Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The first refurbished Domestic 752 (24 F seats) entered service on 10/18/09. Around half of the domestic 757 fleet had undergone the Cabin Improvement Project as of late 2012 (some older config still active 03/2014).

• For WChou's first-hand report, see :-: Post #19 :-:; for a few photos by WChou, see Post #26

For more information about this refurbished Domestic 752 configuration, see this previous thread: Boeing 757-223 (Domestic 752) Planned Refurbishments (consolidated)

For information about the new International 75L Configuration, see: Reconfigured "international" 757 "L" / 75L Debut Jan 26 2009

AA Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:18 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
Does anyone know how many domestic 757's (and which tail numbers) have been refurbished as of now?

one.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:36 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Jeez it's been almost a year. What are they waiting for to continue!?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PLT,HH-PLT
are you guys saying that we are losing our couch seats????
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
Jeez it's been almost a year. What are they waiting for to continue!?
You haven't been tracking the 762 (or 763 or 777) conversion paces, haven't you?

Seriously, I've always claimed that the improvements have never been for passenger benefit, but are solely to shed several pounds off the airframe (improvement of passenger experience being a byproduct). With oil cheaper the urgency is no longer there.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Flew 610 last week TPA-MIA. It seemed just like a 738 inside with a wider LCD tv in the aisle and much better takeoff and climb performance. I noticed that I was in seat 6A and the aircraft was a 757, so I was hoping for and received the treat.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:24 am

Moman, sitting in 6A did you notice a difference in pitch? I wasn't sure with AA adding the extra row on that side if the seat pitch would decrease slightly on that side.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
There is definitely a difference in pitch - it is lower than it used to be and also lower than the 738s on which the same seat is used.

It is similar to the MD80 in that left side pitch is marginally lower than right side (although only marginally - the difference is really not significant).

That being said, I much prefer this setup to the "old" domestic 757 setup despite the lower pitch.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:58 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Any update on these planes. Are there any more in the shop? An airliners.net thread suggested more should be coming on line from May/June.

Am flying DFW-ANC, ANC-ORD and EWR-LAX on 757s in late-September and hoping for a shot of at least one of the refurbished birds. At the moment none of the AA seat selections are showing 6A/6B but guessing with only 1/105 complete that it is a fairly last minute sub.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 5:40 am

Seems to me that some of the 757s are nearing retirement and will never see these interior upgrades. The 757 was introduced in 1982 with Eastern, and AA began taking delivery in 1989 of their first 757s. Hence, the oldest AA aircraft have been flying for 21 years. Other legacy carriers such as US air, DL, and NW had been sending their earliest 757s to the scrap yard, some entering service as recently as 1985 and 1986. It may be that AA has not flown their 757s as much as DL, NW, and US, or that they plan to keep them longer, but AA must have considered if it would be worthwhile to do the interiors on some of the A/C over. At the pace that this change is occurring, it is clear that some of these A/C will be scrapped before they come up for conversion. The newest of AA's 757s are the ones that have been upgraded to the 757L configuration.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
According to a recent WSJ article focusing on the 737 cabin makeovers, the 757 cabin refurbishment will start next month.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...265940388.html

Originally Posted by WSJ
At American, a scheduled refurbishment of Boeing 757 coach interiors that was canceled after the 9/11 attacks will start next month. "We just said, this needs to be done. We can't defer it any further, we need to do it now," said Andy Severance, American's manager of cabin interior planning.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
Seems to me that some of the 757s are nearing retirement and will never see these interior upgrades. The 757 was introduced in 1982 with Eastern, and AA began taking delivery in 1989 of their first 757s. Hence, the oldest AA aircraft have been flying for 21 years. Other legacy carriers such as US air, DL, and NW had been sending their earliest 757s to the scrap yard, some entering service as recently as 1985 and 1986. It may be that AA has not flown their 757s as much as DL, NW, and US, or that they plan to keep them longer, but AA must have considered if it would be worthwhile to do the interiors on some of the A/C over. At the pace that this change is occurring, it is clear that some of these A/C will be scrapped before they come up for conversion. The newest of AA's 757s are the ones that have been upgraded to the 757L configuration.
The retirement is going might depend on how quickly and when Boeing will ramp up production of the 787s. AA also has older 762s that will soon need replacement and I assume wants to open more International routes.

Also added into the mix is how many domestic 757 routes will eventually get downgraded to a 737. Personally, I don't see retirement of 757s until the latter part of this decade.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by roseboys3
are you guys saying that we are losing our couch seats????
Hey I feel depraved (sic), I have upgraded on 757s many times and never got a couch seat!!! Was this "couch" in the first class or coach on-board lounge by any chance??
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I was in one of the newly configured 757's today and let me tell you....HALLELUJAH! AA's hard product just got brought up to the 21st century! I am so much happier with the 75s now!!!

If you've flown in a 737 with the new config, it's the same seats, walls, etc. The TVs however are in the middle of the aisle like before, just all LCDs.

I look forward to flying in 757s more often now.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I cannot wait to begin seeing refurbished 752s on flights between SEA and JFK (the forthcoming winter downgrade to 738s notwithstanding). This is one of my most frequented routes, so I'll be looking forward to the long-needed updates in F.

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Hey I feel depraved (sic), I have upgraded on 757s many times and never got a couch seat!!! Was this "couch" in the first class or coach on-board lounge by any chance??
I think this was a reference to the auld-style F seats on non-refrubished 752s that resemble a single couch due to the top parts being right next to each other (rather than separated like the newer F seats on other domestic mainline ships).

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
I was in one of the newly configured 757's today and let me tell you....HALLELUJAH! AA's hard product just got brought up to the 21st century! I am so much happier with the 75s now!!!

If you've flown in a 737 with the new config, it's the same seats, walls, etc. The TVs however are in the middle of the aisle like before, just all LCDs.

I look forward to flying in 757s more often now.
What route did you fly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.