn't carry them. Thank goodness that I didn't trust them and leave. I continued to wander the store, and found an area about 100 feet from the entrance where they also had gift cards, and there were a bunch of AA gift cards in that area. So I bought a few and left. But they still have a whole bunch left.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA-Gold, IC-Amb
Torrance, CA location now has cards

The Torrance, CA (Skypark Drive) location now has the cards. Big display at the front of the store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.