Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Asking For Orange Juice On American Airlines May Violate Federal Law

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

From The Consumerist:

Something went very wrong on American Airlines flight 614 from Sacramento to Dallas this Sunday, December 6th. An American Airlines stewardess having an extremely bad day flipped the frak out on a first class passenger for asking for a glass of OJ and gave him a written warning from the captain for, "threatening, intimidating, or interfering with a crewmember."

Link
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On a recent flight from MIA to PTY on AA, I encountered one of the most unpleasant, snarly, disagreeable FA's I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. He was the carbon copy of the FA mentioned in the OP, sarcastic and clearly unhappy with his job and made no bones about it. Upon departing the aircraft, several passengers complained to the purser, who no doubt did nothing with the information.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. I hope to never be on a flight with "Helen."
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In recent years I have had the feeling that the airlines and its employees see me as a burden instead of a paying customer.

Perhaps one of the reasons people are avoiding air travel.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Whoa, this woman is so volatile. I am sure that AA has had complaints against her before, why hasn't she been fired?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Just earlier today I saw on another forum where a FA was crowing about filing a formal report, and getting the Ground Security Coordinator at her airline involved because someone was rude to her.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:55 pm

I'm guessing that Helen's relationship with American Airlines has just ended. She sounds a bit too unstAAble. Everyone has bad days, but I think she blew it.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
Whoa, this woman is so volatile. I am sure that AA has had complaints against her before, why hasn't she been fired?
Unions.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Or maybe management has not received any complaints, or been able to properly document them, in order to take disciplinary action. Do you see anything in the article about anyone taking the time to file a complaint with AA?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:45 pm

Seriously. Put ghostriders on every flight. If they're even the slightest bit rude to a customer, then fire them. Immediately.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Seriously. Put ghostriders on every flight.
AA and Eagle have almost 900 aircraft. How much extra are you willing to pay for your ticket to put ghostriders on every flight, and how many additional employees (thousands?) would such a program entail?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
Might have bumped into her years ago on a flight into Joplin, MO. A fine piece of work with a really bad attitude, if was the same woman.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
Or maybe management has not received any complaints, or been able to properly document them, in order to take disciplinary action. Do you see anything in the article about anyone taking the time to file a complaint with AA?
On your next flight, check & see how many FA's have hidden their badges & name tags as soon as boarding start. Look for lanyards w/the AA ID badges unclipped or turned around backwards or tucked into pockets; they pretty much all do it now. I even saw one who, I kid you not, tried to color over her name on her apron (didn't work, btw) Then ask why they are doing this-so they can't be ID'd by the pax they are being rude to. How is it AA is allowing this kind of behavior? I know I've written to AA about this, but never gotten a response. I'm not asking for a copy of each FA's DL, but if AA is serious about customer service, they need to change this behavior. How many other employers allow their staff to do this when interaction w/the public is part of the job? Not many & please spare me an 'post-9/11' BS; if the FA's are that afraid of their paying customers, they need to seek other employment.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:30 pm

So, there is a dark side to flying first class...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by txrus
On your next flight, check & see how many FA's have hidden their badges & name tags as soon as boarding start. Look for lanyards w/the AA ID badges unclipped or turned around backwards or tucked into pockets; they pretty much all do it now.
If you’re talking about photo ID badges, they are for entrance into secure areas, identification for non-reving, etc. Some airlines even have a policy that these badges should *not* be visible onboard the aircraft. Now if a FA is hiding or not wearing a name tag that is designed to identify them by name to the PAX, that’s another story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.