Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2010 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emilygrx
I'm confused. Your signature says PLT already. Are you PLT or GLD? <snip>
Perhaps it's an "aspirational" signature.

Regards
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by brp
I wouldn't state this with such certainly unless you have a definitive and reliable source. What has been done in the past may, or may not, happen going forward. With two double mileage promotions this year, there is justifiable reason to question whether this will happen for 2009. Again- unless you have a viable source that has already committed that it will.

Cheers.
Easy there, tiger. Don't rip my head off just yet. My "viable source" is the oft referred to AAdvantage Elite Wiki found at:http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...evels_%28AA%29

If you have reason to doubt the information on the Wiki, perhaps all of us FTers should stop sending newbies there for information...or at least try to change the information therein.

I apologize if I incorrectly stated or implied that it was a defined benefit of the AAdvantage program. It is an unstated benefit.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by grantsi
I will be flying ORD - LHR tomorrow morning. When I land, I will be 428 miles short of PLT. I will be flying back in 2009 so I know I will make it to PLT, however, is there any way of convincing someone at AA to make me PLT before I leave...my main reason (as selfish as it might be) is having access to the admirals club at LHR before we leave. Flying business to LHR, economy back....any advice or is there no hope? Thanks.
Once you make PLT, I look forward to your first post complaining about how crowded an Admirals' Club is...
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by trojanman
Easy there, tiger. Don't rip my head off just yet. My "viable source" is the oft referred to AAdvantage Elite Wiki found at:http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...evels_%28AA%29
I think you are quoting the section that covers exceptions after the qualifying year has ended though so that wouldn't apply in this case.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you have reason to doubt the information on the Wiki, perhaps all of us FTers should stop sending newbies there for information...or at least try to change the information therein.
No reason to doubt the info in the wiki - it is correct when it says "There is an unofficial exception policy for members who come close to qualifying, but don't quite make it. Note that you cannot request an exception before the end of the qualifying year and by then it is too late to fly more if the exception is not granted" and "The Exception Policy can change at any time".

This is rather different to your first post which made it sound like a certainty, nor will it help in the OP's situation as it can't be requested before year end as noted by Mark_T.

Last edited by britenbsas; Dec 21, 2009 at 4:17 pm Reason: Sp.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler

I apologize if I incorrectly stated or implied that it was a defined benefit of the AAdvantage program. It is an unstated benefit.
I believe that brp (apologies for speaking for you) was mainly trying to point out that relying on an unofficial policy can lead to tragedy. Since its not a defined benefit, relying on past practice carries some risk and the 'user' should be aware of the risks before deciding on what to do. Your post seemed to imply that it was a guaranteed fact, when the wiki does indicate that it has been past practice but future practices may change.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Originally Posted by masonp123
I believe that brp (apologies for speaking for you) was mainly trying to point out that relying on an unofficial policy can lead to tragedy. Since its not a defined benefit, relying on past practice carries some risk and the 'user' should be aware of the risks before deciding on what to do. Your post seemed to imply that it was a guaranteed fact, when the wiki does indicate that it has been past practice but future practices may change.
As noted, no reason to doubt the wiki. It is an accurate account of what has gone on in the past. Citing it as an apparent guarantee of future returns, though, is not wise, IMO-especially in light of the two double mileage promotions, as I stated. It would really suck for someone to rely on the implied surety in that post and have it backfire. Just adding clarification

Cheers.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As others have stated, no. The statistical probability of convincing AC staff of providing lounge access to a person with demonstrated Gold status and in economy is probably close to that of a carrot walking in from the field. Uh, whassup, red?

The probability of making Platinum on the return trip is inversely proportional to the previous example.

Congratulations.

The question and resultant thread have been merged into the qual / requal thread, as it is most closely related to status qualification.

I will be flying ORD - LHR tomorrow morning. When I land, I will be 428 miles short of PLT. I will be flying back in 2009 so I know I will make it to PLT, however, is there any way of convincing someone at AA to make me PLT before I leave...my main reason (as selfish as it might be) is having access to the admirals club at LHR before we leave. Flying business to LHR, economy back....any advice or is there no hope? Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by JDiver
... a carrot walking in from the field. Uh, whassup, red?
LOL
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
there is no hope.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:39 pm

There is a manual qualification exception for people who reach 49,000 miles. Not sure how long it take an AAgent to process this exception, but it's worth a call to find out!
as the wiki says (correctly), the past-year thresholds of 24.5/49/99k were automatic, not manual. the computer did the processing.

Originally Posted by JDiver
The statistical probability of convincing AC staff of providing lounge access to a person with demonstrated Gold status and in economy is probably close to that of a carrot walking in from the field. Uh, whassup, red?
the carrot has a much better chance.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:07 am

46,566 points(3,434 until Platinum)

49,110 miles(890 until Platinum)

17 segments(43 until Platinum)

This is my deal. I am close to platinum but just short. My question is whether or not I can BUY the miles needed to reach Platinum status. Or what are my options regarding achieving Platinum. Can I buy a ticket and simply download my boarding pass from the internet without ever actually flying?

I've thumbed through these 11 pages of mind-numbing posts of suggestions and such with little hard information. My questions are specific.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by rdstoll
46,566 points(3,434 until Platinum)

49,110 miles(890 until Platinum)

17 segments(43 until Platinum)

This is my deal. I am close to platinum but just short. My question is whether or not I can BUY the miles needed to reach Platinum status. Or what are my options regarding achieving Platinum. Can I buy a ticket and simply download my boarding pass from the internet without ever actually flying?

I've thumbed through these 11 pages of mind-numbing posts of suggestions and such with little hard information. My questions are specific.
Didn't you just ask this yesterday? And receive a number of specific responses as well?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by rdstoll
49,110 miles(890 until Platinum)...I am close to platinum but just short. My question is whether or not I can BUY the miles needed to reach Platinum status. Can I buy a ticket and simply download my boarding pass from the internet without ever actually flying?
Welcome to FT! Unfortunately only the flights actually flown count towards elite qualification. Fortunately, each flight will earn you at least 500 miles no matter how short it is (IOW a 600-mile flight will earn 600 miles; a 200-mile flight will earn 500 miles, etc).

So fly the cheapest round trip to anywhere before 12/31 and you'll make Platinum.

Good luck.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Two words: Day Pass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.