Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, US, SPG, Hilton, Avis
So Cal

Plenty left @ Los Feliz

Azusa dosn't carry them.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
This the one right by the Leaning Tower YMCA?
Yep. They had these large cardboard product items in an end-cap display to bring up to the cashier. There was no actual card on them. They just yell to some other guy up front to bring a couple out from the office.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by clark_addison
Yep. They had these large cardboard product items in an end-cap display to bring up to the cashier. There was no actual card on them. They just yell to some other guy up front to bring a couple out from the office.
Interesting they have them now, they didn't have them when I went there back in November. They even "double-checked" their system.

Next time I visit family in a couple of months I will certainly pick a few up.

Thanks...^
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Oak Brook (IL) Costco has them and moves the placards around. I have seen them at back left near paper products, mid-front center near the checkout, and front right across from the computers.

All you need is the number 576515. Was told by the front end manager that this has been a trial and, if they deem it successful, Costco and AA will roll it out more and more nationwide. He told me they have sold immense numbers of them at his store.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
South Francisco Costco (near the Bart station) has them. (around 40)

Just for anybody wondering...
This Costco is accessible via Bart ($13.80 r/t) + walking (maybe 5~10 mins?)

I was able to get off SFO at 10:50, walk into the Costco 11:20, walk out with gift cards at 11:40 (long lines in Sunday!), return to SFO at 12:10, standby and catch 13:40 flight returning to DFW.

I think it is not a bad idea for people doing MRs between DFW-SFO, get some Californian breeze instead of sitting at the AC.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
With the DEL flight going away, it's good to know that these gift cards work on OW flights booked on AA as well as any AA codeshares.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:08 pm

Besides Seattle (store #1), Issaquah still has 50+ cards available for those in the greater Seattle area.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Sunnyvale Costco (Lawrence Expressway)

The Sunnyvale, CA location still has 125, which reflects the ones I just bought.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Xero
With the DEL flight going away, it's good to know that these gift cards work on OW flights booked on AA as well as any AA codeshares.
A couple of months ago I booked BA flights on aa.com and was not offered the chance to use the gift cards. New behavior or did I just get HAL in a bad mood? [but my BA flight did not originate in the U.S.]

Last edited by JohnAx; Jan 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm Reason: add info
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by JohnAx
A couple of months ago I booked BA flights on aa.com and was not offered the chance to use the gift cards. New behavior or did I just get HAL in a bad mood? [but my BA flight did not originate in the U.S.]
The terms of AA gift cards require origination in the US, which could explain why.

Gift Cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American EagleŽ and the AmericanConnectionŽ carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Evertt / Boston

Just bought five of these in Everett Costco in Boston.

I guess this is cheap financing for AA while they are in bankruptcy...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA 2MM,Marriott, Hilton
Picked up a few more today in So SFO (near the airport) after some flights. The guy at the cage where you pick them up said they have a lot in stock and added the most recent memo he saw indicated Costco would be carrying these for quite awhile longer. Hope he right.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
The terms of AA gift cards require origination in the US, which could explain why.
Aware of the stipulation, but the poster I was replying to had stated that they were good on [other] OW carriers, and codeshares, so I was hoping someone would either disagree with that assertion or quote a new set of conditions that included it.

Other folks are clearly finding good use for these, but for my travel patterns I find that AA is more than 10% more expensive than the competition, even AS which confers most (all, except AA segments?) of the FF benefits that an AA flight would earn.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Aware of the stipulation, but the poster I was replying to had stated that they were good on [other] OW carriers, and codeshares, so I was hoping someone would either disagree with that assertion or quote a new set of conditions that included it.

Other folks are clearly finding good use for these, but for my travel patterns I find that AA is more than 10% more expensive than the competition, even AS which confers most (all, except AA segments?) of the FF benefits that an AA flight would earn.
Perhaps this full quote will explain why.

Gift Cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American EagleŽ and the AmericanConnectionŽ carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworldŽ partner or AA* Codeshare flight. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.
Looks like you can book AA or OW or AA codeshare, but your flight originating outside of the US will not be payable with a gift card.

The full terms are available at: https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:46 pm

South FL?

Anybody know of availability in South Florida?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.