Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:46 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
What would you like to see? A confession from the FA? A formal AA investigation report? Will those suffice as incontrovertible evidence? Probably not.
I suspect that a "confession" would "suffice" but I believe that you are missing his point.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:52 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by The Passenger in Question
if they had literally millions of frequent flyer miles with this airline, as I do.
In my eyes, this touch of DYKWIA colors the situation just a wee bit.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I agree with you, but wouldn't that apply to quite a few threads on the AA forum? IMO, very few threads would survive that level of strict scrutiny.
True enough. However, there are enough threads where someone is looking for help, to understand something better, or to give people a heads up about something that make it worthwhile. It's the complaining and the "-est" threads that are killing me right now. For whatever reason we've been inundated with newbies that want to start threads about roads well traveled. As LoneStarMike points out, there's at least 3 other ACTIVE threads about this incident and there's been at least 2 other threads on the AA forum that have been locked.

Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
The OP most likely meant to link to this version of the story.
I think the discussion value is that it's a PR Failure

Thanks a lot for the link!

I do agree with you that there is some discussion value in the PR failure aspect. However, even there there's not a whole lot to discuss since either AA had a flight attendant have a psychotic break during the flight or she had a severe customer relations issue. Either way, I don't know that AA is really at liberty to say a whole lot publicly about it for a whole variety of reasons. As much as I believe the passengers in the story, we don't know (and will never know) both sides. This aspect makes the discussions about Helen's actions fruitless, IMO.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I wouldn't be surprised if the F/A just walks in and quits now that she's been identified (at least by first name) and will likely be the target of criticism if she continues to fly. Give it a few days and see if that doesn't happen.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
I wouldn't be surprised if the F/A just walks in and quits now that she's been identified (at least by first name) and will likely be the target of criticism if she continues to fly. Give it a few days and see if that doesn't happen.
I wouldn't be too sure. An active AA FA has said on a different forum that this may the same FA who has been fired twice for telling passengers to go **** themselves. Both times, the FA union has been successful in getting the FA reinstated. Normal people might quit in shame. Psychotics, not so much.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Well, it's also being discussed in Newsstand as well as Travel Safety/Security
The Newsstand thread contains the original thread posted on the AA forum. It was merged into a thread started on the same topic in that forum.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:08 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Wow....

First, I would like to sincerely thank all of the hard-working AA FAs. I always fly First Class, and I would say that 95% (at least) of the FAs are very nice.

As far as this incident, I do not know all of the facts. Having said that, I would have to say that I believe every word of the pax story.

Especially since at least 4 other pax came to his defense and (some) even missed their connections to speak to the CSM.

Also, there is no way someone from AA Mgmt. in Exec Office is going to personally call multiple pax to apologize if there was no issue.

This FA really needs to rethink her career, and probably should not be flying at all.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by emma dog
It's the complaining and the "-est" threads that are killing me right now. For whatever reason we've been inundated with newbies that want to start threads about roads well traveled. As LoneStarMike points out, there's at least 3 other ACTIVE threads about this incident and there's been at least 2 other threads on the AA forum that have been locked.
I've been noticing a lot of exasperation among FT regulars and you remarked that "threads that are killing me right now." Maybe you and the others who are experiencing the high level of frustration need to take a break from FT or just avoid those threads. Hey, you can often see from the title that it's going to boil your blood, so just say "no."

We all know that this is the time of year when more newbies tend to join and post in FT and that newbies tend to post what are old stories to us, because it's new to them.

Back to the investigation, I find it discussion-worthy purely for the PR-handling aspects. There was a recent article where AA mentioned that it avoids some of the bad PR like UA's guitar guy, because AA monitors and deals with Internet blog posts before they've reached the infamy of UA's broken guitar.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Unfortunate PR event for AA.

Is the captain who has the authority to issue the warning? It seems that the captain issued the warning by only taking the FA's account.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by n3farious
It's a regulation that some FA don't follow as well. Many don't turn off (power down) their phones, and I've watched FA text away as the plane rolls down the runway.
Touche'.
I agree. Two wrongs dont make it right.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ilovetofly

Is the captain who has the authority to issue the warning? It seems that the captain issued the warning by only taking the FA's account.
Is the captain supposed to convene a kangaroo court mid flight?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ilovetofly

Maybe a crewmember can speak up to this. It doesn't seem like the Captain has the time and ability to investigate this mid-air. For all they know, this is a diversion attempt to get the pilots to step out of the cockpit and take control of the plane. It seems to me that giving out a "detention notice" is a way for AA to escalate the situation and put it in black and white for a passenger to truly understand that they're going to be in big trouble in a minute if things keep up. Somewhere between a verbal warning and the airplane diverting unnecessarily.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Good to hear that AA is looking into this. If the events are 100% true, I hope Helen never sees the inside of AA aircraft again.

With that said, I hope the captain gets his hand slapped (maybe even suspended for a little while) as well. It sounds like giving out one of these pieces of paper is a serious thing. As such, he should have done something to investigate or get more information. It sounds like he just wrote it and was done with it. Not good.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT (trying to find away to EXP, SPG Gold
The system is working...

The OP most likely meant to link to this version of the story.

Well, it's also being discussed in Newsstand as well as Travel Safety/Security

I think the discussion value is that it's a PR Failure

Also, in the passenger's account (link posted by Bmoney the passenger notes (emphasis added)

He asks for orange juice, she launches into a one-minute tirade about how now is not the proper time in her service to ask for that, and then when he tells her she's being condescending, he gets slapped with a federal warning? That's an abuse of power, IMO.

The incident did make a pretty good Country & Western song, though.

AA Orange Juice Song
The articles clearly state that AA service rep was there when the flight landed to take statements. AA is investigating the incident so I do not think this was a PR failure in fact it shows the system is working.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by AAnimeGuy
The articles clearly state that AA service rep was there when the flight landed to take statements. AA is investigating the incident so I do not think this was a PR failure in fact it shows the system is working.
I still think it's a PR failure. The AA rep was probably only there because it seems like this piece of paper is a serious deal. They (AA) are probably required by the FAA to ensure nothing serious happened on board the aircraft. AA originally blew it off until people stepped up and started saying "..Wait a minute.."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.