Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Evan!
Okay, so let me see if I have this right. You list the following times during an average flight that pax use the bathrooms the most:
  1. After first chime (still climbing) pax will get up.
  2. Before preferences are taken.
  3. Seatbelt sign off (multiple pax)
  4. Just before meal/tray delivery...
  5. Meal/tray pickup,
  6. after movie.
  7. After sundae's.
  8. After water handed-out.
  9. As soon as cart is blocking aisle/lav
  10. after NBC Universal on American.
  11. During or
  12. after cookie's,
  13. sparkling water,
  14. prepare for landing....
  15. one last one as FAs take their seats for landing

IOW, all throughout the flight. Yep, sounds like a very organized conspiracy.

Funny (your word ) that "when the pilots want to use the bathroom" is not on your list. We'll call that one #16.
I believe that falls under #9 with the blocking carts
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by mvoight
I believe that falls under #9 with the blocking carts
I took #9 to mean when the cart is in the aisle thus blocking passengers from making their way to the lavs.

My point is, and I hope sluggo knows I'm playing with him, is that it could be perceived by FAs that pax always want to use the lav at the most inopportune times. When really it could be that he remembers the times it interfered with his work but not the times it did not. If pax do all approach at time #9 couldn't one of the other 14 times listed coincide?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Pilots would fall in any position, but in my scenario, #9 would be along with pilots needing to use the lav. Remember, they have to coordinate with the FAs to go, so carts blocking aisle/lav would be the case for Pilots needing their time....Pax do not have to call and coordinate to use the lav(well, not with me at least...)

I actually had one pilot that as soon as we took off and we were above sterile cockpit, he had to go and couldn't wait for their usual time-frame sometime later in-flight
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Wow. I just heard about this today and I am flabbergasted! The real heroes of this story are the other passengers who stood up for the wronged PE passenger and inconvenienced themselves to stand up for him.

This FA should be fired. If AA kept her on, and she did something else mentally unstable that injured a passenger, for instance, AA's liabilities would be enormous.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by Evan!
[not counting the recent leak of TSA procedures]
The TSA has maintained that it doesn't have to explain its procedures because that would be exposing information that terrorists could use against us. So on one had they withhold publicizing the procedures and rules for when a pilot needs to use the lav or just leave the cockpit.
At this point, the bad guys already know what current security protocol is for opening the cockpit door, and I'm guessing they figured it out less than 90 days after it was instituted, probably by doing something as simple as ceaselessly polling friends and relatives who fly regularly.

Sort of like the Taliban/Al Qaeda eavesdropping on the unencrypted data feed from Predator drones, which they have probably been doing for the last 2 years.

Despite years of experience indicating that the opposition is smart and well informed, we still design security protocols that assume the bad guys are a bunch of idiots, which is precisely the best way to get our asses kicked.
Bunch of Westmorelands.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by ceverett
At this point, the bad guys already know what current security protocol is for opening the cockpit door, and I'm guessing they figured it out less than 90 days after it was instituted, probably by doing something as simple as ceaselessly polling friends and relatives who fly regularly.

Sort of like the Taliban/Al Qaeda eavesdropping on the unencrypted data feed from Predator drones, which they have probably been doing for the last 2 years.

Despite years of experience indicating that the opposition is smart and well informed, we still design security protocols that assume the bad guys are a bunch of idiots, which is precisely the best way to get our asses kicked.
Bunch of Westmorelands.
Are you suggesting a more militaristic approach to airline security? I would love to see my young men in uniform, with their deferential attitudes, asking me to remove my belt.

Last edited by skylady; Dec 18, 2009 at 1:19 am Reason: omg sp
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Actually the funny part is that virtually every FA knows exactly when I plan to use the facilities and manages to bring the cart out a few seconds before I start to get up. Do they teach you that in FA boot camp?
Actually the funny part is that I know exactly when Sluggo is gonna bring out the cart, so I use the facilities first!

... but i gotta say i'm stayin' away from that damn OJ from now on just to be safe!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:20 am

You will always be safe with apple juice.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: FT
thankfully with my child with me these days, i have my trusty video camera pretty much at all times...one time when i was getting some very odd behaviour from a employee of a company i was having issues with, i had my spouce start recording.....it was remarkable to see what changed when you have a perfect witness....too bad someone did not have their cell phone cam recording.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:24 am

I always wear a mac & Wellies when I ask for OJ in BA Club World.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
Ok, I stand corrected, not a "press release", just a letter to the media offering Gold to anyone quoted in the article. Still to Delta.
With no skin to either airline, I thought the move was hilarious. So, ^^^ to Delta.

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
You'd be surprised at how many FAs actually do pay attention when pax go....it never seems to fail that when one person gets up to go, one is right behind them trying to open the locked lav door.... I see it roughly 85% of the time on my flights while working in F.
I notice that too. Very funny. Always makes my flight when I see that. Yes, I'm easily amused.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
thankfully with my child with me these days, i have my trusty video camera pretty much at all times...one time when i was getting some very odd behaviour from a employee of a company i was having issues with, i had my spouce start recording.....it was remarkable to see what changed when you have a perfect witness....too bad someone did not have their cell phone cam recording.
Maybe they would have acted differently if you held up a cell phone pretending like you were recording. People behave differently when they think they are being filmed.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Bunch of Westmorelands.
I think you're right... makes me think of a James Bond villain and the Austin Powers spoofs. Let's make an impossibly complicated gadget (protocol) then expect that everything will work out right (never does) and then we demand 100% success (fugghedaboudit) to ensure the hero (villain terrorists) don't get away (and do something horrible).
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Maybe they would have acted differently if you held up a cell phone pretending like you were recording. People behave differently when they think they are being filmed.
Just watch the series Airline with Southwest pax, you'll see how differently they behave!
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Bunch of Westmorelands.
No, we designed the kabuki theater of security protocols so as to reassure nervous-nelly infrequent flyer tourists that the gov't is "on top of things", so they'll continue to hop on the plane to go see Aunt Tilly. At least we're not still engaging in the idiocy of stationing National Guard troops at security check points; remember those?

Frequent flyers know that the salient factor is that, forevermore, the bad guys no longer have the element of surprise and can no longer count on complacency and passivity on the part of the victims. What with increased gov't pre-board screening, PAX who will try to rip them to shreds, and flight deck crews who are prepared to depressurize the cabin and fly closer to the performance envelop of the aircraft (i.e., play Top Gun), the old hijack scenarios are very unlikely. No matter what gets done with the drink cart.

BTW, I have gotten out of my seat when the cart was in block mode, while sitting in F: and walked to the back of the plane to use the Y lav. I didn't get tackled or arrested. The cart was in place for a full 20 minutes on my wristwatch, mainly so that the FO could flirt with one of the female FA's (I was in row 3 in an MD-80 and could hear what was going on). I threw the other FC FA (a guy) something of a dirty look when I got up, and he shrugged and mumbled something to the effect of "they're the boss".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.