Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:15 pm

Sort of reminds me of a time...

When I was in 5B on an MD80 to ORD. 5A asked for me to stand so he could get by me to use the rest room. I was watching a video on my handheld device and reflexively stood up -- not looking towards the front of the plane where the FA had the cart blocking the isle. The FA excitedly motioned for me and 5A to get back in our seats, then came back and scolded us (as if we're supposed to be experts on airline security protocol! sheesh! we didn't know; just ask us to remain seated while the Captaion took care of his business and all would have been fine).

After a few minutes passed, another FA came to the front. 5E rose and went to the galley to speak with them.

The first FA went to the back of the plane, the second FA came and apologized and 5E sat back down. He then identified himself as an AA customer service manager, apologized and gave 5A his card.

Well handled by AA.

FA's can go nuts in flight. It's rare, but can happen. Thank goodness for witnesses and others on board with level heads.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yep, true - and fortunately far and few between.

One ASA FA told her captain "you're dead" as she was busted for FUI.

A male FA is busted in front of pax for having 8 times the legal blood alcohol limit.

Another FA is busted for inappropriately touching and talking to a 16 year old.

An FA is busted for attempting to smuggle two firearms through security.

Etc. etc. And a very few will get weird and lose control - I have seen a very few instances, and experienced one or two, in ~60 of flying. And I have seen hundreds, if not thousands, of FAs do their job well and even a few instances where they saved a life. But they hardly ever get a media mention.

I do agree - your situation was handled appropriately and summarily, in the end.

Originally Posted by AArlington
When I was in 5B on an MD80 to ORD. 5A asked for me to stand so he could get by me to use the rest room. I was watching a video on my handheld device and reflexively stood up -- not looking towards the front of the plane where the FA had the cart blocking the isle. The FA excitedly motioned for me and 5A to get back in our seats, then came back and scolded us (as if we're supposed to be experts on airline security protocol! sheesh! we didn't know; just ask us to remain seated while the Captaion took care of his business and all would have been fine).

After a few minutes passed, another FA came to the front. 5E rose and went to the galley to speak with them.

The first FA went to the back of the plane, the second FA came and apologized and 5E sat back down. He then identified himself as an AA customer service manager, apologized and gave 5A his card.

Well handled by AA.

FA's can go nuts in flight. It's rare, but can happen. Thank goodness for witnesses and others on board with level heads.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by NYC96
3.5 years ago? USAirways doesnt have CHAMPAGNE. How'd that happen?
It's not newsworthy.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
Way to stay classy Delta. Should AA offer Gold status and send out a press release to those passengers on the DL/NW flight that overshot MSP by 100 miles or to the passengers on the DL plane that landed on the taxi way?
Delta didn't issue a press release. That headline is from a blog posting on the consumerist.com
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:01 pm

Well handled by AA.

FAs are trained to act quickly and aggressively if a passenger appears to be making a sudden move while the cockpit door is opening. It could have been much, much worse for you. Next time make sure you look around before you stand up in first.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
Delta didn't issue a press release. That headline is from a blog posting on the consumerist.com
Ok, I stand corrected, not a "press release", just a letter to the media offering Gold to anyone quoted in the article. Still to Delta.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by able
FAs are trained to act quickly and aggressively if a passenger appears to be making a sudden move while the cockpit door is opening. It could have been much, much worse for you. Next time make sure you look around before you stand up in first.
How is a passenger supposed to know that, particularly an infrequent flyer since the TSA nor the airlines make no attempt to educate the passengers on this particular practice?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by sukn
How is a passenger supposed to know that, particularly an infrequent flyer since the TSA nor the airlines make no attempt to educate the passengers on this particular practice?
All this must seem pretty random to the occasional traveler.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Simply standing up shouldn't count. I've been in a similar situation a couple of times this year on DL 757s. F pax are allowed to use the lav in the Y cabin while the flight crew is using the forward lav with FAs and cart blocking the aisle. The FAs watch closely and make it clear we are not to move forward but aren't trigger happy simply when we stand up. If the rule is that you can't stand up at all (to get something overhead or stretch legs) they should make an announcement to that effect when the flight crew needs to use the lav.

