Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2010 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:57 am

Darn it! I guess there's no other way?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
So you need 12K miles.
Time for a MR!
Luckily for you until Dec 15 you can fly 6K miles and get 12K.

Seeing how you need 5K EQPs for a Gold Challenge you might as well do a run for 6K mileswhile you have status.

Edit
__________________________________________________ ____

Here is someone in DFW who needs 2K miles:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...lp-newbie.html

May give you some ideas.

Originally Posted by paulndallas
I typically have flown 25,000 - 30,000 miles per year putting me in the Gold on the AA program. But this past year I only flew about 13,000 miles. I guess I'll be loosing my Gold status soon after the turn of the year. Other than taking the Gold Challenge (which last I checked AA wanted to charge me for), or flying 25,000 mi...is there another way for me to quickly retain my Gold status?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Gamecock; Dec 8, 2009 at 10:27 am
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Why doesn't it make more sense to loose status, do a PLT challenge in Jan, have PLT for a year, and then drop down to GLD for a year?

That is about $700-800 (DFW-FRA-DFW with 10% discount plus challenge cost) for two years of status.

Am I missing something?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:16 pm

thanks for the tips!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT, Paul!

You'll probably get more and better answers, perhaps even find an existing thread or two on this topic, in the American Airlines forum.

Since your question is specifically about AA, don't be surprised if a moderator moves it.

(With well over 200,000 members and 12 million posts, having focused forums for different topics and keeping things in the right place is the only way to avoid total chaos.)
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Darn it! I guess there's no other way?
A million lifetime miles from any source - not just flying - will get you GLD for life. Think credit cards, hotel transfers, shopping, bonuses, etc....
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines; Southwest; Delta
Smile use partners deals

check out the partner deals. for example you can apply for a citi visa card and get 20K miles if you spend at least $750 in the first three or months of the card (check details on AA web site.). Another idea: buy $2400 of AA air travel gift cards from the susan komen breast cancer race for the cure which can be purchased in $100 denominations (also higher or lower). Although you may not be enthusiastic about spending so much, consider this a) AA donates 10% of your purchase to charity b) you can write off the full 2400 on youir taxes thus the cost is only about 1800 c) you can use the cards for yourself d) you or anyone you give them to can use the cards for air travel anytime as they have no expiration date.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:05 pm

Try for PLT next year, either with a challenge or actually flying. Losing GLD is nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by optionstrader
Another idea: buy $2400 of AA air travel gift cards from the susan komen breast cancer race for the cure which can be purchased in $100 denominations (also higher or lower).
What does this do for status? Does buying GC's get status?

The only reasonable thing I can connect here is 2400 Business ExtrAA points gets a GLD nomination, but GC purchases don't earn B-ExtrAA points..... do they?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:17 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past AA has offered a status buy back (~$300 for gold). No guarantee they will do so in 2010, but it seems to be a good source for a cash infusion.

If you want a guarantee, then you need to fly by 12/31/2009.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:20 pm

Dec 11 - DFW-LAX-JFK arrive at JFK at 6:00 AM Dec 12.

Dec 12 - NYC Christmas shopping spree

Dec 12 - JFK-LAX-DFW

BAM! Your gold again. Slightly above tin, but still gold.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
check out the partner deals. for example you can apply for a citi visa card and get 20K miles if you spend at least $750 in the first three or months of the card (check details on AA web site.). Another idea: buy $2400 of AA air travel gift cards from the susan komen breast cancer race for the cure which can be purchased in $100 denominations (also higher or lower). Although you may not be enthusiastic about spending so much, consider this a) AA donates 10% of your purchase to charity b) you can write off the full 2400 on youir taxes thus the cost is only about 1800 c) you can use the cards for yourself d) you or anyone you give them to can use the cards for air travel anytime as they have no expiration date.
I am not sure anything in this post applies. You cannot qualify for status using anything other than flown miles / points (with the exception of earning 1 million lifetime miles).
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
check out the partner deals.
Wrong answer. Those miles won't count toward status unless the OP can get to at least 1 million.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:35 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I typically have flown 25,000 - 30,000 miles per year putting me in the Gold on the AA program. But this past year I only flew about 13,000 miles. I guess I'll be loosing my Gold status soon after the turn of the year. Other than taking the Gold Challenge (which last I checked AA wanted to charge me for), or flying 25,000 mi...is there another way for me to quickly retain my Gold status?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, paulndallas! Now that your thread has been moved to the AA Forum, it's also been merged into an existing thread on 2010 requalification issues.

Please be sure to check out the DBLEQ thread and promotion (which runs thru 12/15 - hurry!) and additional information in our wiki on status buybacks that *may or may not* be offered after the first of the year (as HNL has already noted above).

/Moderator
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
If you can live without status for six moths, it would be best to do Platinum challenge next year after June 15.

Otherwise, I hope you are signed up for DBEQM. You can fly DFW-FRA on Dec 12 for about $800. Return on Dec 13, or sleep one night and return on Dec 14.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.