Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:50 pm

Looks like AA decided against the flight attendant.

http://cbs13.com/local/orange.juice....2.1374256.html
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
FTA:

As to the flight attendant in question, American has taken specific action related to that employee. Because this is a private personnel matter, we cannot disclose the nature of those actions.

Slapped on the hand. Possibly a small suspension. Not fired.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by codex57
Looks like AA decided against the flight attendant.

http://cbs13.com/local/orange.juice....2.1374256.html
American Airlines has been in communication with those customers who were most directly affected by this incident. During that communication, we have apologized to them and taken other appropriate steps. In addition, we apologize to any customer who was inconvenienced by this situation. As to the flight attendant in question, American has taken specific action related to that employee. Because this is a private personnel matter, we cannot disclose the nature of those actions.
Woo-hoo!!! My prophecy is coming true!!!
1) I'm guessing "other appropriate steps" include a non-disclosure agreement so we will never know what those include... however, I suspect it does include getting OJ guy off of the blogosphere and TV sets.
2) Helen... there's absolutely nothing AA can discuss relating to her.

Oh well...

PS. Thanks dstan for the commentary. It's much appreciated.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Tim Smith referred to her an an employee and not a former employee. That is all the news I take out of that article. My guess is that with union rules an FA cannot move from employee to former employee very quickly --- even in cases where AA would feel this is warranted. I don't know, however, if this is even one of those cases.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Originally Posted by MM983
FTA:

Slapped on the hand. Possibly a small suspension. Not fired.
More conclusion drawing eh?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by inyourvillages
More conclusion drawing eh?
Yep. I know the AA sub-forum hates that; it's preferred to live under smoke and mirrors I guess and let the corporate PR machines win. Oh well.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by emma dog
Woo-hoo!!! My prophecy is coming true!!!
1) I'm guessing "other appropriate steps" include a non-disclosure agreement so we will never know what those include... however, I suspect it does include getting OJ guy off of the blogosphere and TV sets.
2) Helen... there's absolutely nothing AA can discuss relating to her.

Oh well...

PS. Thanks dstan for the commentary. It's much appreciated.
Maybe, maybe not about the NDA and getting off the blogosphere. I don't know about OJ guy himself but Dave Koss, the one who originally publicized the incident, has not updated his web page to indicate that AA has resolved it NOR has he removed his unflattering portrayal of American.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Yep. I know the AA sub-forum hates that; it's preferred to live under smoke and mirrors I guess and let the corporate PR machines win. Oh well.
I have no vested interest in AA; I'm primarily a DL flyer.

Just think it's funny to jump to conclusions and state them as fact. If they're in the process of firing her they'd likely say the exact same thing.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
No, most of us prefer to deal with things that are real (some call them facts) and minimize the rampant speculation that goes on. Since it seems that you don't know what actually happened- guess which category your statement falls into? Guess again.

(By the way, I'm not even saying I think you're wrong- just randomly speculating,and getting testy when caught out for it.)

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Dec 16, 2009 at 5:25 pm
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
It means that 3.5 years ago a US flight attendant has similarly over-reacted to a passenger and her name happened to be Helen. I would not be surprised if that is the same individual, however, we will never know.
3.5 years ago? USAirways doesnt have CHAMPAGNE. How'd that happen?

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
A pilot came to talk to us, and treated us to champagne..
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by inyourvillages
I have no vested interest in AA; I'm primarily a DL flyer.
Delta Offers Gold Status To Victims Of Pyschotic American Airlines Stewardess

IMHO, this ceased to be strictly a internal AA issue when it escalated up to including the FAA with the warning. In the TV interviews I never got any indication that the OJ pax was saying DYKWIA. He was defending her assertion that he didn't know the procedures for breakfast service. I believe he was simply quoting his extensive travel on AA to support his claim that her reaction dumbfounded him. This pax has a HUGE stake in the outcome because he could be put on a no-fly list by just AA or, even worse, be a target by the TSA when he tries to fly any airline. I would want to clear my name especially if I felt I 1) had always maintained an appropriate composure, 2) protected myself from being mis-quoted by refusing to go to the privacy of the front galley, and 3) make my living in a job that requires flying.

Seems like many players want to protect her ability to earn a living. What about his ability to earn a living?

One other note he made in the TV interview. If she was accusing him of being a possible threat (which the pilot supported by issuing the warning) why then would she invite him, alone, up to an area very close to the cockpit door? Wouldn't she be at risk being alone with an "threatening" passenger? She is her own worst enemy because this alone shows she never considered him a threat to the flight.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
Maybe, maybe not about the NDA and getting off the blogosphere. I don't know about OJ guy himself but Dave Koss, the one who originally publicized the incident, has not updated his web page to indicate that AA has resolved it NOR has he removed his unflattering portrayal of American.
Bummer. Maybe (fingers crossed) there's an NDA that says "no further posts, no further interviews." I had a settlement years ago against a large corporation (non-aviation... and long bankrupt) from a small claims court case that had wording "preventing" me from ever mentioning that company's name on the internet.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Way to stay classy Delta. Should AA offer Gold status and send out a press release to those passengers on the DL/NW flight that overshot MSP by 100 miles or to the passengers on the DL plane that landed on the taxi way? Rhetorical question, I don't think that AA should stoop to Delta's level.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Only on QANTAS...

I think folks here are going to have to rely on a bit of patience and allow for some due process. I rather suspect with all the pufflicity AA will walk tippy toe for a few days.

All in all, I am surprised - pleasantly - several other pax were willing to stand up and be counted, to provide input in such a situation. (The fact they did for the OJ flyer provides an implication he was right / she was wrong, but we don't know that at this point.)

Originally Posted by Blumie
Is the captain supposed to convene a kangaroo court mid flight?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
Way to stay classy Delta. Should AA offer Gold status and send out a press release to those passengers on the DL/NW flight that overshot MSP by 100 miles or to the passengers on the DL plane that landed on the taxi way? Rhetorical question, I don't think that AA should stoop to Delta's level.
The guy that made the offer is Chuck Imhof who was coincidentally sued by AA for stealing company secrets and moving over to DL.

Here: American Airlines sues NY exec over Delta jump

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.