Too bad this guy has become to be known as the "OJ" pax or "OJ Guy" although it would make a great handle should he join FT.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
ModSpeak On

Looks like this topic has started to pick up steam again, so the AA mods want it back.

Since it's being well-discussed, I'll be parking a redirect here for a while so everyone can find the discussion.

ModSpeak Off
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:20 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by sukn
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
All this must seem pretty random to the occasional traveler.
[not counting the recent leak of TSA procedures]
The TSA has maintained that it doesn't have to explain its procedures because that would be exposing information that terrorists could use against us. So on one had they withhold publicizing the procedures and rules for when a pilot needs to use the lav or just leave the cockpit. Fine. On the other hand FAs need to follow the TSA's procedures set forth. This causes a disconnect.

The answer is for the FAs to understand our ignorance on these procedures and censor themselves when tempted to lash out at a pax who (unknowingly) violates the rules. It would be different if this procedure were included in the safety demonstration. But it isn't. It is possible to be firm without being rude.

Kudos to the AA customer service manager. I hope he firmly but politely explained to the offending FA why the reaction was inappropriate.

The TSA has gotten a bit better at being firm but polite when it comes to liquids, shoes, boarding passes, etc at the security check-points. They've been told that not everyone knows the rules. The big difference between check-point procedures and pilot-lav procedures is that the former is well publicized as one approaches the check-points. So I can understand why a TSA agent would be frustrated with people who continue to bring liquids through the check-points. I don't agree with the liquid rule and I don't condone any TSA agent being rude about it but I can understand why a TSA agent would roll their eyes at people who somehow miss the signs, videos, and PA announcements explaining the rules. However, FAs can't fall back on this as a justification for being frustrated with pax on the lav issue.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:35 am

I do now . But passengers shouldn't have to know the details of airline security procedure. FAs shouldn't assume everybody in F is the enemy - give the pax the benefit of the doubt, motion them to stay, then politely explain why when you have the chance... don't break down into an accusatory hissy fit.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Evan!
[not counting the recent leak of TSA procedures]
Kudos to the AA customer service manager. I hope he firmly but politely explained to the offending FA why the reaction was inappropriate.
I don't know what was said, but the offending FA worked in the back for the rest of the flight. The Y FA who came forward to F apoligized on his behalf.

But this could have been VERY different had there not been witnesses/a customer service manager across the aisle.

I was on a $200 tickhet upgraded to F... ok I am expendable.

What if the guy next to me had paid full freight - then be treated like that?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
I don't know what was said, but the offending FA worked in the back for the rest of the flight. The Y FA who came forward to F apoligized on his behalf.

But this could have been VERY different had there not been witnesses/a customer service manager across the aisle.
That's why I like this story so much. It's a fantasy situation. No he said/she said. Since "rude" is subjective the FA could have claimed that they were never rude had you reported this incident to customer service. With a CS manager there you were golden.
I was on a $200 tickhet upgraded to F... ok I am expendable.
Not in my book. You are not expendable even if you are on a free ticket in FC.
What if the guy next to me had paid full freight - then be treated like that?
Your beef is just as justified as his beef even though he paid more. Just my opinion. Should you be served last because your fare was cheaper? I don't think so. You deserve the same good treatment as him. IMHO
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage
What will happen to the FA over this is NOTHING. The union will make the company apologize to her & maybe even give her time off because she has been stressed over all of this & now needs time to recover. I think the union will call this a HOSTILE WORK ENVIROMENT or something. Never mind they & the APA union are creating a HOSTILE TRAVEL ENVIROMENT for everyone. Just look to BA for a great example of this coming up.

I hate Cattle Car type flying, but at least Southwest Unions arent STUPID like AA's are. They understand the PAXs are their ultimate bosses & do what is needed to keep them happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.